Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Bangs" and "Clunks" when charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am grateful for this thread, it's rare for our car, but whenever i heard the thud sound it was always this mind f*ck where I'm thinking I"swear the road was clear, how did i hit something that big."

I know this is just the car and still check my review each time expecting to see an object in the road. It can be really loud at times. I live up on a ridge and when I go up and down the hill it is the loudest.

Just checking in this thread. It's been about 2 weeks since my breathers replacement and I'm getting the thunks still, they just sound different. Clearly elevation changes in cold climates, one or both are factors for me. Fairly regular. My daughter (who is 10 and loves driving with me) pokes fun at the fact that we can almost always predict when this will occur on a hill close by our home.

As a reference to others in this thread - the service center said it could be a concern if you could CAUSE a thunk, like with kicking or driving, or moving the car or something, vs something that doesn't appear to have any visible cause. There's a difference there that might deserve a check.

Returned my M3 LR AWD in October due to this issue...had the following text exchange with my Colorado saleman recently
Hi,
Giving some thought to ordering another M3. Is it a given that it will thud when charging + changing elevation in cold temps, or do you think there is a chance I'll get a Tesla that doesn't do that? Thanks,

Hey, since you had the issue I haven't heard of anyone else having that same issue. One of our advisors has been to the mountians in all kinds of conditions in his model 3 and has had no problems. I would say you should be good.

Had my car in for service this week for an unrelated issue but brought this up to them and mentioned the service bulletin. They said they’re no longer performing this bulletin as they’ve realized replacing the breathers does not resolve the issue. Tesla engineering has concluded that it is “normal” and nothing can/will be done about it.

The replacement definitely reduced the bang in my Model 3. A normal thud is the one you get when there is a software update. If yours is louder, then I would think replacing the breathers would help.

The thud is more of an annoyance whereas the bang scares the pants off of you.

Mine always makes these sounds when I charge from a 50kW DC charger. Strangely I haven’t noticed any odd sounds when using a 120kW Supercharger.

I guess most owners in the USA will either slow-charge or supercharge. Since our Model 3s use the CCS socket, we have about 200 Veefil/Delta chargers across New Zealand, and only five Superchargers. Therefore I think thumps and bangs will be common for us :) I suggest perhaps this is what the infamous “flufferbot” might have helped to prevent, before the fluff was eliminated from production!

-Alex

I also think it’s normal. Expansion of the battery chemical or residual energy.

Why do you think some EVs have thudding/banging while others don't?

While the issue seems somewhat common on the M3, it doesn't seem to affect all M3 owners and I haven't seen much/any mention of it with the X or S...while the weather was a bit warmer, I didn't get the thudding on the same drive with the X I test drove (about 200 miles) as I did on the 3 I returned.

I am in the middle of software update sitting in my car at a shopping mall.
I have been sitting in the car for about about hour. I started the update after a while. Heat is on with the fan on 1.
Suddenly, I hear a loud bang under the car as if some rock hit the bottom of the car. Then the fan stopped.
The software update is still at about 60%. I hope everything is OK.

Just had my first one yesterday, brand new 2020 SR+, sitting in my garage. I got into my car to do some cleaning, so the car turned on, after a few minutes when I was sitting on the rear seat I heard the bang, and I can actually feel it under my feet, immediately after that I can hear the fans turning off.

It’s certainly not normal and I’ve only experienced it on my Model 3. I had a Tesla Roadster from 2012 until July 2019 this year and it never made any bangs or thunks and I drive in the mountains all the time. Granted the max charging rate on the Roadster was 70 Amps single phase (22kW) and unable to use DC charging like the Model 3, but not once did I hear this with large elevation changes in winter (living in Switzerland and driving in the Alps).

I had my breather valves changed on my TM3P 3 weeks ago and it is much less frequent now but still occurs. One of my good friends is a SC service manager and he mentioned that they are still looking into a more permanent solution but for now this is the band-aid approach they have with the new breathers to release more pressure during heat transfer and elevation changes.

To compare I have had my SR+ for 2 months and the only time I heard something like this was using a supercharger at 100kw+ a second time on the return after 180 mile stint. First time I had heard the fans come on at all to cool and it was a sound just like metal expansion under the floor. As I had read about this here before I felt it was quite normal. Other fast charges none. However none of the extreme elevation changes.