Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS adapter for USA available yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AFAIK, Tesla has not announced the availability of a CCS adapter for North America, only for Europe -- and the European one is for use by Model S and Model X (the Model 3 comes with a native CCS plug in Europe). Note that the European CCS is physically different than the North American CCS, as are the European and North American Tesla car-side sockets. Thus, the European CCS adapter would be useless in North America.

There's been speculation that Tesla will eventually release a North American CCS adapter, and some hints from Tesla that it might eventually happen, but nothing even remotely concrete, AFAIK.

• Informative
Reactions: sparkz and tps5352
I would be interested in one, when available. I would like to have another option when Tesla Superchargers are not handy, but I do not want to invest in CHAdeMO. My own working assumption is that in the medium-to-long run, CHAdeMO will be on the way out....

I would be interested in one, when available. I would like to have another option when Tesla Superchargers are not handy, but I do not want to invest in CHAdeMO. My own working assumption is that in the medium-to-long run, CHAdeMO will be on the way out....
I want a CHAdeMO adapter to go with my Betamax player...
Seriously, though, I agree CHAdeMO is on its way out in North America. The new Nissan Ariya is CCS. I can't see any companies expanding the CHAdeMO network just to support existing Leafs.

Ideally, of course, you would not need an adapter of any kind at third-party power charging stations. Given the high proportion of Teslas among electric vehicles, Tesla should be recognized as a standard in its own right and should be widely available even outside of the Tesla Supercharger network.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Ideally, of course, you would not need an adapter of any kind at third-party power charging stations. Given the high proportion of Teslas among electric vehicles, Tesla should be recognized as a standard in its own right and should be widely available even outside of the Tesla Supercharger network.

That would require cooperation from Tesla to have Tesla vehicles support a CCS-type DC charging protocol.
Obviously they can do that since they are doing it in Europe, but will they WANT to do that?

Which new (non-Tesla) electric vehicle market will those CHAdeMO chargers be serving? Unless I am mistaken, the major vehicles to be released over the next couple of years by the likes of GM, Ford, Volkswagen, and Polestar will all be CCS.

And for Tesla, as highlighted by Xebec above, CHAdeMO is limited to 50KW, which does not really cut it anymore. I very much appreciate and support the Tesla Supercharger network but would like better options when it is unavailable.

That would require cooperation from Tesla to have Tesla vehicles support a CCS-type DC charging protocol.
Obviously they can do that since they are doing it in Europe, but will they WANT to do that?

Conversely, would it be possible for the existing non-Tesla charging networks to also include outlets supporting the Tesla charging protocol? Isn't that already possible at a few locations in one of the US networks (don't think it is in Canada though)? My additional point was that, ideally, I would like to have no adapter at all. But if I have to have an adapter, I would prefer CCS.

@Gasaraki Have you used EVgo to charge a Tesla?

Fast Charge your Tesla S/3/X/Y - EVgo

It looks like the ones in LA have an adaptor available to use. The ones in San Francisco have an adaptor sealed in a box on the side that is connected to the station all the time.

None of the EVGo stations near me have anything like it, so I haven't seen in person.
I have used an EVgo that had a standard Tesla CHAdemo adapter cabled to the side of the charger. There are also sites that have the Tesla adapter modified with a longer cable and permanently mounted to the side of the charger.

534112.jpg

519404.jpg