Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 650 dash cam settings (Security LED)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was curious as to whether people leave the "Security LED" on during parking/normal mode. I've read that a lot of people disable the blinking lights to make it more obscure. However, since having a dash cam is about increased security, wouldn't a blinking light deter people even further from messing with your car? I suppose on the flip side it might encourage others to steal it?

What settings do you keep active on your Blackvue?

Last edited:
FWIW, mine are off in our 2 S. I actually don't want to attract attention and given how brazen the smash-and-grab perps are, am not sure the lights on the Blackvue (or on any other car) are a deterrent. Also note that the soft white indicator light on the rear camera cannot be turned off.

just got my Blackvue and I've turned all the LEDs off - don't want to attract attention, the cams are very stealth as-is. Since I'm not using the cloud feature I don't have wi-fi auto-on, and only manually turn wifi on so nomally no wi-fi light. the rear cam LED is taped over for now, but I have some black touchup paint that I think I might try on that

just got my Blackvue and I've turned all the LEDs off - don't want to attract attention, the cams are very stealth as-is. Since I'm not using the cloud feature I don't have wi-fi auto-on, and only manually turn wifi on so nomally no wi-fi light. the rear cam LED is taped over for now, but I have some black touchup paint that I think I might try on that

I would just use the black tape, don't want to possibly void the warranty with paint

Reactions: Maximus8
Just installed my camera. Besides the obvious settings like time zone, miles vs km, etc., wonder what everyone has changed from default.

For example, are you using the Cloud? Pros/cons?
Have you changed sensitivity? Seems like I've generated a ton of files in a short time. What is a good setting for this?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks.

Just installed my camera. Besides the obvious settings like time zone, miles vs km, etc., wonder what everyone has changed from default.

For example, are you using the Cloud? Pros/cons?
Have you changed sensitivity? Seems like I've generated a ton of files in a short time. What is a good setting for this?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks.
I've been using the cloud when my car is parked in my garage and can pick up home wifi. During that time I can easily go through videos to look for an "events" and save them to internal memory or cloud if necessary. I've been toying with the idea of leaving a 4G iPad mini in my car at all times so it's constantly connected to cloud. The only downside of cloud is that is slower, in my experience, then direct wifi connection. The benefit is that I can be inside on the couch with cloud versus inside my car with direct wifi. Other thing I've noticed is that it doesn't always connect back to Cloud when I pull into my garage. I unplugged and replugged the power and that seems to have fixed it.

Parking motion sensitivity is down to about 8. It's still super sensitive and picks up major (and sometimes minor motion). Below 10 it doesn't really pick up bugs or particles of dust floating in the air. According to recommendations, I've left all the other sensitivity settings at factory.

I've also turned all the lights off except for the small white wifi lights that can't be turned off (people put black tape over them). The audio alerts have been turned off as well.

For anyone having a problem with syncing the correct time, when I purchased a 64gb San Disk microSD, I formatted it to FAT32 on my Mac then placed it in the camera and it corrected automatically. The memory card that came preinstalled would never sync time zone properly. Problem solved.

I also turned off and blocked all lights. I don't want a perpetrator taking the camera as well in case I have a break in.

Has anyone been able to get GPS data working on the camera?

I'm using this repeater from Amazon:

Amazon.com: SBG-190: iTrek GPS Re-radiating antenna / GPS Signal Booster for Garmin Nuvi TomTom Magellan and other portable navigation GPS: Electronics

and it works well for both the blackview and VBOX Sport. Number of sats and strength on the Sport are about the same as the dedicated racelogic antenna. Haven't noted any interference with the car.

One more question...
I've noticed my (Android) cellphone battery is draining a lot quicker the last few days. Only recent app added is Blackvue C. I don't run it often. Is it sucking up a lot of juice in the background or is it just coincidence?

I'm using this repeater from Amazon:

Amazon.com: SBG-190: iTrek GPS Re-radiating antenna / GPS Signal Booster for Garmin Nuvi TomTom Magellan and other portable navigation GPS: Electronics

and it works well for both the blackview and VBOX Sport. Number of sats and strength on the Sport are about the same as the dedicated racelogic antenna. Haven't noted any interference with the car.
Where did you place the antenna?

BTW, is there a way to Direct message a member with this new forum software? I can't seem to find it.

Where did you place the antenna?

BTW, is there a way to Direct message a member with this new forum software? I can't seem to find it.
The GPS antenna is on the lower driver side windshield, outside, simply taped to the windshield. Keep thinking I'll do something more permanent, but haven't yet. The inside repeater antenna is inside the driver's side yacht floor side panel.