Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: @#)$(*!% Curb rash...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Experience (x3) tells me that for just over $100/wheel the service center will make it magically go away. :)

(Mods may want to merge this with the (#$*%& rash thread.)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360284834.699657.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360284850.032392.jpg

Don't have a picture of it fixed, but you have to know about to find it.

It's gouged pretty good - and about half way around. I'll go get a photo of it and post it. I could bare to take photos before ...

- - - Updated - - -

Here it is. The photo doesn't do it justice

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 979
I'm really worried about messing up my wheels as well so I ordered a product from Alloy Gator to protect the rims. http://www.alloygator.com
I'm perhaps overly concerned about the size of this car - and I'm still months away from delivery. But this seems to be a product that may calm me down a bit.

I know I'm going to get rim rashes my self when the time comes. Just praying it's not as soon as markb1 and not as bad as Bruce. Feel sorry for you guys.

Does anyone know how a procedure like this would work on the grey wheels? http://www.doityourself.com

I have them and made the OP about them in the curb rash thread. A bit of elbow grease to install but I highly recommend them. I've curbed them once and they did their job beautifully.

Thanks for that OP. I have them in the package along with the other MS stuff. Now all I need is the car. That'll be one of the first things I put on. Seems almost mandatory with the 21's.

Is it just me? Or is the Tesla more difficult to feel when maneuvering? I have a difficult time with this car, and I drove a BMW 7 for 9 years.

I think that this is just a result of the fact that it's a new car for you. I had the same kind of feeling when my car was brand new, but now after 2000 miles, I have a great "feel" for the the dimensions of the car.

I'm perhaps overly concerned about the size of this car - and I'm still months away from delivery. But this seems to be a product that may calm me down a bit.

My problem is that I've driven large vehicles or vehicles with large enough tires -- the Model S is my first vehicle with low-profile tires, subject to rash. I have been used to rather careless parking habits -- pull over until you feel the tire slightly rub against the curb. :)

I like ElSupreme's idea of setting up some cones and stuff in a parking lot and practicing until you feel really confident with the car dimensions.

Another low tech idea: curb feelers Curb feelers, car whiskers : theTHROTTLE
Although if not done right they could look extremely cheesy. Maybe someone will come up with something that looks nice and works well for the S (maybe to use as training wheels until you get the hang of it??)

Just a thought...I'm sure this idea has been brought up before in other threads...

It's challenging in part because you can't see your front corners. Between the down-tilting side mirrors and backup camera, I find I have a much clearer sense about where the rear end and rear tires are than the fronts.

Agreed, this is the first car that I've owned that had tilting mirrors and it helps tremenously when parallel parking the car. I can actually get really close to the curb without hitting the tire/wheels. The front I find isn't that bad since the adjusting headlights help a lot with knowing where objects are when it's dark out. Other than that I can generally see and avoid objects on the front.