Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bonnie's Xcellent Adventure w/X Sig 2 - Config, Delivery, Roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T-logo is dark because it's recessed and the position of the sun cast it into shade.

I drove 145 miles home from Fremont on Sunday in heavy rain - and autopilot never hiccuped once. I was surprised, since when driving loaner Model S, I typically have lost AP when rain/road dirt have occluded it from working properly. Kind of a 'what magic is this??' moment.

But it's a simple explanation. Those clever engineers at Tesla put the front-facing radar BEHIND the front bumper. It stays clean. And we can't see it. :)

View attachment 105250

Would the license plate then go under the radar?

I think it's also transformative in terms of reaching a whole new audience. Most SUVs/CUVs never go off-road. Most (I think) turn out to be family commuting cars around town. This car should have tremendous appeal to the youngish parent set -- that set that can afford a fancy BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche or similar SUV -- and let them all feel good about the environment while cramming in kids and car seats. The accessibility of the 2nd and 3rd rows via the FWD will be very attractive.

With the SC network headed towards critical mass, Tesla now has a no-apologies low-cost-to-operate high-performance American-oversized-family-car.

Wow!

Alan

Indeed. I also never cared for SUVs at all, only slightly liking the Porsche Cayenne (Plug In, of course). But I think I've shifted from a plan to get an S to a plan to get an X. We'll see. My return to the US/FL is still in limbo. But I'm starting to think an X is in the future.

I think I'd really prefer the Y, but I likely can't wait that long. :D

in any case, I see this vehicle being more transformative than the Model S (or maybe equally so... hard to discount the tremendous work the S did shaking up the auto world). It is just so much better than any SUV/CUV I've ever seen.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, so what's the solution for the rear-facing camera? Does the X somehow do better with that camera than the S?

In my S, the rear facing camera is an absolute delight until weather sets in. Rain, snow, mud, dust... the rear-facing camera stops conveying a useful picture in just a few seconds. :-( :-( :-( It is this single fact alone that makes me so dubious about replacing side mirrors with cameras. The cameras seem to be way, way worse in the face of weather than the mirrors.

T-logo is dark because it's recessed and the position of the sun cast it into shade.

I drove 145 miles home from Fremont on Sunday in heavy rain - and autopilot never hiccuped once. I was surprised, since when driving loaner Model S, I typically have lost AP when rain/road dirt have occluded it from working properly. Kind of a 'what magic is this??' moment.

But it's a simple explanation. Those clever engineers at Tesla put the front-facing radar BEHIND the front bumper. It stays clean. And we can't see it. :)

View attachment 105250

radar doesn't go through metal so putting the front plate on top of the sensor would be a problem. I've seen some shots somewhere of an X with a front plate, it was low, probably mounted just under the radar. On our M_B GL the front radar is hidden inside the MB emblem in the grill, it helps to have a large circular emblem on the front of the car sometimes. Plus you want it higher up so you don't get returns from the ground.

I appreciate the explanation.

Bonnie, thank you for sharing the data with the entire world.

This revelation brings up more questions.

Does any other vehicle manufacturer use such hidden technology? Or, are we "seeing" possible high tech from the space or aircraft industry being used in a vehicle for the first time?

I wonder if the front radar is similar to the side Falcon Wing sensors. Those are designed to work through metal.

Technically, the GPS we have in (almost) all of our cars and smartphones is from the air and space industry. There are many such "hidden" advances that we take for granted now. :)

P.S. Hi Mark! Loved meeting you in person at the Model X launch event. :)

P.P.S. Where does the front license plate go? It's a little heartbreaking to think of having to drill into that facia just to mount a front license plate....

How about "No"? Does "no" work for you?

-snicker-

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if the front radar is similar to the side Falcon Wing sensors. Those are designed to work through metal.

The FWD does, in fact, have sensors in the middle of the door panels, completely invisible to the eye. Important also, because you want that door sensing any outside obstruction. And you don't want it thinking there IS an obstruction when there isn't (though you can override it).

As an early P85D driver living where it is cold and snowy, let me tell you what a huge improvement in design that is! Those of us who have to drive through snow wind up with many radar-based functions unavailable quite frequently, including cruise control, since the cruise control is now traffic-aware cruise control. So once the radar is obstructed, we can't even cruise at a set speed.

Having the radar safely tucked away from the elements is definitely the way to go!

Radar Unit Frozen Feb 8.jpg

As an early P85D driver living where it is cold and snowy, let me tell you what a huge improvement in design that is! Those of us who have to drive through snow wind up with many radar-based functions unavailable quite frequently, including cruise control, since the cruise control is now traffic-aware cruise control. So once the radar is obstructed, we can't even cruise at a set speed.

Having the radar safely tucked away from the elements is definitely the way to go!

View attachment 105258
I really wish they would come up with a retrofit to help with this issue, although this winter it may not matter. But the lens here should really be convex rather than concave - they should be able to do that in a retrofit.

I believe the door sensors are sonar (sound) whereas the radar is, well, radio waves (for greater distance). I am amazed that the Tesla engineers got the sonar working through metal, doing so with radar would seem to defy physics.

Exactly. Radar at the doors wouldn´t make sense either because it is only reflected by metal, so e.g. people standing next to the door wouldn´t be detected. So it looks like the whole front under the frunk must be plastic (if it is one part)... How does is sound when knocking on it, could anyone check? BTW, how do you know the radar is under there, bonnie? You said you "found" it...

View attachment 105258

It does sound like a big improvement. But I wonder about what has changed to make cruise control viable in rainy and snowy weather. Every previous car I've owned including audis and a Honda had warnings in the manual that cruise control was not to be used on wet roads.

View attachment 105258

Snow probably can get stuck on the slick front of the X as well. Do you think it is a different radar sensor than in the S or is it just placed higher and on a more slick surface so it is not as likely to gather snow, rain and dirt? Also if it can see through metal, why is snow and rain a problem?