Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car likely totaled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
USAA is great, when my last M3P got hit, they more than made it right even when the other guy's coverage wasn't sufficient.

Insurance companies are measured by how well they handle a claim, not by how cheap they are. USAA is worth every penny plus some.
Settled today with USAA so the money should hit my account this week. The whole process was good and they were very reasonable IMO. Wife told me to just get another model 3 so I’m gonna do that.

Basically just deciding between the following:

Option 1: 2022 M3P in Midnight Silver Metallic. No FSD. Swap out Uberturbines for T Sportline 20” TS5 in Satin Gray. Then I want to do tint and a carbon fiber dash cap because I don’t like the wood look. Purchase will be about $70k all in to get it how I want it after taxes and upgrades.

Option 2: 2020 M3P in White. Tint, carbon fiber dash, and FSD are included. I like the rims already so no need to swap. ~20k miles and 25 months remaining in the warranty. It’ll cost me $62k all in with taxes and fees.

I wasn’t a big FSD user on my old car. I liked the green light notification and summon but regular autopilot does what I need. I would enjoy the heated steering wheel on the 2022. Don’t really care about the auto trunk. Heat pump is nice in the winter.

So it is pretty much down to if I want to wait 3-5 months or not and if I’d rather pay $8k more for the brand new car vs a slightly older one with FSD, tint, and cool rims. Thoughts?

Settled today with USAA so the money should hit my account this week. The whole process was good and they were very reasonable IMO. Wife told me to just get another model 3 so I’m gonna do that.

Basically just deciding between the following:

Option 1: 2022 M3P in Midnight Silver Metallic. No FSD. Swap out Uberturbines for T Sportline 20” TS5 in Satin Gray. Then I want to do tint and a carbon fiber dash cap because I don’t like the wood look. Purchase will be about $70k all in to get it how I want it after taxes and upgrades.

Option 2: 2020 M3P in White. Tint, carbon fiber dash, and FSD are included. I like the rims already so no need to swap. ~20k miles and 25 months remaining in the warranty. It’ll cost me $62k all in with taxes and fees.

I wasn’t a big FSD user on my old car. I liked the green light notification and summon but regular autopilot does what I need. I would enjoy the heated steering wheel on the 2022. Don’t really care about the auto trunk. Heat pump is nice in the winter.

So it is pretty much down to if I want to wait 3-5 months or not and if I’d rather pay $8k more for the brand new car vs a slightly older one with FSD, tint, and cool rims. Thoughts?

It's a personal opinion, but I'd get the 2022 because of the warranty and range. The 2020 has already lost a bit of range I'm sure.

Reactions: BigNick
In option 1, you can sell the uberturbines to off set the new wheels. Also, the wait for a M3P appears to be a much shorter window than your estimate. Biggest question, do you have another vehicle to use if choosing option 1? If not, option 2 has a superior “time value” that offsets waiting.

I would be tempted to try something different like the EV6 or the Ioniq 5
I’m gonna pretend I didn’t read this. That would be like seeing Shakira at the bar and then chatting up Rosie O’Donnell instead because you didn’t want to pay for the top shelf tequila. 😂

All jokes aside. There have been two cars I have loved in my life. My 350whp 2002 Subaru WRX wagon (which I sold when I had a kid) and my 2018 model 3 performance. I had a 2015 Nissan Leaf, and it was a fine car, but it didn’t bring a smile to my face every time I looked at it or make me giggle at every stoplight. If I have to put off retirement 9 months in 2045 because I didn’t take the $20k difference between an M3P and an EV6 and stick it in my IRA so be it…

In option 1, you can sell the uberturbines to off set the new wheels. Also, the wait for a M3P appears to be a much shorter window than your estimate. Biggest question, do you have another vehicle to use if choosing option 1? If not, option 2 has a superior “time value” that offsets waiting.
As luck would have it my parents recently retired and will be taking their RV out west for the months of August, September, and October leaving my moms car unused for that period. So if I can make it to the end of this month I’m good to Halloween. Serendipity perhaps?

Reactions: Aellinsar
As luck would have it my parents recently retired and will be taking their RV out west for the months of August, September, and October leaving my moms car unused for that period. So if I can make it to the end of this month I’m good to Halloween. Serendipity perhaps?
Choices. I'd roll the dice, get a new one on order if it were me. Similar price, new car warranty, all new part, several improvements (quite possibly in the parts and components you never read about) and added features + 2 years newer. If it was significantly less for the used one - that might push me to that side.

Choices. I'd roll the dice, get a new one on order if it were me. Similar price, new car warranty, all new part, several improvements (quite possibly in the parts and components you never read about) and added features + 2 years newer. If it was significantly less for the used one - that might push me to that side.
This is also what my wife says. She thinks the extra warranty, heated steering wheel, and getting a brand new car outweigh the $8k savings, already installed goodies, and FSD.

You gotta admit the white is pretty hot looking with the dark sport rims and 30% tint though.

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 9.11.08 AM.png

This is also what my wife says. She thinks the extra warranty, heated steering wheel, and getting a brand new car outweigh the $8k savings, already installed goodies, and FSD.

You gotta admit the white is pretty hot looking with the dark sport rims and 30% tint though.

View attachment 825743
Neither one is a wrong choice (though I'd lean toward the new one), it all depends on which one fits best for you, your budget and time parameters. Blacked out trim on the 21-22 looks super nice on the M3P.

Maybe one day Tesla will add a program for those current owners who's vehicles get totaled (with verification from the insurance company), to put them in front of the line if they want to order a new replacement vehicle. That would be one heck of a loyalty program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
The real thing I wish I knew was if FSD was ever gonna be worth something during the useful lifetime of my vehicle. This crash has made me even more wary of ever buying it outright (since it went away with the car and doesn't follow me to my new one) but having it there already on the used one is a perk. I suppose with the monthly subscription option available now I could just rent it for the month if I ever take a road trip. For my typical kid hauling and day to day driving around town it really does me no good.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
but it didn’t bring a smile to my face every time I looked at it or make me giggle at every stoplight.

This...this is key if you are a car person. If it makes you smile every single time you walk out to your car and go "that's mine" it is worth it. If a car is just transportation for someone, they just don't get the same experience and for them it is not worth the difference. I have known both types, nothing wrong with either, but as for me, I like to have a silly grin half the time when I see my car in the parking lot.

Reactions: bmil03 and Pkmmte
Maybe one day Tesla will add a program for those current owners who's vehicles get totaled (with verification from the insurance company), to put them in front of the line if they want to order a new replacement vehicle. That would be one heck of a loyalty program.
This is an excellent thought...and probably one of those that should be tweeted at Musk. At the very least a definite perk for someone with Tesla's insurance. Excellent suggestion.

View attachment 825743

my opinion is to go with the newest one, delta $ is a lot but since now you can wait, worth it. glad you are ok

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
Any thoughts on whether or not it'll be a total loss (see attached photo)? It seems like some of y'all work in the industry and might have some insight.

I am really unsure what to do if it is a loss. If they give me a good settlement I could get another one but used ones cost a fortune and new ones are $63,000 now which is ridiculous.

Plus my city charges personal property tax on vehicles annually.

Current Tax Rate: $4.00 per $100.00

Tax Relief on first $20,000.00: 50.80%

That makes annual taxes on a $63,000 car an additional $2100 a year on top of the cost of the vehicle itself which makes the Model 3 really expensive to own in my city.

Part of me just wants to get an old 5-speed civic and call it a day. I only drive about 6k miles a year anyways. When I had a 60 mile round trip commute it made more sense but now that my job is remote it is hard to justify the expense of the Model 3.
In my experience there are a few factors that directly affect if your vehicle totals:
-First, if there is significant hidden damage behind the bumper and hood. This hit looks high so it could have missed the front rails. Once a certified body shop tears it down and blueprints the vehicle they will be able to tell you/ insurance company.
-Second, and this is the most important in my experience, is if your insurance is ready/willing to cover the cost of repairs. It depends which company you have and the rates they are willing to pay to fix Tesla.
-Third being the value of your car. 2018s hold their value very well. In my experience (Blue Printer/ Repair Technician for a Tesla Certified Body Shop) we have fixed worse front end hits in the past, and we rarely ever total Teslas. Thr only exception is if the insurance company doesn't want to pay our rates or the vehicle is really really messed up.

Just my 2 cents. Hard to be certain until the car is fully disassembled and inspected.
Sorry for your accident! Hope you're doing alright.