TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Camera hidden inside Model S cabin?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by PaulJohn, Apr 6, 2017.

1. PaulJohn

PaulJohn Member

Hey,

I have a HW2 Model S and noticed that with AutoPilot engaged in stop and go traffic it frequently puts it on "Hold" when I'm doing something on my phone or have my head down while stopped. It doesn't do that when I'm looking straight ahead at the road...
    This leads me to believe Tesla might have implemented a hidden camera as an extra precaution. Have any of you noticed it as well? What do you think?

• Funny x 3
  2. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Nope.

• Like x 1
  3. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I doubt a camera, but what does trigger the "Hold" message right above the speed of "0" while in AP? I've been curious. Only does it sometimes and I don't recall seeing it in the manual.

4. croman

croman Active Member

Being too close to an object in front of you will trigger the HOLD. Typically you have TACC or AS implemented an a pedestrian walks in front of the car or you enagage TACC too close to the lead car and the car waits for you to indicate it is OK to proceed by you pressing the accelerator pedal.

• Informative x 1
  5. idoco

idoco Member

^^This. From the Model X owner's manual (emphasis added):

"When following a vehicle, Traffic-Aware Cruise
    Control remains active at low speeds, even if
    Model X comes to a standstill while following a
    vehicle. When traffic is moving again, Traffic-
    Aware Cruise Control resumes operating at
    your currently set speed. However, if a
    pedestrian or object is detected in front of
    Model X, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control goes
    into a HOLD state and the instrument panel
    displays a message
    indicating that you need
    to resume cruise control"

• Informative x 2
  6. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Thanks! That explains it. I think I have noticed it when the car in front has rolled back slightly towards me.

7. somnambule

somnambule Member

I'm fairly sure Tesla does not have a camera in the cabin, but supposedly the upcoming AP-like systems from Cadillac and Audi will have cameras to monitor driver behavior and trigger nags to hold the steering wheel.

• Informative x 1
  8. azred

azred Member

My wife never wears a skirt while driving our S just in case there is a hidden camera.

• Funny x 6
  9. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Other manufacturers are using cameras to verify the driver is actually looking at the road. This may be a better strategy than what Tesla is doing with the steering wheel pressure.

Though Tesla's plans are for AP2 to support FSD - and if they achieve that, then verifying the driver is monitoring the vehicle won't be an issue...

• Like x 1
  10. oktane

oktane Active Member

My girlfriend wears a skirt but never wears underwear while driving our Model S.

Pulling your leg, you think I'd let her drive my car?

• Funny x 1
  11. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Hey me too, and yet the car is still functioning, so there must be no inside camera!

On a more serious note, I have a back and front blackvue cameras, plus I have an inside camera because I'm paranoid and want to have enough evidence just in case something goes awry. Maybe it's another driver, maybe it's Tesla logs not telling the full story but my logs will, if I survive of course ;-). I see no reason why people shouldn't have the camera, you can always delete the footage - you can't create it out of thin air.

• Like x 1