Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a long-term Tesla owner, however, I'd like to speak up for the MachE.
I passed one yesterday. Not a bad looking or performing car with decent utility. I gave her a "thumb's up" from my Model 3.
Its so nice that there is now another EV available where we don't have to hear their Tesla "sour-grapes" owners making up excuses for how 'nobody needs to drive very far or fast anyway', 'EVs should be given to the poor first', or 'it is better do drive very slowly and enjoy the road, stopping for hours at each of the many charging stops (as if they have no place to go and all day to get there)'.
We finally have an EV that is in reach of the majority of Americans, it has marginally viable charging infrastructure that isn't taxing the Supercharger network, and there is even an argument whether it might be as good as a Tesla.
Sure, its made my slaves in a different country but that's no different from the Korean or Chinese models.
I'll only be happy when ALL cars on the road are electric. They don't have to all be Tesla's. My TSLA stock has been doing and will do just fine in the presence of other car manufacturers.
Just as RCA invented the television and dominated for years then eventually fell out of the market, Tesla may eventually blow its EV market if they get complacent and loyal customers turn on them. Hopefully, Tesla will get a 50 year run or more as well.

Reactions: daktari
Again, if the ‘pro C/D’ would make a re-appearance in this thread, I’d ask them to take a look at its website today.
C8CDD53B-B79E-47B9-9BC9-F93B272CD731.jpeg

So an automotive enthusiast magazine would run a CUV on its cover vs. two other more ‘desirable’ products by its own findings via road tests listed its lease deal articles? (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mazda Miata)

That’s a really nice shot of the Escape. Again, we can argue the merits of each EV all day, but the one poster who links C/D and ‘lol more bribery’ commentary won’t engage in discussion as to why two Ford products made the website cover this week (both will stay there two days) with such glossy nicely shot pictures.

Reactions: john5520 and alexgr
I'm a long-term Tesla owner, however, I'd like to speak up for the MachE.
I passed one yesterday. Not a bad looking or performing car with decent utility. I gave her a "thumb's up" from my Model 3.
Its so nice that there is now another EV available where we don't have to hear their Tesla "sour-grapes" owners making up excuses for how 'nobody needs to drive very far or fast anyway', 'EVs should be given to the poor first', or 'it is better do drive very slowly and enjoy the road, stopping for hours at each of the many charging stops (as if they have no place to go and all day to get there)'.
We finally have an EV that is in reach of the majority of Americans, it has marginally viable charging infrastructure that isn't taxing the Supercharger network, and there is even an argument whether it might be as good as a Tesla.
Sure, its made my slaves in a different country but that's no different from the Korean or Chinese models.
I'll only be happy when ALL cars on the road are electric. They don't have to all be Tesla's. My TSLA stock has been doing and will do just fine in the presence of other car manufacturers.
Just as RCA invented the television and dominated for years then eventually fell out of the market, Tesla may eventually blow its EV market if they get complacent and loyal customers turn on them. Hopefully, Tesla will get a 50 year run or more as well.
The issue is not that Mach-E is a terrible car, and I agree the more EVs - the better. Bolt, by the way, was and is a reasonable EV accessible to the masses, and it came to the market long before the Mach-E.

The issue is that Ford is just blanketing the advertisement field including the automotive magazines making fantastical presentations of its Mach-E, while shitting all other EVs.

Reactions: SO16
I spent a little time reading some of the threads. It was eye opening and very different from this forum. People seem very patient considering the number of issues they are having. If this was a new Tesla you are 100% right, it would be on every financial show predicting the end of Tesla.
They seem to be holding on to the idea that Ford is going to magically fix these issues with OTA updates, but I think they might be betting on the wrong horse. And worse if it turns out some of these problems are not only software related, but involves the hardware as well.

Anyone who's had a technical background would know that random issues are the worst type of problems to troubleshoot, especially when there are a lot of moving parts involved.
So again for long distance travel (which range/ease of charging seemed pretty important to ICE drivers just 4 years ago) the question here are more consistent panel tolerances, slightly better steering feel and ride worth it?

I’m not sure it is for some drivers.
A large portion of the Mach-e crowd are enamored by its looks and the appearance of 'quality' and buy into the media hype and bias. Many will learn the hard way that there are other more important things to consider, especially in the case of an EV.

They also talk about the large dealer presence, but that isn't much of an advantage if more than half offer poor service or are clueless about the car.

Last edited:
... but Ford Mo Co. is working hard to fix it!
That reminds of the Durango the wife drove years ago. It was in the stealership for something I can't remember now, but they told the wife she needed to have the rear diff fluid changed at a cost of 70 bucks. lol wut! She probably would have let them do it if she hadn't called me to check. Changing the rear diff fluid is like the easiest thing to do and you don't even have to jack the car up since its already high off the ground, two bolts, simple as pie.

The issue is that Ford is just blanketing the advertisement field including the automotive magazines making fantastical presentations of its Mach-E, while shitting all other EVs.
People have been dumping on Tesla for over a decade. It hasn't been particularly successful though.
At least they've stopped making up stories about how "EVs aren't ready yet" or "we built them but nobody wanted them" or "they take too long to charge" or "they can't go far enough on a charge" like they have for the past 30 years - thanks to Tesla.

I was actually referring to this particular quote

But between Electrify America's growing charging network and the long-range EVs from Ford and Volkswagen, there's no longer a reason why Tesla should own this segment.

Even my former colleagues in Dearborn admitted that this should’ve been edited out. EAs issues with charging is pretty well known and hasn’t moved much in 5 months.
You’re half-right. The Mach E had significant public charging issues out the gate, including with EA. But the charging has since improved A LOT. I was one of the early adopters that was bitten a few times early on while public charging. A few updates later, I’ve had no more issues. Plug & Charge works (currently limited to the EA network). ChargePoint DCFC likewise works great.

Better range, but worst charging experience all around: slower and often frustrating. One of the most recent bugs I've seen reported was the Mach-e not releasing the charge cable for reasons not quite clear. Luckily, EA's tech support actually seems competent and was able to help. Ford had suggested a tow truck.

Apparently, there's a release buried somewhere under the frunk plastic covers which many owners seem unaware of and is a pain to get to.

I’ve mentioned this a few times and I’ll do so again: Tesla’s are always going to charge somewhat faster than the Mach E. And at least for the next couple years, in at least some areas, Tesla will offer a more convenient charging network. Undeniable. But unless public charging is of paramount importance to you, it just isn’t enough of an advantage to forgo all the Mach E’s advantages.

People have been dumping on Tesla for over a decade. It hasn't been particularly successful though.
At least they've stopped making up stories about how "EVs aren't ready yet" or "we built them but nobody wanted them" or "they take too long to charge" or "they can't go far enough on a charge" like they have for the past 30 years - thanks to Tesla.
My Mach E would not exist were it not for the trail Tesla blazed this past decade. So I give credit where it is due. The “us versus them” tribalism is stupid. So are the conspiracy theories about so and so simply being bought and paid for. We should be able to objectively compare products, and also accept that it is the nature of competition that eventually somebody’s gonna come to market with something better.

Reactions: daktari
Objectively, there is no "us versus them". There is Tesla and then everyone else. If you want a good reliable high quality car with the best technologies and the best value, which also happens to be an EV, there is no other option but Tesla.

Tesla is the best NOT because it is an EV. It is because it is the best car.

Between the Mach-E and other non-Tesla EVs on the market, I would take the E-Tron if I could afford it and Bolt if I couldn't. E-Tron has better charging, it has more plush (and leather), it's bigger, better quality, and it is more reliable than the Mach-E. Bolt is a good value EV with reliable, though slower, charging, best value for the money if you can't afford a Tesla. Bolt EUV has almost as much cargo volume as the Mach-E with seats down.

Based on the humongous number of issues with the Mach-E and an anemic Ford's response that keep sending engineers to local dealers to solve Mach-E problems, I stand by my initial suggestion that Ford will discontinue the Mach-E soon... or at least they will release a seriously modified version and f**k those who bought into their Mach-E advertisement in the first year of production.

Reactions: john5520
My Mach E would not exist were it not for the trail Tesla blazed this past decade. So I give credit where it is due.
I'm glad to see you understand some of the story. Many EV drivers don't, unfortunately.

I'm afraid, however that

The “us versus them” tribalism
to which you refer still shows a bit of naivety.
Many think that EVs are here because of government support. They repeat and amplify mistruths about the company and its leader who risked every dollar he had to show the human race that a good standard of living does not depend on petroleum. They attack Tesla naively in the name of promoting EVs. This is shown in anti-Tesla legislation against which Tesla must compete.
A lot of folks tried to introduce EVs back in the early 1990s as the key technologies came to the point of feasible. They were stifled, ridiculed, and attacked. There was tribalism. It was, and still is, EVs -vs- EV haters.
Perhaps Ford hasn't been fully in the "anti" camp.
I guess they haven't been quite so dedicated to burying EV technology as most of the rest. At least back in the 2000's, Unlike GM, Ford didn't crush all of the Ranger EVs, they even let their owners buy them.
see He Refuses to Put Down Electric-Powered Pickup and the good ending to the story at TRANSPORTATION: Before the electric F-150, Ford built a unicorn EV truck
Perhaps their lame energi effort was a hint that they were coming around but it was so poorly executed, it's hard to give them much credit. We know they have the engineering talent but management never let them do what was needed.
The MachE is a hint that they're doing the right thing but I'll have to see the F150 Lightning and a few more EVs with blue ovals before I'll be sure they're onboard.
In the mean time count me skeptical but cautiously optimistic, yet encouraging.

I’ve mentioned this a few times and I’ll do so again: Tesla’s are always going to charge somewhat faster than the Mach E. And at least for the next couple years, in at least some areas, Tesla will offer a more convenient charging network. Undeniable. But unless public charging is of paramount importance to you, it just isn’t enough of an advantage to forgo all the Mach E’s advantages.
What advantages? You keep saying this…

You’re half-right. The Mach E had significant public charging issues out the gate, including with EA. But the charging has since improved A LOT. I was one of the early adopters that was bitten a few times early on while public charging. A few updates later, I’ve had no more issues. Plug & Charge works (currently limited to the EA network). ChargePoint DCFC likewise works great.

From C/D from which you’ve posted on this platform quite a few times:

About 50 miles north of Morgantown, the Mach-E's fast start was falling apart in a spectacular string of charging failures. An EVgo station refused to work for more than a minute at a time, eating up a half-hour before the drivers moved on. With 6 percent battery charge, the Mach-E crawled 10 miles to another EVgo unit and had the same problem. The team then crossed the street and hooked up to a Level 2 station.

So again, per C/Ds own recount of a road trip with a Mach E, the statement I posted seems contradictory with its own findings. I’m really not sure how that’s debatable.

Reactions: john5520

About 50 miles north of Morgantown, the Mach-E's fast start was falling apart in a spectacular string of charging failures. An EVgo station refused to work for more than a minute at a time, eating up a half-hour before the drivers moved on. With 6 percent battery charge, the Mach-E crawled 10 miles to another EVgo unit and had the same problem. The team then crossed the street and hooked up to a Level 2 station.

So again, per C/Ds own recount of a road trip with a Mach E, the statement I posted seems contradictory with its own findings. I’m really not sure how that’s debatable.
FORDMME will translate that to “it’s a much better looking car” 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG

There is no point. @FordMME ignores posts he can’t handle responding too.

He’s a troll. I’m a fan of the MME. I’m on record rooting for it. That said I’m happy to call it out for its shortcomings. This user has come to this thread multiple times posting that the MME is simply better. It usually boils down to looks and the larger less efficient pack.

He clearly is trying to validate his own questions about his purchase. On another note it’ll be interesting to see how MME customers handle the battery degradation of their larger less efficient pack in a year or two…

• Funny
Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG