Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new 75D, rattling and noises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 weeks old 75D and already getting annoying rattles.
Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to what the issue could be here.

I have two different problems:

1: Rattle from B-pillar, very consistent, typically occurs when driving through curves, over bumps and hard tarmac. Tried putting some velcro in the belt opening to no avail.

2: this is a bit of a mystery for me, it never occurs on my morning commute (making the B-pillar rattle much more annoying). This only happends in the afternoon so Im guessing the outside temp has something to do with it. Its tiny crackling sounds that occurs from BOTH A pillars and over the entire headliner area (like 6-7 different spots) - quite embarrasing actually.

The Service center fixed my B-pillar rattle (likely the AP 2.0 camera wire there). Hint: Get them to fix/check both as initially only the driver side was rattling... the passenger side started a month later.

3 weeks old 75D and already getting annoying rattles.
Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to what the issue could be here.

I have two different problems:

1: Rattle from B-pillar, very consistent, typically occurs when driving through curves, over bumps and hard tarmac. Tried putting some velcro in the belt opening to no avail.

2: this is a bit of a mystery for me, it never occurs on my morning commute (making the B-pillar rattle much more annoying). This only happends in the afternoon so Im guessing the outside temp has something to do with it. Its tiny crackling sounds that occurs from BOTH A pillars and over the entire headliner area (like 6-7 different spots) - quite embarrasing actually.
The one in the headliner is most likely the styrofoam inserts on the back of the headliner rubbing the metal structure. The fix for that is to remove the sunvisors and visor clips, pull the front of the headliner down and then put felt tape over the styrofoam. Or you could just have the service center do it.

I did the B pillar fix as described in that post but it didn't solve the rattle. Mine seems to be coming from the upper B pillar. I did get the Upper trim piece off but didn't see anything obvious that was accessible. It's on the to do list for my next service visit.

At the very least you can point the tech in the right direction. I fixed it myself on mine mostly because the service center is 100 miles away.

Of course, I live about 10miles from SC, so I will head down there on monday to schedule an appointment (calling them is useless).

Btw, my B-pillar rattle seems to be coming from the upper part aswell. Perhaps its the camera bracket or something.

If you have a pano roof, check that. Sometimes creaking noises from the pano roof can reflect around the interior and sound like they are coming from elsewhere. I had a sound that I swore was coming from the rear hatch, but it was actually coming from the pano roof.

It can be the wiring in the headliner or the styrofoam blocks rubbing on the roof.

This makes sense. I do hear some mild pops/crackling from time to time where the windshield meets the headliner - usually right around the mirror. It's almost like a piece of tape being pulled away from a smooth surface repeatedly. I hear the same thing in the 2015 loaner I am in. Not much that can been done there I guess. It's usually warm weather here, so cold weather doesn't seem to be a contributing factor.

I advised my SC I hear a rattling in or near the passenger A-pillar. This is my 2nd attempt at having the SC address this annoyance. Their response was that they believe it's coming from the center console, so they went ahead and ordered another. o_O I reiterated that they should check the panel clips/buttons in the A-pillar because it sounds like one is loose - almost like the speaker cover is rattling. I better call them before they move on to replacing a perfectly good center console.

If they can't figure this out, I may end up solving the rattle myself. The panel-removal tips on this forum are helpful.

This makes sense. I do hear some mild pops/crackling from time to time where the windshield meets the headliner - usually right around the mirror. It's almost like a piece of tape being pulled away from a smooth surface repeatedly. I hear the same thing in the 2015 loaner I am in. Not much that can been done there I guess. It's usually warm weather here, so cold weather doesn't seem to be a contributing factor.

I advised my SC I hear a rattling in or near the passenger A-pillar. This is my 2nd attempt at having the SC address this annoyance. Their response was that they believe it's coming from the center console, so they went ahead and ordered another. o_O I reiterated that they should check the panel clips/buttons in the A-pillar because it sounds like one is loose - almost like the speaker cover is rattling. I better call them before they move on to replacing a perfectly good center console.

If they can't figure this out, I may end up solving the rattle myself. The panel-removal tips on this forum are helpful.
The hardest part of dropping the front of the headliner is getting the cover off the AP module on the windshield.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
Popping the "A" pillar cover off is quite easy:
1. Remove the dashboard end plate located on the side of the dashboard where it meets the door panel. It just pops off with three clips.
2. Remove the "A" pillar filler plate located next to the dashboard end plate.
3. Using a plastic pry tool, pop the plastic "Airbag" logo cover off the upper section of the "A" pillar trim.
4. Remove the 8 mm bolt behind the cover.
5. Pull the cover off by pulling the top edge of the cover toward the rear view mirror to disengage the center clip(s) and then pull it upward to pull it out of the dashboard.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sawyer8888
It can be the wiring in the headliner or the styrofoam blocks rubbing on the roof.
I have exactly the same issue - and it's not my pano roof - I've driven with it partially open and have the same clicking/rubbing noise. I'm guessing it's the wiring harness wires that are not fully wrapped and the cold wires are rubbing against the styrofoam material in the front windshield headliner making this noise. I think it's why the sound is more pronounced on curves and lateral movement.

Anyone have experience tackling this successfully? Please share.

BTW mine is a brand new 2018 100D.

I have exactly the same issue - and it's not my pano roof - I've driven with it partially open and have the same clicking/rubbing noise. I'm guessing it's the wiring harness wires that are not fully wrapped and the cold wires are rubbing against the styrofoam material in the front windshield headliner making this noise. I think it's why the sound is more pronounced on curves and lateral movement.

Anyone have experience tackling this successfully? Please share.

BTW mine is a brand new 2018 100D.
I put a piece of felt between the styrofoam and the roof and that helped. You can press in the area of the noise to see where the felt piece needs to go.

I had multiple rattles when I took delivery as well. I first had a passenger side rattle near the windshield behind the sun shade, they added anti friction tape and fixed it. Then the noise started at the A pillar on driver side, and they fixed that as well. Just take it in, they will take care of it.