Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. Car & Driver did not mince words in this head to head matchup.

The simple truth is that the MY came to market a year earlier, allowing Ford to take aim and level it. The MME is a better value, better looking, better built, smoother driving, easier to operate, and quieter car.

Really the only material reasons to buy a Y are if you like the Tesla software/minimalist ecosystem, you want to pay $10k to be a “full self driving” (it’s not, and it’s many years away, but it’s further along than Ford) guinea pig, or if you plan to road trip so much that need the superior convenience of the supercharger network (a gap that is closing thanks to all other mfgs adopting CCS).

This is the way of things. Competition continually improves. The Mach E wins this segment. We’ll see what the future holds.
too bad its freaking ugly..i mean both are to me but the mustangs i have seen are dogs-model y is way better looking then either

Reactions: alexgr
too bad its freaking ugly..i mean both are to me but the mustangs i have seen are dogs-model y is way better looking then either

Design is of course quite subjective, and a lot of people seem to really like the MME design. That said, my own subjective view is the same as yours: it is plug ugly. Online pictures do not do it sufficient (negative) justice. You have to see it in real life to see the full effect of its mixed-up design cues. Ford took a squat SUV design and tried to smear some Mustang lipstick on it.

And I say this as a longtime Ford buyer. I do not share the overall negative sentiment about Ford on this thread - I have enjoyed some nice Ford cars, although I will admit that their current offerings do not turn me on. Further, the Ford cars that I had were fairly reliable: some flaws, but ok, nice to drive, and ultimately good value for the money. I would not say the same thing about their current line-up. But Ford in North America has mostly become a truck company in any event.

I am a Tesla fan now. Really enjoying my current Model 3. 😁

Design is of course quite subjective, and a lot of people seem to really like the MME design. That said, my own subjective view is the same as yours: it is plug ugly. Online pictures do not do it sufficient (negative) justice. You have to see it in real life to see the full effect of its mixed-up design cues. Ford took a squat SUV design and tried to smear some Mustang lipstick on it.

And I say this as a longtime Ford buyer. I do not share the overall negative sentiment about Ford on this thread - I have enjoyed some nice Ford cars, although I will admit that their current offerings do not turn me on. Further, the Ford cars that I had were fairly reliable: some flaws, but ok, nice to drive, and ultimately good value for the money. I would not say the same thing about their current line-up. But Ford in North America has mostly become a truck company in any event.

I am a Tesla fan now. Really enjoying my current Model 3. 😁
I was a Mach-e supporter and planned on trading my MYP for a GT PE. What's made me negative about Ford and the Mach-e is the horrible job Ford did with it. The thermal system is a nightmare and is going to cost Mach-e owners a fortune in maintenance in the long run. The Mach-e forum is one huge problem with the car after another. The GT PE is a dog. Blue Cruise is a joke. Yeah, these things are what turned me off Ford. They're doing things the same old way, building cars to break so dealers can make money on service. Ford--and the other dinosaurs--have totally screwed the pooch with EVs, and now our tax dollars get to bail out these idiots under the guise of "EV incentives", even though Joe and his buddies are doing everything they can to screw the actual leader in EVs with those "Incentives." So yeah, Ford sucks. If they build a decent car and stop pushing for bail out money maybe I'll change my mind.

I was a Mach-e supporter and planned on trading my MYP for a GT PE. What's made me negative about Ford and the Mach-e is the horrible job Ford did with it. The thermal system is a nightmare and is going to cost Mach-e owners a fortune in maintenance in the long run. The Mach-e forum is one huge problem with the car after another. The GT PE is a dog. Blue Cruise is a joke. Yeah, these things are what turned me off Ford. They're doing things the same old way, building cars to break so dealers can make money on service. Ford--and the other dinosaurs--have totally screwed the pooch with EVs, and now our tax dollars get to bail out these idiots under the guise of "EV incentives", even though Joe and his buddies are doing everything they can to screw the actual leader in EVs with those "Incentives." So yeah, Ford sucks. If they build a decent car and stop pushing for bail out money maybe I'll change my mind.
Don't go by what goes in a typical car forum. People come there just to complain and look for solutions from others who have similar problems. The owner whose car runs fine has little incentive to broadcast that. That is true for almost all car forums, except Tesla.

Tesla forums and social media posts are overwhelmingly about how the owners love their cars & exchange notes, and in the initial days it also had the plethora of of problems being discussed. When Model S was released you would see a host of people whose drivetrains were replaced, but in general most of those core issues seemed to have completely died down. The biggest noise you see out there today are cosmetic - scratches under the bumper and some trim issues - that most would not even notice.

• Disagree
Don't go by what goes in a typical car forum. People come there just to complain and look for solutions from others who have similar problems. The owner whose car runs fine has little incentive to broadcast that. That is true for almost all car forums, except Tesla.
It's about patterns. Lots of me-too posts almost always mean a certain percentage of the cars will have the problem. And quite often it's a certain model year which can also be determined from the forum posts. People were complaining about the MME glass roof early on and now there's a recall. . And a lot of the other complaints have resulted in TSBs or SSMs. As a long time forum junkie, IMO, they are the most valuable source of info when it comes to issues out in the wild.

Yeah, seeing a problem on a forum doesn't mean the sky is falling, but an expanding thread about the same issue usually means it's a cause for concern depending on how serious it is.

True, people do join forums to post about problems, but people with problems also lurk and never post.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman

Tesla forums and social media posts are overwhelmingly about how the owners love their cars & exchange notes, and in the initial days it also had the plethora of of problems being discussed. When Model S was released you would see a host of people whose drivetrains were replaced, but in general most of those core issues seemed to have completely died down. The biggest noise you see out there today are cosmetic - scratches under the bumper and some trim issues - that most would not even notice.
So much this.

I saw a thread once where the OP complained that his Y was tracking along with the road instead of going where he wanted. This somehow had something to do with Teslas in general and not lord forbid a grooved road surface issue. Resurfaced roads with grooves (because they use grinders that leaves grooves on the road surface)... in any other car it would be a road surface issue but not here, nope.

Damn, you were gonna trade in your MYP? Lucky you didn't cuz that would have been some seriously sour grapes.

I disagree. For example, the MachEForum is full of Ford enthusiasts who love their Mach-E and are happy to tell the world how great are the their cars, and that they are much better off than Tesla, of course. Long time ago I was on a Toyota forum, and a lot of people came to the forum to discuss how they modified their suspension and brakes. People come to car forums for all sort of reasons, not just when their car dies.

I have been driving a 2016 Ford Edge Titanium for the past 5 years. It was my first new Ford purchase. I have 50K miles on it and it has been a great car. We also have a really good dealer in town. Before I bought the Edge, I had a Tesla Model S on order (no local dealer yet). I canceled the Tesla order and bought the Edge for personal - family reasons. The timing was wrong for the Tesla. I needed something more modest, cheaper, and practical.

When Ford announced the Mach-e, I was all in. I placed an early reservation (the day it was announced) and waited. I decided a few months after my reservation, that I really wanted the GT version, so I reserved that and canceled my regular Mach-e.

In all this time, I had never driven nor even ridden in an electric car.

Last Winter, my son in northern CA took delivery of a new Tesla Model Y PE. In very early Spring, he drove it cross country to visit us in the Chicago area and stayed with us for several weeks. I finally got my ride time in a Tesla. Then my Ford dealer received their first demo Mach-e AWD. I arranged to pick up the demo and take it for a couple hours.

But first I spent an hour learning and driving my son's Telsa. Then we headed to the Ford dealer and parked right next to the Mach-e. The Model Y has a shorter wheelbase but wider stance. I spent a couple hours driving the Mustang. They were very close in my own comparison. I liked the headroom, the front seat width, visibility and the frameless windows in the Tesla. And of course acceleration. The Mach-e had a bit better ride and it had Apple Car play which I have been using in my Edge for years. IMHO They are about equal on looks. Ford is made in Mexico. Tesla in the US.

That weekend, I decided to cancel my Mach-e GT reservation and order a Tesla Model S. But I wanted the refresh so waited a few months and ordered one in mid-May. Delivery has been pushed back twice. It was due in October but 2 days ago it changed to November. Fortunately, I am a patient man.

I have also reserved a Ford F-150 lightning truck for work.

Tom

I have been driving a 2016 Ford Edge Titanium for the past 5 years. It was my first new Ford purchase. I have 50K miles on it and it has been a great car. We also have a really good dealer in town. Before I bought the Edge, I had a Tesla Model S on order (no local dealer yet). I canceled the Tesla order and bought the Edge for personal - family reasons. The timing was wrong for the Tesla. I needed something more modest, cheaper, and practical.

When Ford announced the Mach-e, I was all in. I placed an early reservation (the day it was announced) and waited. I decided a few months after my reservation, that I really wanted the GT version, so I reserved that and canceled my regular Mach-e.

In all this time, I had never driven nor even ridden in an electric car.

Last Winter, my son in northern CA took delivery of a new Tesla Model Y PE. In very early Spring, he drove it cross country to visit us in the Chicago area and stayed with us for several weeks. I finally got my ride time in a Tesla. Then my Ford dealer received their first demo Mach-e AWD. I arranged to pick up the demo and take it for a couple hours.

But first I spent an hour learning and driving my son's Telsa. Then we headed to the Ford dealer and parked right next to the Mach-e. The Model Y has a shorter wheelbase but wider stance. I spent a couple hours driving the Mustang. They were very close in my own comparison. I liked the headroom, the front seat width, visibility and the frameless windows in the Tesla. And of course acceleration. The Mach-e had a bit better ride and it had Apple Car play which I have been using in my Edge for years. IMHO They are about equal on looks. Ford is made in Mexico. Tesla in the US.

That weekend, I decided to cancel my Mach-e GT reservation and order a Tesla Model S. But I wanted the refresh so waited a few months and ordered one in mid-May. Delivery has been pushed back twice. It was due in October but 2 days ago it changed to November. Fortunately, I am a patient man.

I have also reserved a Ford F-150 lightning truck for work.

Tom
It will be worth the wait, I love both my model s and x cannot wait to get rid of my F-150 ICE I like the truck but want all electric.

Reactions: Nakk
It will be worth the wait, I love both my model s and x cannot wait to get rid of my F-150 ICE I like the truck but want all electric.
Thanks. I just watched the Rivian R1T youtube demo this week. Looks really impressive. I think the F150 lightning is a bit clunky but should be stronger with a plow on the front than the R1T. I only plow my parking lot at work and 3 driveways for properties we own.

Thanks. I just watched the Rivian R1T youtube demo this week. Looks really impressive. I think the F150 lightning is a bit clunky but should be stronger with a plow on the front than the R1T. I only plow my parking lot at work and 3 driveways for properties we own.
With 800+hp and weighing 7000#, wouldn't the R1T be able to handle plowing duties (assuming you can mount one)?

That weekend, I decided to cancel my Mach-e GT reservation and order a Tesla Model S.

Tom
Based on the reviews, Mach-E GT just makes no sense. If someone really wants to play russian roulette with Ford, then take Mach-E Premium AWD.
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are the crutches to compensate poorly designed last century car's UIs.
Go Tesla! Go new Model S!

Bloomberg article says no plow on the R1T. "But It's Not a Work Truck ... Its front end will not sustain a snow plow"

Not confirmed on the F150 lightning either but will be before I turn my reservation into an order.

When Model S was released you would see a host of people whose drivetrains were replaced, but in general most of those core issues seemed to have completely died down.
FWIW: it was almost every car produced up until then that had to have that flaw repaired, another big flaw at the time had to do with the contacts which also failed on many cars.
the good thing was that there were less than 50k model Ss that were on the road then and at that time tesla service centers were not overwhelmed and they were able to get the issues resolved quickly.

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are the crutches to compensate poorly designed last century car's UIs.
Go Tesla! Go new Model S!
I see it as car play and android provide things at a far lower cost than the manufacturers were charging. thousands of dollars for a nav and "premium" sound systems became absurd when you could run an app like waze via car play for next to nothing.

Reactions: roc-noc
I see it as car play and android provide things at a far lower cost than the manufacturers were charging. thousands of dollars for a nav and "premium" sound systems became absurd when you could run an app like waze via car play for next to nothing.
This is why I find it has a lot more sense to equip a lower-priced Hyundai Accent with Android Auto than a premium Audi Q7 or e-Tron. What's the point to pay extra for navigation that is obsolete at the moment of delivery to only use your phone thereafter.