Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS adapter please.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tga, yes, and I knew someone might bring that up, so I should have clarified, but got lazy: I'm speaking of CCS-only chargers. They are presently rare, but correct me if I'm wrong, no new car models are made with Chademo any more. That tells me Chademo is on its way out, at least to the extent of continual coverage.

My fear (simply because Tesla hasn't yet come out with a CCS adapter, something possible to remedy) was somewhat pushed back by government forces in California mandating dual support of Chademo and CCS in many negotiated settlements and maybe in funding standards, but any lower cost non-government controlled installations will be incentivized within a few years to only support whatever is the most current standard in order to reduce cost, and that is no longer Chademo.
The 2017 Leaf, Kia Soul, iMIEV are still using CHAdeMO. The Leaf is pretty much the main seller though (14k sales last year), Kia Soul had less than 2000, and iMIEV less than 200.

The Leaf 2.0 will come out soon, but it is unknown what standard it will use in the USA (it might still be CHAdeMO since they recently introduced a higher power version).

The 2017 Leaf, Kia Soul, iMIEV are still using CHAdeMO. The Leaf is pretty much the main seller though (14k sales last year), Kia Soul had less than 2000, and iMIEV less than 200.

The Leaf 2.0 will come out soon, but it is unknown what standard it will use in the USA (it might still be CHAdeMO since they recently introduced a higher power version).
It's also very likely that future EVs from Kia will switch to CCS like their brand-mate Hyundai has already done. Mitsubishi is essentially irrelevant in the DC charging space right now. Honda has no real EVs at the moment that utilize DC charging in the US but will soon bring out a BEV Clarity model with only about 80 miles of range -- no word yet on CHAdeMO vs CCS. Toyota has no EVs with DC charging in the US and no specific near-term plans in the future.

So, basically, it is only Nissan that is supporting CHAdeMO in the US. Their "brand-mate" Renault is using CCS. How long will they hold out?

Honda has no real EVs at the moment that utilize DC charging in the US but will soon bring out a BEV Clarity model with only about 80 miles of range -- no word yet on CHAdeMO vs CCS.
It's official. Honda announced today at the NY Auto Show that the Clarity BEV will feature CCS rather than CHAdeMO DC charging.

You're never going to see a current generation CCS charger adapter for the Tesla. The new CCS 350kW standard is supposed to come out this year, so there would be no point in making a current CCS adapter.

I can see Tesla possibly making one for the new standard, but that would be, at the very least, a year away, more likely 2 - 3. Don't hold your breath for a CCS adapter any time soon.

Reactions: miimura