Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could somebody tell me how to get to the screen that shows whether or not my refresh Model S has CCS adapter support enabled? I can't seem to find it.

You're looking for this. You find it by going to "Car Settings -> Software -> Additional Vehicle Information". I have a Model Y but I think the menu locations are the same.

If it says "Enabled", you have the updated Charge Port ECU and you can just buy the adapter from Tesla when it comes out. If it shows "not installed", you'll need to get the newer Charge Port ECU retrofitted onto your car.

1647146556575.png

Has anyone heard any info about the ECU retrofit for CCS adapter support? Cost? What's involved in the work to replace, etc.? Is it even possible yet?
  • not available yet, but it appeared (as non-orderable) in the parts catalog.
  • thus, no cost known yet.
  • it involves pulling the trunk lining back a bit around the charge port area, to access the ECU.
  • it's possible to do today, just not exactly in the way Tesla is likely to be doing it in the indeterminate future.
For those that are tired of waiting for the indeterminate future, and want it now, the thread you're looking for is here: Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach 😄

Reactions: theothertom
Once the analog signaling mode state machine is placed into digital mode my impression is that only digital communications continue and the analog signaling becomes quiescent until the digital mode is ended and it reverts to analog again.
While I'll admit I haven't indulged in the brain-melting task of reading the spec either (I believe specs are meant for speed-reading, ha - until you begin to implement the details, then dig into it in detail), but I have implemented CCS at a high level via a "modem" device. In that, and other experience toying with 15118 over AC, it seems that the digital just exists as a secondary channel over the analog - the analog takes precedence for what it's there for (dumb, hard logic of go/no-go), and the digital is there for nuance (how to go/not go). So, both still coexist - the analog PWM and resistance feedback is there for "1000-feet view" of charging state, and the digital is there for the 10-foot view.

That is to say, while charging, the station still signals 6%-ish PWM to say "digital communication, and ready to charge", and the car still pulls the +12v side down to +6v if it's meaning to say "I'd like some of that charging, please", and releases it to +9v when it wants to indicate "I'm done/don't want". But at the same time, both of these same things are also being echoed in the digital data. In effect, same as AC J1772 (just with different PWM duty) in that regard, but with all the digital nuance taking place in the RF "noise" all around it.

I dunno, it's kinda like you're listening to an old school tube AM radio and that AM radio somehow had an HDMI port attached to it for VR goggles, or something. That's what this weird setup feels like to me, but hey, uh... at least the VR works, most of the time?

CCS retrofit kit appears in Parts Catalog...

Yes, all signs are pointing to the official CCS1 combo adapter to be coming out soon(ish)...

I peruse the Tesla Charging accessories website page every so often, and there has been this (imagined) tantalizing empty space just sitting there, teasing me. Is it a placeholder, perhaps?

Tesla On-the-Road Charging Accessories

Probably not, but...

Could be, who knows?

There's somethin' due any day.
I will know right away, soon as it shows.

It may come cannonballin' down through the sky
Gleam in its eye, bright as a rose.

Who knows?

It's only just out of reach.
Down the block, on a beach, under a tree.

I got a feelin' there's a miracle due.
Gonna come true, comin' to me.

Could it be? Yes, it could
Somethin's comin', somethin' good, if I can wait.
Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is
But it is...gonna be great.

With a click, with a shock.
Phone'll jingle, door'll knock, open the latch.
Somethin's comin', don't know when.
But it's soon, catch the moon, one-handed catch.

Around the corner.
Or whistlin' down the river.
Come on, deliver...to me.

Will it be? Yes, it will.
Maybe just by holdin' still, it'll be there.

Come on, somethin', come on in, don't be shy.
Meet a guy, pull up a chair.

The air is hummin'.
And somethin' great is comin'.

Who knows? It's only just out of reach.
Down the block, on a beach, maybe tonight.

Maybe tonight; maybe tonight.

("Something's Coming" Words and music by
Stephen Sondheim and Leonard Bernstein)

Something's Coming

Reactions: FalconFour
  • not available yet, but it appeared (as non-orderable) in the parts catalog.
  • thus, no cost known yet.
  • it involves pulling the trunk lining back a bit around the charge port area, to access the ECU.
  • it's possible to do today, just not exactly in the way Tesla is likely to be doing it in the indeterminate future.
For those that are tired of waiting for the indeterminate future, and want it now, the thread you're looking for is here: Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach 😄
Interesting; Thanks. I suppose this is NOT the "chargeport". I had the actual socket unit replaced a year ago because the pod bay door started to balk at opening or closing, to the point where often it needed manual assist. And my car still says "not installed".

The other thing I've wondered is whether with the CCS update I could take my car to Europe with Ro-ro shipping and get a similar adapter for the the European pin arrangement of CCS?

Interesting; Thanks. I suppose this is NOT the "chargeport". I had the actual socket unit replaced a year ago because the pod bay door started to balk at opening or closing, to the point where often it needed manual assist. And my car still says "not installed".

The other thing I've wondered is whether with the CCS update I could take my car to Europe with Ro-ro shipping and get a similar adapter for the the European pin arrangement of CCS?
In theory that should be possible. As far as I'm aware CCS1 and CCS2 are electrically identical, so the car shouldn't know any better.

Right, it's got nothing to do with the charge port itself, aside from compatibility. My 2018 LR/RWD Model 3 has the original charge port (actually seems to be fairly uncommon, and frequently replaced), and I juggled a lot of parts research to come to a solution of making my port "look like" a new Gen4 port. The Gen4 port, though, is fundamentally incompatible with the older cars - the way it connects to the battery is different. However, to get CCS compatibility, all that needs to change is the ECU. Nothing new or different about the external port - just the crazy details on the inside that few people see or care about ;)

As for EU, hmm. Can be complicated. May work, can't guarantee - but adapters do exist, from our friendly Ukranian shopowner @AlexUA - Tesla US CCS1/CCS2 (400A) - which will hopefully be back in service at the end of the month (whether Putin agrees or not ✊🇺🇦).

Now that I think about it, I just lost my J1772 adapter so I bought a new one. They just cut the price to $50 from $100 -- bad news for all the clones priced at more than $50. However, I wonder if the CCS1 adapter will also function as a J1772 adapter? It seems like it could, though of course it is a bulky thing to use for that purpose. Not that I wanted to be without the J1772 but in future you might be able to carry only the one.

I wonder if the CCS1 adapter will also function as a J1772 adapter?
Nope. Good reasons not to be: the Tesla port shares AC with DC charging. And the adapter passes those pins straight through. So if that were done, the exposed DC pins would be an immediate shock hazard while AC charging (they'd expose the two AC lines directly). Not a problem for DC charging (CCS stations don't even have AC pins present, normally), but AC would be a big problem. Thus there will always be two adapters - one for AC and one for DC.

I just lost my J1772 adapter so I bought a new one. They just cut the price to $50 from $100 -- bad news for all the clones priced at more than $50.
Wow, that's a huge drop in price. I guess they finally recouped all their sunk costs on this item. I'm pretty amazed that they're dropping prices on things like this and the Tesla Wall Connector when prices on everything is going up in general. But to Tesla's credit, they've generally always always had reasonable prices on charging accessories.

Wow, that's a huge drop in price. I guess they finally recouped all their sunk costs on this item. I'm pretty amazed that they're dropping prices on things like this and the Tesla Wall Connector when prices on everything is going up in general. But to Tesla's credit, they've generally always always had reasonable prices on charging accessories.
It has been that way for around 4 months now. See my thread below.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
It has been that way for around 4 months now. See my thread below.

4 months ago? Yet the aftermarket units are all still trying to sell for well over $50. Since nobody would pay more for an aftermarket when the official part is cheaper, I wonder if they are just selling to suckers who don't look? Perhaps the made them in small enough volumes that they can't match Tesla's price. I guess that would be true of the AC pins so they probably are not connected as you say.

Reactions: FalconFour
4 months ago? Yet the aftermarket units are all still trying to sell for well over $50. Since nobody would pay more for an aftermarket when the official part is cheaper, I wonder if they are just selling to suckers who don't look? Perhaps the made them in small enough volumes that they can't match Tesla's price. I guess that would be true of the AC pins so they probably are not connected as you say.
People attempt to sell the OEM official part sell or clones of it for much more on eBay than you can purchase it new directly from Tesla for example:

People attempt to sell the OEM official part sell or clones of it for much more on eBay than you can purchase it new directly from Tesla for example:
can we all just take a moment to laugh at that listing real quick

1647300027111.png

1647299880745.png

"Are you tired of mashing your J1772 charging handle into an obviously-not-fitting Tesla port impotently? Did you lose your Tesla adapter and didn't think to ask Tesla for a replacement? Are you tired of being a complete f*ck-up at everything you do? Buy our knockoff Tesla adapter!"

I have to admit, when I lost mine I was thinking of getting one of the knock-offs which have been seen close to $50 and I might have been fooled. It's just copper and plastic. But on doing a google search the Tesla official one showed up and I learned the new price. Most people don't shop for these until you lose one. Some people buy them if they have a J1772 charger in their house and want to leave the adapter on it and keep another in the car. At some point Tesla might end up putting both a Tesla connector and a CCS/J1772 in the charging dock. Of course in Europe they just gave up on the superior Tesla connector because the legal regime and other factors pushed to CCS2.

Has anyone compared the EVHub CCS1 Adapter to the one sold by Lectron?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Has anyone compared the EVHub CCS1 Adapter to the one sold by Lectron?

The evhub adapter is 100% passthru. The lectron is just the setec adapter that emulates the chademo protocol and is limited in how much power it can deliver.