Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying or selling a Powerwall 2? A warning...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Hank @HankLloydRight,
What do you make of this?

Like I said in my first post, it's possible that Tesla might change their policies.

But in the case you cite, again, that email is from the Referral Program and not Tesla Energy who is actually handling the awards and installs. Until someone from Tesla Energy says they are transferrable, I personally would not bank on what the Referral program says.

And as far as I know, the non-transferability of the PW2 award has not changed. But I will inquire again.

In addition, Tesla Energy has told me that the PW2 awards (beyond the first signed PW2) are convertible to credits for other Tesla products, except Energy products.

Like I said in my first post, it's possible that Tesla might change their policies.

But in the case you cite, again, that email is from the Referral Program and not Tesla Energy who is actually handling the awards and installs. Until someone from Tesla Energy says they are transferrable, I personally would not bank on what the Referral program says.

And as far as I know, the non-transferability of the PW2 award has not changed. But I will inquire again.

In addition, Tesla Energy has told me that the PW2 awards (beyond the first signed PW2) are convertible to credits for other Tesla products, except Energy products.
The OP left out the date he received the email from Brad Smith.
In the meantime I'm following your advice and seeing what happens once they contact me with PW2 install and then try to get the credit. Thanks again.

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Hi Hank @HankLloydRight,
What do you make of this?

Red Founders Series Powerwall 2 - For Sale

The OP shared an email from Tesla Referral Program Support member Brad Smith, saying that powerwall awards were transferrable. You have looked at this in detail and I wanted your opinion, before I change my reply to the PW2 referral award email and start thinking of maybe selling the award.
Thanks again
AmitView attachment 296938
Hi @Vinny_MX,
Could you please update us with the status of your powerwall award, either sale or install? If possible also include the entire email (minus personal details) with the date you received it from Brad Smith. This will hopefully help shed some more light on this topic or might just end up causing more confusion.:(
Thanks,
Amit
Screenshot_20180426-102246_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Love
I emailed my Tesla Energy contact today:
Two quick questions --
Have you heard anything about either the transfer-ability of the Powerwall 2 awards to other people now being allowed?
Is the $5500 Tesla credit still an option for each of the other PW2 awards we've earned?
There's a lot of unsubstantiated talk online about people now being told that the PW2 awards are transferable now, and other people saying that the $5500 credits are no longer being offered.
Can you shed some light on this?

He replied promptly:

The only thing I can think of is that these rumors are coming from Retail Energy Advisors who may be new to the position. The awards are still non-transferable and can be redeemed for credit instead of a Powerwall.

Again, YMMV.

Is there a particular person at tesla energy you deal with? I would like to get the credit toward a model 3 purchase but no response back.

Yes, I have a dedicated contact, and many people have asked me for a contact within Tesla Energy for the same reasons, but I really don't want to start giving out his (or anyone else's) contact info, they're very busy as it is dealing with the current batch of PW installs and awards. They'll get to everyone eventually.

Here’s the reply I received today from the referral program. I’ll likely be listing mine for sale.

“You may install your Powerwall 2 and Early Access to Solar Roof rewards at any location of your choosing. For your Powerwall you can submit this survey with the appropriate address and for your Solar Roof Token you may advise the Tesla Energy representative when they contact you for further information when available in your region.

Unfortunately, the rewards do not have any cash value and are not exchangeable for any other rewards.”

• Informative
Here’s the reply I received today from the referral program. I’ll likely be listing mine for sale.

“You may install your Powerwall 2 and Early Access to Solar Roof rewards at any location of your choosing. For your Powerwall you can submit this survey with the appropriate address and for your Solar Roof Token you may advise the Tesla Energy representative when they contact you for further information when available in your region.

Unfortunately, the rewards do not have any cash value and are not exchangeable for any other rewards.”

Ok, as I said in my first post, please let us know when and how you accomplished this. Because the Tesla Energy team is telling me the exact opposite (see above).

I received an email over the weekend from Tesla energy/referral program, They say they don't offer credits for the powerwall toward a Model 3 purchase. This is contrary to what other owners have said they were able to do. This should be a simple program to run. They do a terrible job.

Can you be more clear? Did you receive an email from Tesla Energy or from the Tesla Referral Program? They're different and tell two different stories. My guess is you talked to the Referral program which has consistently said there are no credits, which isn't true

Can you be more clear? Did you receive an email from Tesla Energy or from the Tesla Referral Program? They're different and tell two different stories. My guess is you talked to the Referral program which has consistently said there are no credits, which isn't true
Tesla energy said they can't do it and will reach out and find out if they can. I then got an email from the referral dept saying they don't offer credits toward purchase.

• Informative
I have 4 Powerwall's coming my way from the referral programs.
We're in the process of building a new house, so while working with Tesla Energy for our new Solar system, I got the email regarding my awards as well. After talking with the reps, we decided to take 2 of the 4 prizes for install and the other 2 we're taking the credit towards our Model 3 or S order (we haven't decided which we want) . We then in turn placed an order for 2 additional Powerwall's which we're buying retail. The reason being, If I take the credit for the 2, I get the retail amount off the price of the new car and then I can take the 30% tax credit on the two new ones that I'm buying which gives me another $3k-ish in tax savings :)

I have 4 Powerwall's coming my way from the referral programs.
We're in the process of building a new house, so while working with Tesla Energy for our new Solar system, I got the email regarding my awards as well. After talking with the reps, we decided to take 2 of the 4 prizes for install and the other 2 we're taking the credit towards our Model 3 or S order (we haven't decided which we want) . We then in turn placed an order for 2 additional Powerwall's which we're buying retail. The reason being, If I take the credit for the 2, I get the retail amount off the price of the new car and then I can take the 30% tax credit on the two new ones that I'm buying which gives me another $3k-ish in tax savings :)

I don't follow, is there a cap on either method?IIf not, why not go credit on all 4?

If a PW costs $5k, tax rate is 25% and assuming a physical award is taxed but a discount isn't:
Taking award gets you a PW and costs $1,250 in income tax, add $5k towards car: $6,250 total spent
Taking credit saves 5k on car, then you get $1,500 tax credit on $5k PW: total out of pocket: $3,500

• Informative
If a PW costs $5k, tax rate is 25% and assuming a physical award is taxed but a discount isn't:

Yeah, there's also state income tax, so add in whatever that is in CA, so that makes it even better to take the MS/M3 credit on as many as possible.

Unless SCJ has one of the first "signed" powerwall awards, they are not allowing the credit for those, those must be installed.

I don't follow, is there a cap on either method?IIf not, why not go credit on all 4?

Taking award gets you a PW and costs $1,250 in income tax, add $5k towards car: $6,250 total spent
Taking credit saves 5k on car, then you get $1,500 tax credit on $5k PW: total out of pocket: $3,500

I need two powerwalls installed ASAP. The other two “retail” purchases aren’t scheduled until August.