Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't wake from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, if it’s any help to folks trying to figure out logically what could be the route cause - my LR works fine

Car built early July 2020
software 2020.36.10
Maps 2019.20
iPhone Tesla app 3.10.8
iOS 13.4.1 on iPhone 8
3rd Party API-connected apps : None, never tried any 3rd party connections
Sentry Mode : Off
Being charged : Yes and No, makes no difference
Charger type : Commando wall socket
WiFi or LTE connected for wake up : LTE
Phone Key configured : No

Does anyone know if the car uses one UK mobile network or does it roam? If it roams it could be down to which network its on?
I belive devices have to constantly ping the network so it knows they are there. If something has changed and the mobile network is not responding to the cars network keep alive requests that would do it?

Ok, if it’s any help to folks trying to figure out logically what could be the route cause - my LR works fine

Car built early July 2020
software 2020.36.10
Maps 2019.20
iPhone Tesla app 3.10.8
iOS 13.4.1 on iPhone 8
3rd Party API-connected apps : None, never tried any 3rd party connections
Sentry Mode : Off
Being charged : Yes and No, makes no difference
Charger type : Commando wall socket
WiFi or LTE connected for wake up : LTE
Phone Key configured : No

The diference here is IOS 13. My up refused to wake up the car from the moment I went to IOS 14 - it was fine that morning, went to IOS 14, the next morning it wouldn't wake the car up.

Does anyone know if the car uses one UK mobile network or does it roam? If it roams it could be down to which network its on?
I belive devices have to constantly ping the network so it knows they are there. If something has changed and the mobile network is not responding to the cars network keep alive requests that would do it?

Nope. All on wireless at my house, so it's not the mobile network.

Since updating to iOS 14 two days ago I have lost the ability to wake up the car - I assumed it’s something Apple have broken with their new “enhanced privacy controls”.

So far every other app has re requested access to everything on the phone but Tesla’s hasn’t - so I’m assuming at least in my case it’s iOS 14 that’s screwed the app up.

It is unlocking though if I go near it and press the handle. and waking up so your issues may be different although occasionally it takes a few seconds for the screen to come on and be able to enter pin to drive.

Just had a look at Teslamate and something really odd happened last night, the car went offline for several hours. We don't get a mobile signal here, so the car seems to stay connected to WiFi. I have an outdoor AP near the car that it connects to, to make sure it always gets a decent WiFi signal. This is the Teslamate state graph from yesterday afternoon until a few minutes ago:

Teslamate data.jpg

I've never seen that orange offline bar before, it seems to be something new. The car has also been online for a total of three hours since late yesterday afternoon, which isn't at all normal. Normally the car goes to sleep, but stays online, around ten to fifteen minutes after being locked. For some reason it seems to have woken up around 17:00 yesterday, then gone offline for some unknown reason, stayed offline until around 02:00, then stayed awake for a bit over 2 hours, before going to sleep. It's still not waking up from the app, either.

Do you know that your car is actually asleep to be woken. Are you using sentry mode?

One person I recall saying that they are having the problem whilst using sentry when you would expect the car to be awake. But thats the only one I have seen when someone specifically mentioned sentry. One swallow doesn't make a summer etc.

I'm going to turn on sentry and see if that makes a difference as it shouldn't allow the car to sleep. I'm looking at my USB media that is normally plugged in but I removed yesterday to test something. Hopefully sentry on does not require that to stay awake.

That would at least give a workaround for people needing it for charging etc.
Yes my car is almost always asleep when I use the app (..says 'waking up'). Usually there are several hours between usage.

No I don't use Sentry

Also, the car has only been losing about 1% overnight consistently since I got it in April (not plugged in or charging) - last night 89% @ 11pm, 88% @ 9am & awoke within about 10 seconds from checking the app.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Since updating to iOS 14 two days ago I have lost the ability to wake up the car - I assumed it’s something Apple have broken with their new “enhanced privacy controls”.

So far every other app has re requested access to everything on the phone but Tesla’s hasn’t - so I’m assuming at least in my case it’s iOS 14 that’s screwed the app up.

It is unlocking though if I go near it and press the handle. and waking up so your issues may be different although occasionally it takes a few seconds for the screen to come on and be able to enter pin to drive.
I'm using Android and have not upgraded it for a long time. Teslafi also fails to wake the car.

Maybe it's SIM and carrier related then. Might explain why it's only affecting some regions (but then again, not everyone seems to have the problem...).
possibly
or they identified a vulnerability too given sms
no bug would last this long backend as easy to roll back changes

roams as it's solid state iirc

It's been mentioned a few times here, but it seems clear that it's nothing to do with any mobile operating system, as this same failure to wake up has been positively confirmed with several flavours of iOS, Android and also TeslaFi.

It doesn't seem to be mobile network related, as we don't get a mobile signal here, the car always used to wake up from the app on either Android or iOS, and now it doesn't. Starting last night, it seems the car is also dropping the WiFi connection and going offline for long periods, not something I've ever seen before here, as there's a good WiFi signal where the car is, and the outdoor AP that it connects to is still up and running as normal (confirmed by me going out and connecting an iPad to it to check).

All the evidence points towards something internal within Tesla's systems that isn't handling the wake up request from the app as it used to. Quite what this may be is a mystery, but it doesn't seem related to the software revision the car is running, so most probably isn't something at the car end of the link, I think.

I'm going to turn on sentry and see if that makes a difference as it shouldn't allow the car to sleep. I'm looking at my USB media that is normally plugged in but I removed yesterday to test something. Hopefully sentry on does not require that to stay awake.

That would at least give a workaround for people needing it for charging etc.

Far from conclusive, but app opened instantly when I would have expected it to struggle.

Makes sense though as you would expect sentry not to allow car to sleep.

I'll try again later.

I can confirm that the same happened when I was playing around yesterday. I tried unmounting and removing the USB SSD, as someone suggested that might be a cause (it didn't seem to be) and when I put the drive back in I activated sentry. As expected, the car stayed awake and the app connected just fine. I turned sentry off again, locked the car and it took about an hour to go back to sleep, rather than the ten to fifteen minutes it usually does. Once asleep the app wouldn't wake the car again. I did check when doing this to see if something had changed, and the car was getting an LTE signal, and as usual it wasn't, just a good WiFi connection.

Is it possible this is something to do with the API issue some people had last week with 3rd party apps - ie could the app developers have changed something in their software that may be causing this?

As I don 't use those 3rd party apps, am on 36.10 & iOS14 & don't have any problem with the car waking maybe there is a link?

Is it possible this is something to do with the API issue some people had last week with 3rd party apps - ie could the app developers have changed something in their software that may be causing this?

As I don 't use those 3rd party apps, am on 36.10 & iOS14 & don't have any problem with the car waking maybe there is a link?

I have never used other apps/software accessing API either ... but I do have the waking problem.

I, too, had wondered if there was a link between this problem and Tesla shutting down access from cloud service providers.

What we know for sure is that Tesla blocked access to the cloud services that were being used by TeslaFi and a few other unofficial apps. We also know that they didn't block access from individuals using software like Teslamate, which they could have done very easily, as every Teslamate connection advertises itself, I believe, so Tesla could have chosen to block every stand alone (i.e. running on a RPi or similar) instance of Teslamate accessing their API had they wished to.

What we don't know is why Tesla decided to do this. Some have speculated that Tesla's services may have been seeing too much traffic, but given that it seems that TeslaFi, and, perhaps others, have switched servers and have been back up and running for a while this doesn't seem that likely. As with Teslamate, TeslaFi and others will advertise themselves to the Tesla servers, so Tesla could block them if it wished. Some have speculated that this was preparatory work prior to the rollout of 2FA. This seems more rumour than fact, as I don't think there's yet been confirmation of the future use of 2FA (although I'd expect Tesla to switch to is before long). Some have speculated that the blocking of cloud service providers was due to a DDoS attack, but if so, then it would have been a pretty amateur one to try and use cloud service providers.

It seems that Tesla software QA isn't exactly wonderful, as it's far from unusual to have software rolled out that is very quickly found to have major flaws. For example, a nav update was rolled out a few weeks ago, tens of thousands of cars downloaded GB of data, only for that update to be rolled back within 24 hours. Software testing is clearly limited, almost to the point of being apparently non-existent at times. For example, the failure within the charging control software that resulted in the car failing to wake up and charge when it received a state change on the Control Pilot, a non-compliance with IEC61851 that meant that several charge point manufacturers had to produce work arounds, using the unofficial API to wake the car.

There is a theme developing here, though, around waking the car and the unofficial use of the API both to overcome Tesla software failings and to get useful data for owners. Might just be coincidence, but it does seem slightly suspicious that waking the car up seems to be at the heart of some issues over the past couple of years.

If it isn’t the mobile network, why is it limited to the U.K.?

Good question, but my car doesn't connect to any mobile network where it's parked, never has done as far as I know, as there's no signal here. I believe someone else has also made the same observation.

Something changed on or around last Wednesday night, as far as I can tell, that stopped the car waking from the app.

Putting that into perspective, I've often found that the car has been slow to wake from the app in the past, but I've always just put that down to the age of the old Sony tablet that's stuck on my office wall and dedicated to controlling the car, now. Sometimes that's had the "waking up" thing time out, and I've needed to tap the refresh area on the "waking up" box at the bottom of the screen. It's never failed to wake the car up before, though, it's just sometimes been a bit slow. The first time it failed completely was on Thursday morning. When that happened I turned my phone on (an iPhone running iOS 13.7) and that also failed to wake the car up. Later on Thursday afternoon, when out and about around 70 miles away from home, with a good phone signal, the car also failed to wake from the app.

That suggests that something unrelated to the phone operating system, or LTE connectivity, seems to have changed around that time.

I'm just updating my phone to iOS 14, so will see if that changes anything (I don't expect it will make a jot of difference)