Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buffeting/Booming issue survey

What helped to fix booming/buffeting noise in Model Y

• Installed vinyl pipe into a trunk gasket, kept stock rubber stoppers

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Installed vinyl pipe into a trunk gasket and custom solid stoppers

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Only adjusted the stock rubber stoppers with "envelope test"

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Only installed custom solid stoppers

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I don't hear any booming/buffeting in my car, it's quiet and awesome

Votes: 71 61.7%
  • Nothing helped, no matter what I tried

Votes: 14 12.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let us know, what is the service response and if they be able to offer a solution.
I am back after the visit. Disappointing to say the least. The first service employee who checked me in to assign technician said he never heard of the such a problem. Went out for a ride with the technician 1 and he said he didn't hear anything abnormal. That technician then called out another and went out for a drive. Upon return, they both said no issue. They suggested that I was use to driving ICE and those engines cover up the rumble noise in my other cars ( BMWs). Also suggested that I have my ears checked because the quiet Tesla may have uncovered some ear issue. The last technician said he has has only heard of this complaint once in 8 years. The problem is me. It's all in my head.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
I am back after the visit. Disappointing to say the least. The first service employee who checked me in to assign technician said he never heard of the such a problem. Went out for a ride with the technician 1 and he said he didn't hear anything abnormal. That technician then called out another and went out for a drive. Upon return, they both said no issue. They suggested that I was use to driving ICE and those engines cover up the rumble noise in my other cars ( BMWs). Also suggested that I have my ears checked because the quiet Tesla may have uncovered some ear issue. The last technician said he has has only heard of this complaint once in 8 years. The problem is me. It's all in my head.
Before you do anything else, try the quick paper-strip testing of the 4 hatch bumpers. I bet they're not adjust properly, and the hatch is shifting, but only when traversing certain road surfaces.

I recommend starting with the lowest bumpers, making sure they're fully seated when the hatch is closed. Then gradually adjust the 2 upper bumpers until they are fully seated.

It's definitely not in your head and is a characteristic of the car. I've driven a few different Y's and every single one of them had this issue. The Model Y has unfortunately a loud boomy cabin. Autotrader and some other reviews mention this as well ie: "on British roads it’s let down by an overly-stiff ride and a boomy, rattly cabin — particularly at low speeds".

Also, threads pop up on reddit about it:
I have both a 3 and a Y, interestingly the 3 makes very similar rumble and booming noises, but with significantly less amplitude. It is so much less on the 3 that I have to be intentionally listening for it, but it's there! Hopefully the Y redesign project Juniper that releases in 2024 will have changes to help mitigate this issue.

As for what to do about it, the suggestions towards the end of the Ear/Pain Pressure mega thread do help reduce the booming to a more acceptable level, but there is no silver bullet.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet

It's definitely not in your head and is a characteristic of the car. I've driven a few different Y's and every single one of them had this issue. The Model Y has unfortunately a loud boomy cabin. Autotrader and some other reviews mention this as well ie: "on British roads it’s let down by an overly-stiff ride and a boomy, rattly cabin — particularly at low speeds".

Also, threads pop up on reddit about it:
I have both a 3 and a Y, interestingly the 3 makes very similar rumble and booming noises, but with significantly less amplitude. It is so much less on the 3 that I have to be intentionally listening for it, but it's there! Hopefully the Y redesign project Juniper that releases in 2024 will have changes to help mitigate this issue.

As for what to do about it, the suggestions towards the end of the Ear/Pain Pressure mega thread do help reduce the booming to a more acceptable level, but there is no silver bullet.

Also, there's a 1285+ post thread about it here: Ear pain/Pressure help

It's a design flaw the techs could never resolve, so it's "in spec".

Some owners that have noticed the booming have reported that it has gotten better after a few thousand miles. Im hopefully this is a "break in" issue.

My personal experience, I did 2 test drives (30 mins and 1 hour) I noticed immediately on the first drive. Second test drive I requested the same MYLR, I pulled over and adjusted the stoppers using the envelope method. Immediately me and my wife noticed an improvement not completely gone but much more tolerable.

Once I take delivery I will attempt the @ilovecoffee methodology: 3/8 vinyl tubing, adjust stoppers, get the 3d printed solid stoppers, add the sound reducing kit around the doors and go from there since all these modifications are fairly simple and low cost. The MYLR benefits outweigh this minor issue, just my personal situation/opinion. I never had a luxury car other than a M3LR (if that even counts).Everyone's opinion and perception on this issue will be different.

Sadly, after 1,300 miles I'm selling my 2023 MYLR and getting a Model 3 because of this issue. To make sure it wasn't just my car, I went to local gallery and test drove the Y and the 3 back to back. Immediately, I noticed that the demo Y had the same low frequency boominess (30-35hz resonance per the Spectroid app) while the 3 did not. I've tried vinyl tubing (5/16" and 3/8") as well as 3d printed stoppers - nothing helped with the low frequency resonance. Life's too short to drive cars with issues that bother you.

I had the same issue in the overnight test vehicle I had and when I brought it up everyone at the dealer thought I was crazy.

So it is either

1) No one at Tesla has a clue about a common issue
2) They do know but everyone is told to pretend it isn't an issue

At this point I know enough people that have a Model Y from that dealer and have went there with the same complaints and try to get service for it to know that they must know about these issues, so 1) is unlikely. The fact that it has lead to so many DYI fixes that Tesla could easily do during service but rather "pretend" it doesn't exist is pathetic.

Their comment suggesting you have an ear problem is revolting.

Reactions: Noflash
Before you do anything else, try the quick paper-strip testing of the 4 hatch bumpers. I bet they're not adjust properly, and the hatch is shifting, but only when traversing certain road surfaces.

I recommend starting with the lowest bumpers, making sure they're fully seated when the hatch is closed. Then gradually adjust the 2 upper bumpers until they are fully seated.
I am traveling but I will try your suggestions upon my return. I just left the car home and took my 5 Series on the road. I didn't realize how quiet the Bimmer is now that I have something compare it to.

We have this booming issue on our new Y. I reported it as a service issue. They listened to it and told me it was normal. Today (4/11/2023) when I went in for a different issue, the tech remembered me and told me they now have a fix for the booming and he added it to today's ticket. He indicated that it did require part(s). I have not yet picked up the car but I am hopeful!

We have this booming issue on our new Y. I reported it as a service issue. They listened to it and told me it was normal. Today (4/11/2023) when I went in for a different issue, the tech remembered me and told me they now have a fix for the booming and he added it to today's ticket. He indicated that it did require part(s). I have not yet picked up the car but I am hopeful!
Please post the service and parts details once you get the receipt!

Yes, we are going to need a full debrief on this please.

Please let us know! You’d be helping a lot of us 😀👍

Hi @GeoMetry, any updates?

Hi there - Could you pls share how if the technician at the Service Center resolved the booming noise issue? This is a big problem in my 2021 Y LR. Any info would be much appreciated.

I complained this matter to a technician and of course at first he said that this is the first he's hearing about booming. I asked some further questions what could help and he did remember that Y's build in China had extra side supports for rear hatch but nowadays no more, because extra support did worn out the paint from the hatch.
Does anyone has more information about these side supports and how they can be aqcuired from Tesla?

Did the new parts decrease or eliminate the low frequency booming sounds When traveling over sudden significant bumps in roads or when traveling over roads constructed with coarser rockier materials? Got a dewcription of parts from the work order? Thanks.