Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adding to the poll for a friend since it may be an exception:
"Not installed" 2021 M3LR Mfr 08/21 delivered November 2021 (inventory car)

Thanks. Since it was an inventory car and the time between production and delivery was probably longer than normal, I would enter it as either a September or October car.* Either way (or even as August car), not an exception. since after June 2021 the Model 3 apparently lost its CCS capability. (Missing chip? 😟)
______
* I can relate. My Model X was also an inventory car. Made in Fremont in December 2020, shipped to Hawaii, but delivered back to me in California (with only 15 miles on the odometer) in March 2021. (Something about three previous Haole owners killed by lava under mysterious circumstances? An Island curse of some kind? I never got the full story.)

(Just kidding, but see Pele's Curse. I sent money and "Lulu" came from the Islands to live on the dash, look after the car, and help appease the spirits, just to be on the safe side.)

IMG_2209.JPG

Last edited:
CCS: not installed

9/21 MFG
9/23/21 Delivery
M3LR
I paid $1000 more for my vehicle and did not get the right module. My friend got his in March and CCS is installed.

What are the chances of getting a free retrofit like the USBC ports? I'm not holding my breath and not interested in paying $300 to get something I should have already had installed and paid for with these price increases.

What are the chances of getting a free retrofit like the USBC ports? I'm not holding my breath and not interested in paying $300 to get something I should have already had installed and paid for with these price increases.
My guess would be that there is zero chance of a free retrofit as you aren't missing an advertised feature. (Though they sort of advertised it on Twitter on 10/18/2021, but only as coming "soon.")

You purchased before that so you can't use that as a reason...

My guess would be that there is zero chance of a free retrofit as you aren't missing an advertised feature. (Though they sort of advertised it on Twitter on 10/18/2021, but only as coming "soon.")

You purchased before that so you can't use that as a reason...
Yep, hard pass for me. Unless my ECU were to fail under warranty. Yeah, you never know, sometimes these older gen modules just go boom.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Yep, hard pass for me. Unless my ECU were to fail under warranty.
I would sure have been happy to not have to spend much of my evening to fill the car from the Free Electrify America chargers using 50kWs if 150kW (or better) was available to me. Sign me up. It only took about 6 months to pay off the CHAdeMO charger (the wife's mom was on her deathbed so we were regularly visiting) and have had it for almost 3 years now. That's a lot of gravy, ready to invest in faster charging.

Reactions: cwerdna
I would sure have been happy to not have to spend much of my evening to fill the car from the Free Electrify America chargers using 50kWs if 150kW (or better) was available to me. Sign me up. It only took about 6 months to pay off the CHAdeMO charger (the wife's mom was on her deathbed so we were regularly visiting) and have had it for almost 3 years now. That's a lot of gravy, ready to invest in faster charging.
At least you can sell your CHAdeMO adapter for what you paid, maybe even a little more.

Good news, the CCS adapter for North American Teslas should start shipping before Xmas

Because...Using Murphy's Law. As my friend suggested, I am taking one for the team.

At least you can sell your CHAdeMO adapter for what you paid, maybe even a little more.

Yes, after a year I was able to sell my unused CHAdeMO adapter for the full amount I paid. But unfortunately, my premature sale (in anticipation of the supposed imminent release of a Tesla CCS1 adapter) nullified Randy's original (superstitious) attempt to hurry the promised Tesla CCS1 adapter release. :)

my premature sale (in anticipation of the supposed imminent release of a Tesla CCS1 adapter) nullified Randy's original (superstitious) attempt to hurry the promised Tesla CCS1 adapter release. :)
All that effort, wasted (except I have had buckets of free power from various CHAdeMO stations over the years). Hard to believe my words from so long ago are still haunting me, and others. Really hard to believe there STILL isn't a CCS1 adapter.

Murphy's Law is NOT superstition, it's my religion. How could it be a superstition if it's got the word LAW right in it.

Latest data for Models Y and 3.

4 - CCS1 Compatibility - 1-1-22.jpg

Preliminary observations and questions:
  • So Model 3 carried the "not enabled" status into 2020 (whereas Model Y was already coming from the factory CCS-enabled)?

• And for Model 3 the first point of No-to-Yes came around June 2020? Did the Model 3 version make any difference as far as CCS compatibility? (Probably not.) I'd be interested to hear from more owners with Model 3 produced around June 2020.

• And for the period July to October 2021, was that when there was some sort of chip shortage?

• At this point I think it is safe to assume that all Model 3 cars from 2018 and 2019 came without CCS enabled, correct? If so I recommend that folks with these earlier cars only report if CCS came enabled from the factory. (And I hope that Tesla will offer you an affordable retrofit to enable CCS usage. That was done for Models S and X in Europe, but not for Models 3 and Y, insofar as I know.)

Last edited:
Latest data for Models Y and 3.

For two Model 3s from June 2020: assuming the two data points are correct, was this discrepancy because the different versions of the Model 3 could come with different internal electronic hardware?

So the period July to October 2021 was when there was some sort of chip shortage, is that right?

At this point I think it is safe to assume that all Model 3 cars from 2019 and earlier came without CCS enabled, correct? If so I recommend that folks with these earlier cars only report if CCS came enabled from the factory. (And I hope that Tesla will offer an affordable retrofit to enable CCS usage.)

I am interested to hear from more owners with Model 3 from June 2020. Perhaps include the version, also.
It the March 2020 Model 3 data point was from me, then it's Not Installed. Incorrect on your chart.