Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's hilarious considering Munro is such a huge Ford guy. And the fact that you linked the truth and they banned you. Shrugs... it's clearly not a place for the truth.
He used to be an engineer there, didn’t he? I thought he mentioned he had a pension from Ford when reviewing the Mach-E on the drive when he thrashed their Level Two driving ability and it gave out when the turn got a little too sharp.

• Funny
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Its odd because C&D have reviewed multiple EVs, including the Mach-e and Y, you cant find an EV that has such a short range these days, yet here we are...

While, as I said, I can't believe anyone would take that seriously, I am recalling now a conversation I had with a work colleague after I bought my Tesla. She said, "nice, but I guess that is ok for you since you live near downtown", suggesting that if I lived any further out, the car would not have the range to make it. True, I live near downtown, but she does not live that much further out. From where she lives, my Tesla (LR) would have the range to do the round trip drive from her house to downtown about 40 times in a day on a single charge. Even from Ottawa's most distant suburb, having sufficient range to commute with a Tesla is simply not an issue - not the slightest. And yet she believed that it was. And this was from a smart, well-educated, young woman. I doubt that she is a Car and Driver reader, but I guess that misinformation about EVs filters out there more generally.

He used to be an engineer there, didn’t he? I thought he mentioned he had a pension from Ford when reviewing the Mach-E on the drive when he thrashed their Level Two driving ability and it gave out when the turn got a little too sharp.
Yea, he worked there and then as a long time consultant.

While, as I said, I can't believe anyone would take that seriously, I am recalling now a conversation I had with a work colleague after I bought my Tesla. She said, "nice, but I guess that is ok for you since you live near downtown", suggesting that if I lived any further out, the car would not have the range to make it. True, I live near downtown, but she does not live that much further out. From where she lives, my Tesla (LR) would have the range to do the round trip drive from her house to downtown about 40 times in a day on a single charge. Even from Ottawa's most distant suburb, having sufficient range to commute with a Tesla is simply not an issue - not the slightest. And yet she believed that it was. And this was from a smart, well-educated, young woman. I doubt that she is a Car and Driver reader, but I guess that misinformation about EVs filters out there more generally.
PPL have so much bias against Tesla, shrugs. Hell even some owners here have some form of dislike too, which is bizarre. Anyways I'll share this story of an aunt whose an early Tesla adopter. She's driven her very early S 75D since new and has racked up over 180K miles on it. And the crazy part is it only had 208 miles of range to begin with and she's been commuting from the OC to LA for a decade. The car has spent most of its life supercharged. She's in her 70's and has driven the S like crazy. She'll probably get a Y for the extra space from what I hear.

Most people are clueless about all electric cars and believe what they read in the media. It’s unfortunate that they will not take the time to do the research to become more educated on the subject.
Agreed. Like someone that just told me my Tesla will catch on fire like all the Bolts have been recently. First off, very few Bolts have been catching on fire…. <sigh>

All of the legacy OEMs, like Ford, got dragged kicking and screaming into building EVs. You can call them glorified compliance vehicles or whatever. They still really don't want to build EVs and the Japanese OEMs are adamantly opposed to building EVs.

When they make excuses like that, Ford will have little to no incentive to improve anything in a hurry. There are other EV choices besides Ford for the 'never Tesla' crowd. And others on the way. Yes, we'll lose some to ICE, but I don't see Ford getting this sorted in the short term. They need a complete change of mindset which isn't happening anytime time soon.

Seems to me that Ford is getting it, not quite like VW, but they're making real strides. Mach E and F150 Lightning are more than just compliance cars. It's just that this transition is going to be really hard for all legacy car makers. Their R&D workforce will have to go through some major turnover to replace the ICE engineers with battery/electronic/SW engineers, all while supporting their ICE bread and butter. That seems like a tall order. I wouldn't be surprised if some brands fail miserably during that transition, especially if the transition occurs faster than they anticipated it. Looks to me that Europe is going to shift to EVs in record time, and that can't be good for anyone other than VW and Tesla.

Half of MachE are sent to Europe where they are certainly compliance cars as Ford's phev push failed.

The f150 is starting in such low numbers it's hard to see it as anything other than a marketing exercise
Well, they're apparently willing to spend $11B on new factories to prove the above wrong. It won't guarantee success, but it certainly proves that they're willing to scale up their EV ambitions.

That's awesome, however, $11B or any amount of money won't buy them 1 second of time. I doubt they can spend $110B (10x) get their new factories up and running in 1/10 time.

Tesla started building their Berlin factory a while ago and it's roughly scheduled to start MY production in October.
Tesla started building their Austin factory a while ago and they've already started MY pilot builds.

Tesla is know for rapid iteration and won't be standing still and stagnating while Ford or the other OEMs announce their future investments plans to the media.

Well, they're apparently willing to spend $11B on new factories to prove the above wrong. It won't guarantee success, but it certainly proves that they're willing to scale up their EV ambitions.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
That's awesome, however, $11B or any amount of money won't buy them 1 second of time. I doubt they can spend $110B (10x) get their new factories up and running in 1/10 time.

Tesla started building their Berlin factory a while ago and it's roughly scheduled to start MY production in October.
Tesla started building their Austin factory a while ago and they've already started MY pilot builds.

Tesla is know for rapid iteration and won't be standing still and stagnating while Ford or the other OEMs announce their future investments plans to the media.
They've got the same problems that Intel has. It doesn't matter how much money they throw at it or how many plants they build, they are just not as smart as AMD. AMD did a complete ground up approach to their Zen processor while Intel keeps telling the world they have the superior process when they don't. In this case we can replace AMD with Tesla and everyone else with Intel.

They've got the same problems that Intel has. It doesn't matter how much money they throw at it or how many plants they build, they are just not as smart as AMD. AMD did a complete ground up approach to their Zen processor while Intel keeps telling the world they have the superior process when they don't. In this case we can replace AMD with Tesla and everyone else with Intel.
I agree with you on AMD and Tesla. They say Intel has the best engineers, but I'm not convinced. Zen has a brighter future, IMO.

Ford should have started with a basic solution and then add features as they become more robust. But no, they had to show Tesla how it's done and lost on pretty much every front.

I agree with you on AMD and Tesla. They say Intel has the best engineers, but I'm not convinced. Zen has a brighter future, IMO.

Ford should have started with a basic solution and then add features as they become more robust. But no, they had to show Tesla how it's done and lost on pretty much every front.
The thing that is really laughable to me at least is that the lessons Tesla learned a decade ago are very well documented. The hubris that the legacy makers show right now is being paid back in all these recalls that they are suffering from. Tesla knock on wood has overcome thermal runaway in their early years and yet every brand that uses LG Chem a decade later is running into this eventual wall. I don't know where I'm going exactly, but dammit they should have learned by being a first follower but instead they lol at Tesla acting like they know better.