Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

But FSD instead of subscribe to get hardware 5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We currently subscribe to FSD for Tessie (see sig), but with talk of Hardware 5, perhaps it would make sense to buy it (because we'd get a free upgrade to it).
Not sure where you are getting "because we'd get a free upgrade to it". HW3 is not being upgraded to HW4 due to significant design changes in the computers.

Not sure where you are getting "because we'd get a free upgrade to it". HW3 is not being upgraded to HW4 due to significant design changes in the computers.
Yes Elon is on record that HW3 will not be upgraded to HW4 . he gave the reason as too many technical challenges , I am not sure if is will be available even if you want to pay for it

I understand better now. Here's a relevant post:

Re: the guarantee of hardware upgrades if you buy FSD

I shouldn't enter into this argument, because it seems that one of the participants' is fairly combative when it comes to alternative opinions being presented, but yes, upgrades to HW3 and any camera updates needed to the HW3-level cameras were definitely a one-off. Elon has said it himself that all the hardware necessary for FSD is already present in the car. Granted, he said that before and had to eat crow, and pay for it in the form of free HW3 upgrades for people that bought FSD, but recently the posturing has been along the lines of "FSD is what it is, and future hardware upgrades will enable it to operate "better"). So all that's going to happen going forward is that they are going to redefine what "FSD" means such that whatever HW3 can do meets the definition of "FSD". If there is a capability that comes along that is only available on HW4 or later vehicles, Tesla will simply deny that that capability was ever part of the "FSD" that HW3 and earlier buyers bought.

Now I acknowledge that this is just speculation on my part, and I could be wrong. But so is any statement that Tesla is obligated to upgrade vehicles in the future.

My understanding, perhaps wrong, was that if you buy FSD, you're guaranteed that it will always work on your car. Therefore, if a future version of FSD requires some new hardware, Tesla will install that new hardware on your car.

Maybe it's not that simple?

Tesla promised that whoever bought HW2/2.5 would get a free upgrade to HW3. Even though the computer and camera upgrade has been true, people still have to pay MCU2 to get a current functional FSD. The free upgrade turns out to cost owners thousands of dollars more.

That said, Tesla has never promised to upgrade to HW5 for free.

It doesn't matter what you understand, but what matters is what Tesla promises and whether fulfilling those promises might cost owners even more.

My understanding, perhaps wrong, was that if you buy FSD, you're guaranteed that it will always work on your car. Therefore, if a future version of FSD requires some new hardware, Tesla will install that new hardware on your car.

I guess it depends on your and Tesla’s interpretation of what it means for FSD to ”work on your car.” To be fair, I don’t think FSD today works any better with HW4 than with HW3, so the hardware isn’t the limiting factor yet. If Tesla ever gets FSD to work “well enough“ on HW4, it might work just as well on HW3. No one knows yet.

Tesla is not required to provide you with the latest and greatest FSD, once they have delivered a functional product that has all of the capabilities contracted. Your car's software could be frozen and should continue to work at the level it was at when frozen. There is no guarantee of getting software updates until the end of time any more than there is a guarantee of getting replacement parts forever.