Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera Calibration Question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new MYP is not calibrating the cameras fully. I currently have 500 miles on it.

After 230 miles I reset the calibration because it appeared stuck at 90%.

It’s been 300 miles and the service mode is showing the wide is calibrated but at the near top of the pitch limit. The normal main camera is at the top of the limit. The narrow camera seems stuck at 80% calibrated or so.

I have a service appointment but it is pretty far away.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• AF3727C8-E9EF-4405-B969-CB442C05EEDD.jpeg
    AF3727C8-E9EF-4405-B969-CB442C05EEDD.jpeg
    552.1 KB · Views: 412
You need Tesla toolbox to check this along with a specific target placed in front of the vehicle at a very specific height. Same process happens after a windshield replacement per Tesla work instructions.

I’d leave it to them to fix, they will probably require the vehicle in the service center.

This is all assuming the cameras and computers are working properly.

On my Y I was able to calibrate at less than 25 mile and before reaching 100mile I noticed the Auto steer is not engaging with error on display : "Camera require alignment"
I updated the previous service appointment for some body panels misalignment to get this fixed.
I deleted the camera calibration and i get it back to calibration in ~15 mile but same error displaying. I am guessing that each camera can be calibrate but they need to be on specific angle and pitch to be used by Auto steer.
Also I found a service bulletin for S and X for same issue. The fix was re installing rear mirror brackets.

This is what I see in service mode:
IMG_20230615_214913.jpg

Mine ended up being due to the fact that MT Kisco, NY delivery center changed my vin at the last second to a MYP that arrived with a broken windshield and fixed.

They didn’t disclose that the vehicle I was taking delivery of was damaged in transit and repaired.

The cameras we not checked for alignment after the windshield repair as required by Tesla.

Terrible experience so far.

Another camera calibration question: can it do any harm if it isn't really needed?

Our new Model Y Performance (currently on 2023.44.1) at times appears to be seeing things that aren't there. For example:
  • Sometimes when enabling FSD Beta the car will immediately freak out and take "corrective active" for an impending collision that isn't going to happen.
  • The wipers sometimes sweep in clear weather, which is not unusual for the auto wiper setting in Teslas, but it sometimes even happens when the wiper setting if OFF and we're not using AP.
  • Park assist sees obstructions in front of the car that aren't there.
I checked service mode and there are no alerts whatsoever (which seems odd). The windshield is very clean (we've only been driving the car for about a month). The camera settings in service mode look normal (see screenshot below).

Any reason not to do a camera calibration? The next step will be a service appointment.

IMG_6987.jpeg

Sometimes when enabling FSD Beta the car will immediately freak out and take "corrective active" for an impending collision that isn't going to happen.
That's not fun, but the flip side that I think could also happen if you don't chase this down is the car not seeing a *real* impending collision and taking no action, which could be worse than reacting to a phantom collision.