Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My css1 adapter arrived 3 days early. Amazing how fast DHL ships from South Korea. Reached me in 2.5 working days. Took about 9 working days for Harumio to receive adapter from Tesla Korea (or wherever they get it).
I tried it at a 150kwh electrify America when my battery was already at 40% SOC. Recharge rate was 98-105kwh. The electrify America is a few blocks from my house which can come in handy if electricity is off at the house or if wife is using our 48Amp EVSE and I need to juice up the model Y quickly.

My css1 adapter arrived 3 days early. Amazing how fast DHL ships from South Korea. Reached me in 2.5 working days. Took about 9 working days for Harumio to receive adapter from Tesla Korea (or wherever they get it).
I tried it at a 150kwh electrify America when my battery was already at 40% SOC. Recharge rate was 98-105kwh. The electrify America is a few blocks from my house which can come in handy if electricity is off at the house or if wife is using our 48Amp EVSE and I need to juice up the model Y quickly.
This really is a great option (I am not sponsored - I learned about this option here on the forum) as the price is great, it is available, made by/for Tesla and comes quickly. Who knows when it will launch in North America and this just gives a whole second set of options.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
I just used up my 2k miles free supercharging. Seeing the recent rate increase, I decided to buy the adapter from Korean. With so many super chargers around, it is not a necessity here in California except for the electricity price difference, so I chose the cheapest route ;). I placed an order last Thursday night on shop.tesla with a Delivered Korean address. It arrived last night and I used the cheapest shipping option from Delivered Korean. For some reason I had $2 DK points so the shipping only cost me 28.84. The adapter cost me 236.41 (no foreign currency exchange fee from my CC). Total cost 265.25, a good chance it’s cheaper than whenever Tesla releases it in NA, if ever. Fingers crossed that it arrives in one piece.

So what is the current consensus on whether vehicles who don’t show CCS enabled will be able to use this adapter, or not. I assume CCS being enabled is just a software switch from Tesla?
No, if it isn't enabled that means that the vehicle doesn't have the necessary hardware. (Which can either be really easy, or not as easy depending on when the car was built.)

Once CCS is officially supported Tesla will likely have retrofit kits available for all of the various configurations.

No, if it isn't enabled that means that the vehicle doesn't have the necessary hardware. (Which can either be really easy, or not as easy depending on when the car was built.)

Once CCS is officially supported Tesla will likely have retrofit kits available for all of the various configurations.

Wow, that’s weird. The cars built a month before me have it, and I don’t……that seems…..odd. But ok, thanks.

Reactions: jsight
Wow, that’s weird. The cars built a month before me have it, and I don’t……that seems…..odd. But ok, thanks.
There were apparently some kind of intermittent chip shortages with the ECU that has the hardware to "speak" CCS, so there's several periods where they were not installing the most current ECU in order to keep shipping cars. After all, it only cost a feature that they weren't advertising yet anyway, so who was being harmed? (Well, you, obviously, who now owns one of these "nerfed" cars.) The good news is if you have a car which came after some of the initial run with the EU, you may be able to do a relatively quick ECU swap if you can get the board, and be able to get the capability activated. @FalconFour has some data about it in the first post of this thread: Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

Yep, there was a period where the CCS support chips weren't available so they installed ECUs without those chips. (It isn't an advertised feature so they wouldn't be required to notify you of the change.)

That would put your car in the easy to retro-fit option. (An easy to replace $140 part.)

If you truly are a Boston Pilot then you might be close enough to give you some pointers. I live in Natick, so if you want to swap the ECU, I can help you.

I had a 2021 that was delivered in September and it was a simple swap to get CCS enabled.

Reactions: Boston_Pilot
Got a late start on a long drive home yesterday and instead of charging at the free 50kw charger across the street I decided to give EA a try with my new adapter. Took a while to get the EA station to work. No battery preconditioning, but was doing about 80mph for 100 miles before charging, temps around 85. Charger maxed out at 191kw. Ended up continuing on after 13 minutes, went from 13% to 54% delivering 34 kwh. Total price $10.54. Overall pretty happy with the adapter!

Attachments

• 279766963_1008768969999154_4286350847196185156_n.jpg
    279766963_1008768969999154_4286350847196185156_n.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 68
  • tesla1.jpg
    tesla1.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 60
  • 280599109_1136323940613805_1291093840367692682_n.jpg
    280599109_1136323940613805_1291093840367692682_n.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 60
Tried my new CCS adapter on my way home from work today. It's a Francis Energy 60 kw charging station. Not quite as easy as the Tesla experience...had to download the app, create an account, and preload $20. But it started charging fairly quickly once I plugged in, and was pleasantly uneventful. I peaked at 58 of the possible 60 kw on this charger. It's nice to be able to add CCS chargers to my Plugshare map now.

Looking forward to all Tesla owners getting the option to use these adapters, because it'll be a boon to charging network providers. I think it could really kick off a market driven expansion of charging stations beyond just the current big players once millions of Teslas are no longer tethered to Superchargers.

PXL_20220526_212601541.jpg

Got the adapter today, and tested it out.

Ordered: Mon, May 16, 2022
Delivered: Thurs, May 26, 2022
10 days from order to delivery

Nothing too exciting to see here for now. Car was at 63% when plugged in and got 91kW delivered to car, from a "150 kW" (350A) station. So likely already throttling due to native charging curve. (IIRC, its ~110 kW @ 50%). Car was preconditioned via navigating to a nearby supercharger.

Took 2 attempts to initiate charging at EA station via EA app. The 1st attempted yielded a "communication error" on the DCFC. In the 2nd attempt, I pushed up on the connector while it was communicating ("initiating charging" displayed), and I let go when I heard the relay clicks on the DCFC. Potentially a bad contact?

Although the e-Golfer next to me was starry eyed when he saw me (in a Tesla) plugging into a CCS 😁

I will soon test out at a "350 kW" (500A) EA station at low SoC.

tdpzBC.jpg

tdpSY5.jpg

Click for high-res charging curve:

Ugh, hate all the Optiwatt ads posted all over the place.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who posted info about ordering from Harumio. I ordered on 5/11, received on 5/23, and tested w. a nearby ChargePoint 62.5 kW charger. No problems, despite the fact I hadn't used the ChargePoint app in nearly 5 years.

This adapter and Colorado's DC fast charging corridors should make it possible to take the scenic route into the San Juans.