Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I swap HV packs between my cars with the subscription version of Toolbox?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

@ VegarHenriksen

I have had a near enough 7 year pleasant experience driving my Tesla P85DL.
Tesla did in fact nurf my battery during “battery gate”, but I have since then gained back most of my range.
Battery warranty expires late this year, and I have been in two minds whether to sell and buy a more recent model with warranty.

However, my love affair with Tesla came abruptly to an end when they refused to enable ambient lights within my car configuration, despite the fact that I had purchased all four led strips from their Service department a few weeks prior and installed them.

Researching the issue took me on a journey, regarding the technical make-up of the vehicle and how it all bolts together.
I invested several weeks of research/ teardowns / Linux scripting to come up to speed.

During that time It has also made me aware as to how many individuals with technical knowledge guard it closely, and disclose very little….some for personal gain.
You sir have broken this mould and I commend you for sharing…..Thank you

Question …if you please.

I have access to Emmc P1 and P2 and was wondering if I can simply unzip the file and add as an .img image to the inactive partition

Best Regards

Just realized that everyone is telling that a crucial point is to match the car firmware to the battery after the swap. In this case, how is it possible to have 85D with the new 90kWh i stalled and that are still showing 85D in the dash? Not to talk about the 60/70 that were coming with 75 kWh from factory.
Asking this as I am preparing for a nasty quote here locally for a swap (if the found 100 battery os viable).

Just realized that everyone is telling that a crucial point is to match the car firmware to the battery after the swap. In this case, how is it possible to have 85D with the new 90kWh i stalled and that are still showing 85D in the dash? Not to talk about the 60/70 that were coming with 75 kWh from factory.
Asking this as I am preparing for a nasty quote here locally for a swap (if the found 100 battery os viable).

I am sure it can be done and Jason at 057 tech does this all the time. A good place to start would be to give him a call.

Just swapped battery in my P85 from 2013.
Installed 1102982-01-A (400V) taken from an S85 that had upgraded to 90 kwh under warranty.

All that was needed was reinstall FW! No coding needed.

Car runs and charges just fine..

Also sold most of the modules from the 85 kwh battery and will end up actually with an small profit.
Did u have to swap Pyro fuse?
I've read that Performance packs have different pyro to allow for more current...

Did u have to swap Pyro fuse?
I've read that Performance packs have different pyro to allow for more current...
I only have RWD P85 so dont think that will be an issue.

I do have an pyro fuse that I removed from my old 85 kwh battery.
I dont know what fuse is in the 90KWH battery currently, but checking and changing is now easy since its located under the battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
I only have RWD P85 so dont think that will be an issue.

I do have an pyro fuse that I removed from my old 85 kwh battery.
I dont know what fuse is in the 90KWH battery currently, but checking and changing is now easy since its located under the battery.
I'm not sure either how much current each can handle..
Have u done WOT launches? i guess that would be the true test...

Yes, have tried WOT but only for short periods. I believe the original fuse for the P85 was 650A.

650A and 350V is only 227KW so kind of low when you think about it.

I will open and check the fuse and replace with the new self powered 2000A Pyro fuse if its not done already.
It could be one of those old pyro fuse with batteries built in, and those expire after some 8 years.

Reactions: brainhouston
I checked the fuse today. 1077177-00-B, Pyro Fuse with built in batteries.
Changed it for the new model that's self-powered. I double checked with Tesla, and its compatible with my car.
It can handle 2000A and will never blow unless there is an actual short.

I checked the fuse today. 1077177-00-B, Pyro Fuse with built in batteries.
Changed it for the new model that's self-powered. I double checked with Tesla, and its compatible with my car.
It can handle 2000A and will never blow unless there is an actual short.
Great info. Do you have part number for replacement self powered pyro fuse? 11111313-00-F ?