Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping Trailer Selection for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the best 3000 lb camper? (for a Model X with 22 inch rims & tow package)

Hi fellow Xers,

I 90D X will be locked in on the 30th of November.

I have just started entertaining the idea of getting a camper to tow behind my Model X with 22 inch wheels. 22 inch wheels bring the towing capacity to 3500 lbs so I am looking for a camper that weighs around 3000 lbs.

I am looking for a modern camper or cutting edge. LED lights, etc...

Anyone know which campers are the best?
Thanks

I'm looking at into Ultra Light Tow-able Trailers. I've found a few made out of Aluminum like Teslas are. These two brands seem like a good place to start...

Livin Lite & Airstream

I'm looking for a premium trailer around 3000 lbs that is high tech & light weight.

Hello,

I new to this thread so sorry If this has been mentioned before. I am looking to a ultra lite tow-able camper under 3500 lbs as I'm getting 22 inch wheels.

Based on price and weight this looks promising

2015 Camp Lite 21RBS Weight: 3,350
I'd suggest you get the 20 inch wheels and a lighter trailer than this one. You need a fair margin of safety and don't forget that you'll be filling that trailer up with hundreds of pounds of food, clothes, etc. The trailer specs are "dry" meaning not including water, battery banks, nor sewage.

In my case. as I am considering the Model X, I am hoping the Model S 19 inch wheels will fit. For towing or driving gravel roads, the very last thing you want is a low profile tire. A 19 inch wheel, if it clears the brakes (which I think it will) with whatever tire gives it the same overall diameter as the 20's or 22's, will have an extra 1.5 inches profile over the 22's you are ordering. That 1.5 inches makes a huge difference in longevity, resistance to blow out and flats, plus adds substantial dampening for washboard, potholed, or gravel roads.

Last edited:
Hello,

I new to this thread so sorry If this has been mentioned before. I am looking to a ultra lite tow-able camper under 3500 lbs as I'm getting 22 inch wheels.

Based on price and weight this looks promising

2015 Camp Lite 21RBS Weight: 3,350

Don't forget, that's the dry weight. You'll need to take into account everything you put into it. You've only got 150 pound to work with so it had better not be much more than a set of sheets and some paper plates. Seriously, the stuff adds up. Also, if you fill up the fresh water tank (20 gallons) you'll end up with 170lbs of water and will be over weight with the 22" wheels.

Get the 20" wheels or a different trailer.

Houndabout_2_Bicycle_trailer_Large.jpg

My Searches & research for an ultralight tow-able with a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of 3000 lbs which are based on price and quality keep leading me back to this model.

This model is made of all aluminum just the the Model S/X so it will last for a very long time and wont break the already broken bank (Post Model X) like an Airstream or a Bowlus Road Chief.

Price: $15k Used to $20k New
2015 Livin' Lite Camplite 13QBB travel trailer only 2,350 Pounds!
Note: You have to account for the loads that the camper will hold too. not just the Empty weight or dry weight of 2,350 Pounds

My Searches & research for an ultralight tow-able with a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of 3000 lbs which are based on price and quality keep leading me back to this model.
(I'm getting 22s and because for that I can only tow 3500 Pounds)

This model is made of all aluminum just the the Model S/X so it will last for a very long time and wont break the already broken bank (Post Model X) like an Airstream or a Bowlus Road Chief.

Price: $15k Used to $20k New
2015 Livin' Lite Camplite 13QBB travel trailer only 2,350 Pounds!
Note: You have to account for the loads that the camper will hold too. not just the Empty weight or dry weight of 2,350 Pounds

I saw the Chalet series and really liked the concept. At under $1500lbs they can be towed by most anything. Folding Trailers : Chalet RV

Another family that we take a yearly drive/vacation with uses a popup camper, and it isn't too shabby. Should we decide to go that route (vs a cabin stay) this year, we'll probably see what it's like to rent a popup camper before committing to owning one.