Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That could eliminate a lot of destination chargers. For those at B&B's or hotels where people let their cars charge overnight a 15a may be all they need and much better than nothing.
True. I wasn't thinking about hotels. The slow chargers I've ran into lately have been at restaurants. One was at a quick service restaurant. We stayed for 45 minutes and I got a whopping 3 miles with a HPWC.

That said, when you charge you should add a review to Chargerville with your experience including volt/amp and MPH charge rates.
Didn't know about Chargerville. I've been leaving reviews on plugshare.

If it's L2 then it will be less than the 29 MPH of a 10 kW EVSE. Most are 7.6 kW or less. A year or so ago the EVSE at Barber Motorsports Museum was less than 5 kW. It's gone now, museum expansion built on top.

It's painful to travel via L2 but for overnight stays.
The check-ins all say 20-22mi/hr so I'm assuming it's a 30-amp, probably 240V (7.2kW).

I'm seriously stoked that B'ham is finally in the works. Even with a 100% charge on my P85, Greenville is a stretch. Last time we drove south, my outdoor EVSE had overheated and we had to leave with about 85% charge and no ChaDeMo adapter. Between hypermiling and topping up for an hour on L2 at Benton, it took us 5 hours to go the 220 miles. Wife is still griping about that night. B'ham SuC would have made that 3.5hrs, tops.
Looks to me like this site is at the Westin next to the SEC offices. Decent block for food and drink, and close to Dysfunction Junction. Could do a lot worse.

Are any of our Birmingham local friends in a position to make regular checks on the site? I make a round trip to Montgomery monthly and could swing through then... can't wait to see it open. Getting to the Gump is easy, but finding enough charge to get home after 2 days, while working, without leaving the car in a sketchy spot for an entire day, is a real challenge.
N4HHE, are you linked to TVEV? Any chance we've met? I had a white Volt till recently, just got my black P85 this summer. --JBB

Are any of our Birmingham local friends in a position to make regular checks on the site?
I'll be stopping by almost weekly to check on construction progress since I'll be in the area anyway.

Btw, if anyone is going to be stopping by the Greenville supercharger soon, perhaps you could take a can of insect spray and hose down the three chargers that are quite literally covered in spider webs.

I never thought about it but I guess it's really up to us to somewhat mainten these things. I'm going to put some insect spray and some Lysol wipes in the car.

Reactions: BigAirHarper
The Tesla Supercharger map showing proposed 2016 locations is a figment of Tesla's imagination. For instance, their map shows 5 supercharger locations across Nebraska by the end of 2016. As of today, there is only one permit open for one supercharger location in Lincoln, NE. No construction has started at any of the Nebraska locations noted on their 2016 map. Tesla needs to update their map for proposed 2016 installations.

Reactions: Drucifer
No construction has started at any of the Nebraska locations noted on their 2016 map.
You left out the "... that we know of." part. Tesla doesn't publicize permitting or construction of superchargers, only their opening (and that usually well after the site is functional). So it's entirely possible that sites will magically appear in Nebraska and elsewhere, either under construction or open, just as they recently did in several Texas locations.

That said, I don't expect to see anything open in Nebraska this year. Next year for sure.

Regarding the accuracy of Tesla's map of future SC locations, they usually do a mass update to that map in November or December to bring it back to reality, i.e. shoving all the aspirational stations out another year.

Back to Birmingham news ... From a picture posted in the Atlanta Tesla owner/fan group on Facebook, construction is now well underway. DoubleOhWhat, get on it :)

Attachments

• birmingham.jpg
    birmingham.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 104
Tuesday? Today is Friday ...Tuesday is in 4 days ..... I .. CAN'T...WAIT... I might have to drive down there this weekend (its only 230 miles each way).

Can anyone post any more pictures? The Atlanta Tesla Facebook page is a closed group, so I can't check out the entire post.

Sorry, I have to spend all weekend picking out the perfect spot in my garage for the new powerwalls :D

My wife already pointed out that our current roof is only a year old. So apparently I have to wait before installing a solar roof and telling my solar panel hating HOA to suck it.

Unfortunately, after looking at that photo again, I know exactly where these stalls are at. They're gonna get ICE'd during busy periods unless they have a parking attendant that will enforce the rules.

I wish they would have at least placed it on the south side of that parking lot. Putting charging stalls in prime parking spots is just asking for ICE problems.

Uh, Slim, go back to page 6 of this thread and read from there to catch up.

This thread is tracking progress on the first/only supercharging location in Birmingham. Up to page 6 (Oct 4th) it was all conjecture (and whining). Since then it's been anticipation, as the construction permit was spotted.