Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth phone as key is coming to Model S and Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure it works like this.
Elon has random thought, posts it on Twitter as a new feature coming.
Elon arrives at work the next day and is told you know we can't technically do that.
A year passes and everyone has forgotten about the random tweet feature that is coming soon.
Elon has a perfect roll at Tesla but it shouldn't involve dealing with the public in any way.

I was really excited when Elon tweeted that this feature was coming to ALL Tesla’s... after owning my car for a year I have learned as many others that tweets from Elon related to features/updates are nothing to be excited about... because it will most likely not happen!

I am also a “keyless/careless” person so being able to drop the keyfob would be great!
I have created a “workaround” with the Tesla API so I can now use Apple home app on my watch or Siri to unlock and remote start the car with just one command/button (no password needed) not as fancy as Bluetooth, but works better and faster then the Tesla app

I was really excited when Elon tweeted that this feature was coming to ALL Tesla’s... after owning my car for a year I have learned as many others that tweets from Elon related to features/updates are nothing to be excited about... because it will most likely not happen!

I am also a “keyless/careless” person so being able to drop the keyfob would be great!
I have created a “workaround” with the Tesla API so I can now use Apple home app on my watch or Siri to unlock and remote start the car with just one command/button (no password needed) not as fancy as Bluetooth, but works better and faster then the Tesla app
Using shortcuts?

Being able to use ones phone to initiate summon in situations where there is no cell connection has to be an advantage. If say parked deep underground with absolutely zero signal and someone parks you in, a Bluetooth connection would be great. In Australia for some reason, we are not able to use the keyfob for this action. (Just like we don’t have a browser, for better or worse).

• Helpful
Reactions: Bill_75D
I'm pretty sure it works like this.
Elon has random thought, posts it on Twitter as a new feature coming.
Elon arrives at work the next day and is told you know we can't technically do that.
Elon fires the employee who tells him it cannot be done.
Elon finds a manager who says it's possible and they will work ad hard at it as they can.

A year passes and everyone has forgotten about the random tweet feature that is coming soon.
Elon has a perfect roll at Tesla but it shouldn't involve dealing with the public in any way.
You missed a couple of steps.

WTF. Where’s the shrug emoji when you need it

AB41303A-62D1-4FF7-9D1F-7C27EE05F2C6.jpeg

This seems so easy and so important to bring to parity with the technology superior Model 3 has to offer /S. One of the biggest things I wish they’d follow through with.

Call me crazy, but I don’t think pushing the most complained about, buggy, unreliable Model 3 feature to the S/X for the sake of parity should be high up the list of priorities.

This “technology superior” feature was a cost cutting measure. Be ever thankful Tesla gave you a pair of hardware fobs on the house instead of making you cough up $300 for them.

This seems so easy and so important to bring to parity with the technology superior Model 3 /S. One of the biggest things I wish they’d folllow through with.
Call me crazy, but I don’t think pushing the most complained about, buggy, unreliable Model 3 feature to the S/X for the sake of parity should be high up the list of priorities.

This “technology superior” feature was a cost cutting measure. Be ever thankful Tesla gave you a pair of hardware fobs on the house instead of making you cough up $300 for them.

I don’t know why some people have issues with this and others don’t. I would say my wife and I’d phone keys on our iOS devices (and we’ve used multiple generations) have been one of the most reliable features on either cars. I honestly have more issues with my S keys.

Sorry, maybe it seemed like I disagree with you, I don't. My point was that I don't think the Model 3 "phone as key" feature requires you to unlock your phone, If the current implementation doesn't I doubt that the future Model S / Model X feature would, that is all.
[edit] doh, just saw that this was an old part of the thread I replied to. Sorry. [/edit]

That’s right. Your phone just has to be connected via Bluetooth to the Model 3 for it to be openable when you push the door handle. Just like the Model S/X key: if it is in range then the car is effectively unlocked.

My SO has a Model 3. We have both my model S and their model 3 accessible from our Tesla apps. You can prevent the Model 3 being unlocked/openable by either: moving to show the model S on the app; or by turning Bluetooth off.

Since I use Bluetooth quite a bit, swiping to the Model S is a bit more convenient than turning Bluetooth off to avoid the car sitting ‘unlocked’ on the driveway.

Nonetheless, you’d need to deal with PIN to drive to make off in the Model 3.

Looks like my car security may become challenging when we change my Model S for an S, X, or Y in due course.