Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ironically my M3P has been far more reliable in my 4 years of ownership than my EV6 which has stranded me a couple times (only 1 year of ownership too). Stupid 12V on it keeps draining and I got a couple random check lights which I had to take to dealer. After a year of ownership, I still prefer the Tesla interface over the native system + Carplay that the EV6 offers. After all that said, my wife prefers the EV6 over the Tesla and her opinion on the family car is all important to our family 😁

My recommendation is to never buy a first year model - I tell folks to avoid the 2021 ID.4, 2021 Mach-E, and even the 21 RAV4 Prime - which I've all owned and had various issues (R4P more about Toyota not being so cheap and including backlit buttons and 6.6 kW charger by default). Stick with the second year after the manufacturer has fixed issues.

I'm outright telling folks now to avoid the first year of the Cybertruck :)

Kia has the worst commercials too.

A recent Kia commercial i saw tells me that Kia thinks we're ineffcient, disrespectful buffoons.

Who the hell makes a father drive all the way back home for a $2 binky for the baby, only to tell the dutiful and incurious courier that the baby likes the color he didn't fetch?

The buffoon's response? He mindlessly gets in the car to fetch the blue binky. No thoughts in his head at all.

Are Kia buyers so dumb that they wouldn't just buy the preferred blue binky at a drug store for a couple bucks where they're at? It's a binky, not a critical life-support device, and they're so cheap. Why do they own a binky the baby rejects? If the baby prefers blue they could just buy a blue one locally.

Also, why is the guy so dumb that he doesn't speak up with this idea and why does the wife not impart this critical info before she wastes his time like this? Now she's alone with the baby in some sufficiently distant location because she has no respect for his time, their trip, timeline, efficiency...or her husband.

Now imagine the wife was the one having to fetch a cheap drugstore binky from home, twice, because the guy couldnt be bothered to impart critical info. It would hit differently.

Kia is taking the easy trope of making the husband the stooge. Who exactly are they trying to appeal to here? To me this is pure trending political/ideological virtue-signaling and it's a dangerous game. Just ask Gillette.

Kia thinks that wasting someone's time with comical and lazy inefficiency is...clever. This is how they're trying to sell EVs to Americans? This was their best effort?

Advertising is one thing, but done badly it can also be repellant.

Last edited:
Ill be the first to say I am not a fan of Kia. Also not a fan of Tesla. I have to just compare products based on merit and not on pedigree, when it comes to EV
It is not about being a fan or not. It is about Korean brands solidly and objectively occupying top ranks of the 'total crap' category for most of their history. When I sit in a Hyundai or (especially) Kia, I see cheap plastic, economy everywhere, and a negative number of days of expected reliability.

It is not about being a fan or not. It is about Korean brands solidly and objectively occupying top ranks of the 'total crap' category for most of their history. When I sit in a Hyundai or (especially) Kia, I see cheap plastic, economy everywhere, and a negative number of days of expected reliability.

Have you sat in the newer ones? The EV6 has better materials and build quality than my Tesla and much quieter too. My Hondas feel cheaper than the Kia.

Reactions: Takumi and voxel

A recent Kia commercial i saw tells me that Kia thinks we're ineffcient, disrespectful buffoons.
I often see stup1d commercials (Kia or Hyundai) telling me on youtube that my Tesla has no fast charging, no standard drivers assists, and bad warranty. It doesn't really help to instill trust in that Korean company. But it clearly aimed at Kia/Hyundai shoppers. I am not very bright, but those shoppers should be pretty dumb even compared to me.

Have you sat in the newer ones? The EV6 has better materials and build quality than my Tesla and much quieter too. My Hondas feel cheaper than the Kia.
I should probably see EV6 closer. I spent an hour in the Ioniq 5, and it is made cheaply of cheap materials compared to Teslas and Hondas that I own. Software is "flashy" (as in most Korean cars), it's not too bad actually, but to get options that we enjoy standard in Tesla (and in Honda!) you need to pay big extra premium for moving to higher trims. I was positively SUPER surprised by the 30k Accord "Sport" we got a few months ago that it can keep pretty well in a highway lane. I didn't test it myself for too long, but in simple driving its behavior was very similar to our Teslas AP (unlike Toyota's junk lane keep assist). In Hyundai, I'd have to go to higher trims for that.

I should probably see EV6 closer. I spent an hour in the Ioniq 5, and it is made cheaply of cheap materials compared to Teslas and Hondas that I own. Software is "flashy" (as in most Korean cars), it's not too bad actually, but to get options that we enjoy standard in Tesla (and in Honda!) you need to pay big extra premium for moving to higher trims. I was positively SUPER surprised by the 30k Accord "Sport" we got a few months ago that it can keep pretty well in a highway lane. I didn't test it myself for too long, but in simple driving its behavior was very similar to our Teslas AP (unlike Toyota's junk lane keep assist). In Hyundai, I'd have to go to higher trims for that.

I thought the Kia had a nicer interior than the Ioniq 5. You should check it out...its not Mercedes level nice but still felt premium. The lane assist in the EV6 is pretty good. I like AP better but i've done long trips in the EV6 and it did the job well. You are right in that you do have to go to higher trims to get the nicer stuff but Tesla is the only manufacturer that doesn't really do trims.

Who the hell makes a father drive all the way back home for a $2 binky for the baby, only to tell the dutiful and incurious courier that the baby likes the color he didn't fetch?

The buffoon's response? He mindlessly gets in the car to fetch the blue binky. No thoughts in his head at all.

Are Kia buyers so dumb that they wouldn't just buy the preferred blue binky at a drug store for a couple bucks where they're at? It's a binky, not a critical life-support device, and they're so cheap. Why do they own a binky the baby rejects? If the baby prefers blue they could just buy a blue one locally.

Also, why is the guy so dumb that he doesn't speak up with this idea and why does the wife not impart this critical info before she wastes his time like this? Now she's alone with the baby in some sufficiently distant location because she has no respect for his time, their trip, timeline, efficiency...or her husband.

Now imagine the wife was the one having to fetch a cheap drugstore binky from home, twice, because the guy couldnt be bothered to impart critical info. It would hit differently.

Kia is taking the easy trope of making the husband the stooge. Who exactly are they trying to appeal to here? To me this is pure trending political/ideological virtue-signaling and it's a dangerous game. Just ask Gillette.

Kia thinks that wasting someone's time with comical and lazy inefficiency is...clever. This is how they're trying to sell EVs to Americans? This was their best effort?

Advertising is one thing, but done badly it can also be repellant.
I don't own or watch TV. My Kia doesn't have a TV in it, either. Dunno what to tell you.

Reactions: EVer Hopeful
I often see stup1d commercials (Kia or Hyundai) telling me on youtube that my Tesla has no fast charging, no standard drivers assists, and bad warranty. It doesn't really help to instill trust in that Korean company. But it clearly aimed at Kia/Hyundai shoppers. I am not very bright, but those shoppers should be pretty dumb even compared to me.
I purchased based on track comparisons, suspension setup, interior, battery architecture, interior dB, charging speed, stuff like that.

I can't imagine what you think of Tesla at that rate.

I purchased based on track comparisons, suspension setup, interior, battery architecture, interior dB, charging speed, stuff like that.
These are all very interesting and important comparison values. If track and suspension are number 1 and 2 parameters for you, I'm sure you just couldn't wait for the Model 3 Performance at the time you made your choice.

Also, on charging speed. How easy is it to travel in the EV6 now? Does the car send you to a working fast charger (>=150kW) automatically 99% of times on your trips?

These are all very interesting and important comparison values. If track and suspension are number 1 and 2 parameters for you, I'm sure you just couldn't wait for the Model 3 Performance at the time you made your choice.

Also, on charging speed. How easy is it to travel in the EV6 now? Does the car send you to a working fast charger (>=150kW) automatically 99% of times on your trips?
So far, Ive had no issues with charging and trips. Usually 20 min or less at the charger.

M3P is not competitive when it comes to cooling, brakes, and handling. Its 0-60 is the only thing it has parity with the GT on. I once saw a head to head with a 9114S, GT, and M3P. The 911 and GT turned similar lap times, while the M3P was about 5 seconds slower off the @1:99 set by the other two. Then you must consider the braking and cooling, where the GT definitely has a lead.

Found On Road Dead, FORD
I've own them, but there and done that. No way.
Ford has the highest non OTA recalls of any auto manufacturer by far, Bad engineering. Def Tesla wins as their only stat is a lot of OTA recalls.
Also, Ford is new with EVs and not with my money. Tesla has had 15 years to perfect EVs and not satisficed and keeps being industry leading.
The entire industry is copying Tesla's engineering, software, ecosystem, no dealers, everything.
One more, watch youtube Munro Live review of MachE engineering...not good

1. Ford: 67 recalls, 8,636,265 units
  2. Volkswagen Group: 45 recalls, 1,040,885 units
  3. Fiat-Chrysler/Stellantis: 38 recalls, 3,041,431 units
  4. Mercedes-Benz: 33 recalls, 969,993 units
  5. General Motors: 32 recalls, 3,371,302 units
  6. Kia: 24 recalls, 1,458,962 units
  7. Hyundai: 22 recalls, 1,452,101 units