Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying or selling a Powerwall 2? A warning...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just told today that the two referral powerwalls they are currently finishing the installation design for have been pushed from an ETA of late this summer to an additional 7-8 months out. Soooo 2019. FML
Yikes. I'm hoping we don't get similar news. Originally, we were told March...then June to September. Are you just getting the Powerwalls installed or are you getting solar installed as well? We plan on getting solar installed but I don't know if that changes our priority any.

Yikes. I'm hoping we don't get similar news. Originally, we were told March...then June to September. Are you just getting the Powerwalls installed or are you getting solar installed as well? We plan on getting solar installed but I don't know if that changes our priority any.
Just powerwalls. Then solar later. If you do solar at the same time they will program the PWs to only accept power from the solar panels, thus elminating the ability to top off at night if you didnt get enough sun to fill your powerwalls.

Just powerwalls. Then solar later. If you do solar at the same time they will program the PWs to only accept power from the solar panels, thus elminating the ability to top off at night if you didnt get enough sun to fill your powerwalls.
Yeah, that's one complaint I have, especially since we won't be getting any tax credit on the Powerwalls (nor should we). They do allow charging from the grid in Australia and elsewhere so perhaps it could just be a software update that might be available in the US in the future? I think others have reported being able to charge theirs via the grid by accessing the gateway interface directly but I could be remembering incorrectly.

Once we get ours installed, we plan on tweeting Elon for an 'expected storm' feature that would allow us to charge our Powerwalls via the grid when there is a blizzard or other big storm on the way. If we could charge via the grid as needed, we could easily keep things running for a couple days until the snow was off the panels. If we can't or aren't allowed to charge up via the grid, it will be pretty sad to have $$$$ worth of Powerwalls sitting in the garage with no power and doing nothing during a long blizzard.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
So this is a local utility or state restriction? You can only charge PWs from solar if you have solar, but if you don't have solar you can charge them from the grid? Sounds strange to me. We're getting just PWs specifically to charge from the grid in case of power outages (still pretty rare around here, but still, and we don't have TOU rates either). I could have sworn that I saw a demo of the mobile app for PW that shows the PWs being charged from solar or the grid, depending on time of day and power demand.

So this is a local utility or state restriction? You can only charge PWs from solar if you have solar, but if you don't have solar you can charge them from the grid? Sounds strange to me. We're getting just PWs specifically to charge from the grid in case of power outages (still pretty rare around here, but still, and we don't have TOU rates either). I could have sworn that I saw a demo of the mobile app for PW that shows the PWs being charged from solar or the grid, depending on time of day and power demand.
From what I can tell, they set up systems to take advantage of California SGIP and US federal tax credits (ITC). However, since we're receiving our Powerwalls as a prize, we don't pay anything for them and in turn don't receive any tax credits on them. In fact, we have to pay taxes on them. I think we should be allowed to charge them from the grid (even if you have solar)...but they don't set it up that way in the US because of agreements with utilities (such as in California) that don't allow you to sell power back to the grid if any of that power might've come from the grid. In Australia, they can charge from the grid so it seems to be a software restriction.

We're planning on using solar to charge our Powerwalls but I could see a snowy winter when the panels are covered and not producing anything for a few days. A blizzard could be forecast and if allowed, we could charge the batteries up from the grid before any potential outage. Unfortunately, the way they set things up, we wouldn't be able to charge if the panels are covered...and the blizzard could potentially knock out power for days. Since we couldn't fill the batteries up before the blizzard, they would run out and sit idle...and useless until the panels are cleared again.

Tesla's answer to this issue seems to be "Of course, if you know bad weather is coming, you can choose Backup-Only mode, which will automatically reserve 100% of Powerwall’s capacity for backup. After the storm or outage is over, remember to select Self-Powered mode or Time-Based Control to continue cycling the battery." Unfortunately, if you don't know bad weather is coming and your batteries are already drained, you're out of luck. :(

I just found this @HankLloydRight
From Tesla's US Powerwall functionality page:
Can Powerwall charge from the grid?
When Powerwall is installed without solar, it can charge from the grid to support backup operation.

When Powerwall is installed with solar, it is not currently able to charge from the grid. Powerwall installations on new and existing solar systems are designed to qualify for the Federal Investment Tax Credit, which requires 100% charging from solar. Powerwall installations must also comply with rules around grid charging which vary by utility.

From Tesla's AU Powerwall functionality page:
When Powerwall is installed with or without solar, it can charge from the grid. Powerwall installations must also comply with rules around grid charging which vary by utility.

From Tesla's NZ Powerwall FAQs:
When Powerwall's state of charge is below its backup reserve or when it is in Backup-only mode, it can charge from the grid. Powerwall may also utilize grid energy in extremely cold situations as its liquid thermal management system heats the battery cells to keep them in the optimum temperature range.
Since the US text does contain the words "not currently able", I would think that they could support it in the future as long as it still complies "with rules around grid charging which vary by utility."

Last edited:
This is for the people who still think they can, or are trying to, buy or sell a PW2 referral award.

I just got the contract for my PW2 install, and included was this paragraph:

upload_2018-5-16_13-52-15.png

So even if you are able to 'transfer' the award to a 'friend' or have Tesla install it at an alternate address, whoever signs the contract must also fill out a W-9 and will be taxed on the award value of $5,500. At this point, I do not know if the installation credit is also taxable, but from what I can tell, it's not, but don't quote me on that. Included in the docu-sign document is a W-9 to fill out before they will start the process rolling.

So as a buyer or seller, someone's going to be paying Uncle Sam.

This is for the people who still think they can, or are trying to, buy or sell a PW2 referral award.

I just got the contract for my PW2 install, and included was this paragraph:

View attachment 301583

So even if you are able to 'transfer' the award to a 'friend' or have Tesla install it at an alternate address, whoever signs the contract must also fill out a W-9 and will be taxed on the award value of $5,500. At this point, I do not know if the installation credit is also taxable, but from what I can tell, it's not, but don't quote me on that. Included in the docu-sign document is a W-9 to fill out before they will start the process rolling.

So as a buyer or seller, someone's going to be paying Uncle Sam.

Any idea how much this is going to cost in taxes? Would any tax deductibles be available for installing this energy storage? I am fine with a few hundred in taxes but if uncle sam wants $2500....that's a little crazy.

Powerwalls are taxable, which is why we took the credit of $5500 on 2 of the 4 we have coming and turned around and bought 2. I get the tax and utility incentives on those two and only need to pay tax on 2. Also, got confirmation that the credit CANNOT be used towards the Model 3, which made our choice on a vehicle easier.

I was told the $5500 credit is not taxable when applied to a vehicle. They just show a "adjustment"

Reactions: KyleDay
Any idea how much this is going to cost in taxes? Would any tax deductibles be available for installing this energy storage? I am fine with a few hundred in taxes but if uncle sam wants $2500....that's a little crazy.
If you're in a high tax state like CA, and in an upper income bracket, our combined federal + state + Medicare + Social Security + Obamacare taxes can approach 60% -- so in reality you're getting 40% off the Powerwall. Moreover, if you sell it and the buyer has to pay those taxes, the buyer is no longer getting a good deal! OOPS!

It's whatever your federal and state effective income tax rate (bracket) is (will be). It's different for everyone.

This is 1099-Misc income. Hopefully Tesla will be smart about it and put it in Box 3 (Other income) and not Box 7 (non-employee compensation) since Box 7 would trigger paying the 15.3% self-employment (social security) tax on top of the regular income tax.

I'm not a tax person and this is not tax advice, but if if you have to fill out a Schedule C to report the 1099-misc income, I don't know what you would be able to deduct, since it's not a business you're running for a profit. It's just award income. I suppose if you had some sort of expenses generating those referrals, you might be able to deduct them, but I can't image what expense anyone would have unless they were running Google Adwords or other advertising campaigns. But they would have to be real documented business expenses relating to the referral program, not just fabricated ones.

• Informative