Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awesome iOS App called Stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow beautiful app. Nice job. And yes I wish it used tokens. Way safer. Particular since stealing the password data means stealing your car.

Sigh. But as folks say tokens are more complicated. I wish ud allow an advanced mode.

Reactions: clostridium
No, the app requires iCloud Drive. Your data is stored in your private iCloud. This allows you to switch between different devices that you own and seamlessly access your data.

OK thanks, assume I can use it on my iPad then (which I don’t always carry with me) — assuming the app gets everything it needs when it logs in and pulls data from Tesla account — device doesn’t need to be in the car to correlate position, speed, etc — that right?

Wow beautiful app. Nice job. And yes I wish it used tokens. Way safer. Particular since stealing the password data means stealing your car.

Sigh. But as folks say tokens are more complicated. I wish ud allow an advanced mode.

Thank you @Richt .
Token expires quietly and the app stops working when it expires. IMO keep renewing the token manually degreased the user experience (even for the power users) to the point that it's not worth using the app.
Our privacy policy is very strict (credentials stays on the device except when it is sent to Tesla over encrypted link to get a token from Tesla -- full privacy policy is in the App Store). In addition to privacy policy, it's also helpful to look at the number of apps that the developer has in the App Store (I have published quite a few).

You are correct. The histograms of phantom drain in the app (across thousands of users) clearly indicates that phantom drain with this app installed is quite low (about 0.2mph) and this is the same for model S/X/3 which can be seen separately in the app.

Not affecting phantom drain was one of my main goals and it did make the app design more complex than, but it think it's very important.

Re not being able to de-select: it needs at least one of the 3/s/x to be selected. So, you can deselect 3 by selecting a or x first.

Nope, that does not work. You can never unselect 3 regardless of what else is selected. ;)

No, the app requires iCloud Drive. Your data is stored in your private iCloud. This allows you to switch between different devices that you own and seamlessly access your data.

I smell another FAQ entry ;) That's good to know.

I might move the App to my iPad which is normally plugged in, and shut off background processing on the iPhone.

Thanks. If you choose to not submit data anonymously (I do submit it), does your own collected statistical data remain only on your phone?
Also my understanding is, it's the phone directly communicating with the car (API), not some server (of yours)? The API itself might go through some sort of server of Tesla's and this app doesn't differ from the Tesla App in that regard.

Another way of saying it, if I deleted the app on my phone, all collected statistical data of mine is gone with it and nothing else has my credentials or data kept elsewhere (except perhaps my own iCloud backups). Again, this is in the context that I didn't submit my statistical data anonymously.

And for others curious minds, the app does NOT automatically submit anonymous stats and prompts you if you want to contribute or not.

For the record, the Teslafi.com model is uncomfortable to me. Like if something went wrong (say a bug or site was hacked) I don't like a 3rd entity independent access to my car. If something goes wrong in this model (your Stats app) I can turn off my phone, kill the app or delete the app. MY phone keeps control. This assumes the answer to my question above is that only the phone communicates to the API :). If a bug or hack happened on Teslafi.com I might not be able to "disable it" because the site has a bug or has been hacked to lock me out.

Regarding the teslafi model... just go to Tesla.com and change your password. That expires all existing tokens.

I smell another FAQ entry ;) That's good to know.

I might move the App to my iPad which is normally plugged in, and shut off background processing on the iPhone.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add it to the app description in the AppStore and to the FAQ. The app does notify the user if iCloud Drive is disabled.
iPhone without iCloud is impaired significantly. Some enterprises take the lazy approach by blocking everything IMO.

Ah, I figured out the sequence I was using and it was failing.

Unselect S,
Unselect X,
Unselect 3 (correctly does not unselect),
Reselect X,
Unselect 3 (it will not unselect even though X (and/or S) is enabled.

If you go straight to Unselect 3, it works.

No biggy. Thanks for making the Video.
Tried your sequence as well and it works. Maybe you don't touch the button fully?

Curious. Since this app stores data in a user’s iCloud Drive and since I don’t believe iCloud family members can share iCloud Drive folders, I’m curious how the app handles family sharing? Example, the wife and I each have Teslas and share one set of Tesla Account credentials to access both cars via the Tesla app.

Would this app simply use each of our own iCloud Drives to store mirrored versions of the data?

Thanks!

Curious. Since this app stores data in a user’s iCloud Drive and since I don’t believe iCloud family members can share iCloud Drive folders, I’m curious how the app handles family sharing? Example, the wife and I each have Teslas and share one set of Tesla Account credentials to access both cars via the Tesla app.

Would this app simply use each of our own iCloud Drives to store mirrored versions of the data?

Thanks!
Good question.
You are correct; Private iCloud Drive is not shared among family (it's private). Apple Family Sharing just allows family members to to download the app for free.
My wife and I both use the app. The app on each of our phones populates the respective iCloud Drive independently.
If you have more than one Tesla the app also supports multiple cars per Tesla account.

• Helpful
Reactions: skitown