TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bought new S 75D yesterday after tesla yesterday firesale overnight -$7500

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by darker123, Sep 18, 2016.

1. DÆrik

DÆrik Member

#81 DÆrik, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2016
    Ok, Just checked again.

Tesla.com links for the details pages are working, some slower than others. The links are working if you hit an updated server. I am still showing 410-470 (it keeps changing) in the files.

Some European countries (Austria, Netherlands, and Sweden) have zero available cars at the moment, but they had them an hour ago.

Get em' while their hot folks!

Thanks Erik

2. redy

redy Member

They no longer are showing the equivalent inventory model which would be cheaper on their customized order page. Maybe its a temporary thing, maybe they do not have the capacity to meet the demand before the end of the quarter anyway and so have stopped it all. Or they are just making changes to the website.

3. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

AN
    I'm looking at EV-cpo.com

4. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

Tesla has been averaging about $20K a car, though the profit is probably smaller on the lower end cars, and it definitely is lower on the 60s. Discounting $10K Tesla is taking a haircut, but probably making at least a small profit on the car.

• Like x 1
  5. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Rare combination

So in October, when I need service...they won't have any Loaners? Why did they have 400+ cars in inventory? Wasn't every car supposed to be custom ordered? Sure, some for showrooms and Demo...but there was a reason for the inventory. With that inventory now in individual garages, how does Q4 operate?

• Like x 1
  6. number12

number12 Supporting Member

Lease turn ins and trade ins for p100d and cancellations

• Like x 1
  7. wdolson

If your car is delivered in a week or so why would you need to take your car into the service center in October? I picked mine up in June and I only took it in for a minor issue a few weeks back. That's the only service center visit.

Tesla has 222 stores, at 2 cars per store, that's 444 cars. There are 135 service centers, if 10 service loaners per SC, that's 1350 cars there.

I'm sure some of their inventory comes from cancellations. They can afford to give people a discount because they made some money from the deposit.

• Like x 1
  8. AZ Desert Driver

OK - I HOPE that I won't need any service on my new sled for months, years even - so loaners are moot to me...that is the hope.
    But - lets look at the heave-haw of the Sept inventory. How many cars are being pushed off the Tesla books and into private garage?
    At what rate will they refill that inventory with cancellations and lease rejections? And then what? Spec orders? while delaying Custom orders? Will they repeat this exercise at the next end-of-quarter? Is it a one-and-done to meet a unique financial objective and fund raising event?
    Perhaps is it none of my business how many cars Tesla sells and how they manage the inventory. Just has a feel of ominous dark clouds on the horizon. Please convince me my dreams for Tesla are full of bright future and not dark clouds.

9. wdolson

The next year will be a bit rough. Tesla has a lot of expenditures to get the Model 3 out the door, and a lot of pieces, both inside and outside the company need to mesh to get it all happening. The list is pretty impressive:

- Get all suppliers in line
    - Get the production lines ready to go
    - Expand the service center network
    - Expand the supercharger network
    - Build out the Gigafactory enough to support initial Model 3 production
    - Get production going at the Gigafactory
    - Fight any fires that come up, ie serious crash that becomes big news, FUD stories catching traction, missing quarterly sales goals, etc.
    - Keep the public and customers happy while doing all of the above

I think the plan is well mapped out and is doable, but it will be a rough year. I believe that unless Tesla does something really stupid with the M3, it will be a massive hit and their biggest problem will be making enough cars to meet demand. However things should get better for the company at that point. If the M3 is even a moderate success the company will be unstoppable.

10. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

Besides loaners, they use rental car agencies for giving people driveable cars when service is occurring. That is better than some car dealerships where they either make you wait or "no loaner available, sorry" even when they are doing $500 brake jobs for you.

11. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

One point about Model 3. The price point is about half of the Model S.

Given that, they will need even more robotics, assembly tooling, manpower and logistics than today. Will it be 2x the logistics to build 3x the cars? hard to tell. But automotive industries rely on costs of scale to actually squeak out profits. The cost to build a Model 3 better be very low otherwise, profit potential is lost. And to get consumers to buy in massive scale, price points must come down. It is a very good example of Economics 101 taught in colleges being played out now. Will be interesting to watch.

12. HiredGun

HiredGun Member

Sorry for not responding sooner...work has kept me busy and its going to pick up again shortly.

They did take the $8500 (difference between base 60D and base 75D models) off the price - if I remember correctly the OA adjusted the base price of the car. I do recall him telling us that he was doing that and then entering it into his XL file.

Anyhow, the car was finally shipped from Indy and got here Friday. They wanted the weekend to service it and get it ready for delivery. I'm heading there tomorrow to pick it up. Excited is an understatement! :)

Good luck to everyone whose trying to lock in a delivery before September 30th!

HG

13. AZ Desert Driver

Oh-Oh-Oh..I know whats happening (snark). All these MS are being sold NOW - as they are "old technology" - [Mobeleye chips] and they wanted to clear the lots for New technology - AP2, and the new secret sauce that has not yet been buzzed.

• Funny x 1
  14. Reeler

Reeler 9th Year of Pure EV

I think you are a little bitter for getting a S60D for the same price I am paying for a S75D. If you get new technology in yours on 9/30, which is the same delivery date as mine, you were right. Mine was produced just a few days ago and never was shipped out before I redirected it to Denver. I am guessing my build date is a few days before yours.

15. AZ Desert Driver

Had not thought of it in terms of bitter. jealous, envious - yeah, sure. but not bitter. Now if I could find the right lever to make my deal a bit better....negotiate on future service calls, put a HPWC in the trunk, unlock the 75 for free or near free. All seem to require me to cancel picking it up and accepting an inventory car. (perhaps even the one I just canceled?). Or just accept the deal I made last month and was happy with it then - its just that "others" got better deals. ok, bitter.

16. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Or new edition just came home. Fully loaded P90DL for barely more than we paid for our basic 70D last may.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  17. Chaz

Chaz Big Kahuna

Sweet! Congrats! :)

18. RobInAZ

RobInAZ Member

Is your ordered vehicle already in production? If not I am pretty sure they would let you switch.

19. Mbenz528i

Mbenz528i Member

Congrats!! She is beautiful!

20. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member