Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera hidden inside Model S cabin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

I have a HW2 Model S and noticed that with AutoPilot engaged in stop and go traffic it frequently puts it on "Hold" when I'm doing something on my phone or have my head down while stopped. It doesn't do that when I'm looking straight ahead at the road...
This leads me to believe Tesla might have implemented a hidden camera as an extra precaution. Have any of you noticed it as well? What do you think?

Being too close to an object in front of you will trigger the HOLD. Typically you have TACC or AS implemented an a pedestrian walks in front of the car or you enagage TACC too close to the lead car and the car waits for you to indicate it is OK to proceed by you pressing the accelerator pedal.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
^^This. From the Model X owner's manual (emphasis added):

"When following a vehicle, Traffic-Aware Cruise
Control remains active at low speeds, even if
Model X comes to a standstill while following a
vehicle. When traffic is moving again, Traffic-
Aware Cruise Control resumes operating at
your currently set speed. However, if a
pedestrian or object is detected in front of
Model X, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control goes
into a HOLD state and the instrument panel
displays a message
indicating that you need
to resume cruise control"

• Informative
Reactions: croman and Takumi
Other manufacturers are using cameras to verify the driver is actually looking at the road. This may be a better strategy than what Tesla is doing with the steering wheel pressure.

Though Tesla's plans are for AP2 to support FSD - and if they achieve that, then verifying the driver is monitoring the vehicle won't be an issue...

Reactions: PaulJohn
My girlfriend wears a skirt but never wears underwear while driving our Model S.

Hey me too, and yet the car is still functioning, so there must be no inside camera!

On a more serious note, I have a back and front blackvue cameras, plus I have an inside camera because I'm paranoid and want to have enough evidence just in case something goes awry. Maybe it's another driver, maybe it's Tesla logs not telling the full story but my logs will, if I survive of course ;-). I see no reason why people shouldn't have the camera, you can always delete the footage - you can't create it out of thin air.

Reactions: PaulJohn
Hey me too, and yet the car is still functioning, so there must be no inside camera!

On a more serious note, I have a back and front blackvue cameras, plus I have an inside camera because I'm paranoid and want to have enough evidence just in case something goes awry. Maybe it's another driver, maybe it's Tesla logs not telling the full story but my logs will, if I survive of course ;-). I see no reason why people shouldn't have the camera, you can always delete the footage - you can't create it out of thin air.
I also have a BlackVue but I’m afraid that in any really serious accident it will be just one more speck of ash in a smoldering pile …

Still plenty useful for the insurance scam mopes who will try and back into you and pretend you rear ended them…