Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok newb CCS question. Along with Electrify America app are there others I should download and enroll in for the most options?

It depends on the area of the country you live in. I have the Greenlots app because I travel to the south east where it is common, I have EVGo and ChargePoint because they seem common nation wide... there may be other "regional" providers in your area that you should download apps for.

PLUGSHARE is your best friend for finding non-Tesla DC fast chargers, and it will tell what networks they are part of and thus what app you need to use them.

Keith

Ok newb CCS question. Along with Electrify America app are there others I should download and enroll in for the most options?

You can pretty much sign-up for the whole bunch. Which ones will do you any good is another question. In a pinch then "any port in a storm" I guess.

I'm waiting on my CCS adapter (coming this Wed according to DHL!) so have fiddled with my in-car nav system to see what it shows for non-Tesla chargers.

EA comes up in a useful way (I say either "navigate to Electrify America" or add the word "chargers" to the sentence. Seems to work both ways.) With ChargePoint, their chargers also come up on the nav screen when I ask for them but are a mix of level-2 as well as DCFC units.

Heading to Cape Cod from AZ in three weeks. Hope to use some EA sites (350kW) in lieu of V2 Tesla sites (either co-located or darn near each other). Will report back with results (and cost differences!).

Rich

Yep, this is why I got the entire set of NEMA adapters and keep my UMC in the car. And I already got the really important adapter (the CCS one) so now it's just a question of whether the CHAdeMO ones will sell for cheap enough on the second hand market. I can't imagine it ever being too useful given that CHAdeMO is basically on borrowed time though.

Concerning the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter (we all know and hate :) ), one legitimate--albeit admittedly limited--need is for people who move with their TPC-port car (from Korea, Japan, or North America) to Europe, Australia, or New Zealand. Folks in that situation have a real problem using Superchargers or third-party DC charging stations in their newly adopted countries (since the stations there all have either CCS2 or Type 2 cable-plugs) and Tesla offers no adapters to overcome this. (There are some aftermarket adapters.) It's a real problem in New Zealand, for example, where a lot of the used cars sold there are imported from Japan, I'm told.

TPC-plug CHAdeMO adapters allow these immigrants to at least use DC third-party charging stations there (though at slower charging rates).

OK, I used the EA charger at Walmart Boise. Got 182KW. Still miss Tesla SC since its just plug and play, though it wasn't too bad to create an EA account, start a session, wait for it to start, etc. Also, Tesla connector is just so much sexier than a CCS and easier to handle. Well actually...first 350KW charger failed to initialize, though I wonder if it was because I had JUST created the EA account, but I moved to another one and it worked first try.
I just got mine a couple days ago and tried it out. I signed up for an EA account long ago (when I got a chademo adapter). Its not as simple as a supercharger, but its hardly a nuisance. Once all that info is already in your account, you just pull up, plug in, and click "start charging" on your phone.

Glad to see you pulling down 180kW!

You can pretty much sign-up for the whole bunch. Which ones will do you any good is another question. In a pinch then "any port in a storm" I guess.

I'm waiting on my CCS adapter (coming this Wed according to DHL!) so have fiddled with my in-car nav system to see what it shows for non-Tesla chargers.

EA comes up in a useful way (I say either "navigate to Electrify America" or add the word "chargers" to the sentence. Seems to work both ways.) With ChargePoint, their chargers also come up on the nav screen when I ask for them but are a mix of level-2 as well as DCFC units.

Heading to Cape Cod from AZ in three weeks. Hope to use some EA sites (350kW) in lieu of V2 Tesla sites (either co-located or darn near each other). Will report back with results (and cost differences!).

Rich

So....looks like the CCS adapter is capped out around 180KW....and goes to 150KW fairly soon after (not sure what SOC), but are you thinking you want to avoid V2 superchargers that are busy because you have a good chance of splitting the 150KW tesla charger with someone else? If the SC station wasn't being used much and you could get 150KW there, I would assume stick with Tesla since its more reliable?

... I would assume stick with Tesla since its more reliable?
Well, I really want the adapter for two reasons.

1-It's great to have additional options when on the road.

2-When in the AZ area there are a few places that we might want to go to that have EA sites but no nearby SC sites. That's a biggie.

I'll be using a few EA sites on the way to Cape Cod from AZ come first week in June so I can write up the experience in my book on EVs:

Electric Vehicles, What About Them?!?

I "think" SC sites will be less expensive, but not sure. Will find out!

Rich

It depends on the area of the country you live in. I have the Greenlots app because I travel to the south east where it is common, I have EVGo and ChargePoint because they seem common nation wide... there may be other "regional" providers in your area that you should download apps for.

PLUGSHARE is your best friend for finding non-Tesla DC fast chargers, and it will tell what networks they are part of and thus what app you need to use them.

Keith
I've noticed shell recharge (aka green lots) has been growing again too. They even have a location close to I26 now, about 60 miles southeast of Asheville.

Well, I really want the adapter for two reasons.

1-It's great to have additional options when on the road.

2-When in the AZ area there are a few places that we might want to go to that have EA sites but no nearby SC sites. That's a biggie.

I'll be using a few EA sites on the way to Cape Cod from AZ come first week in June so I can write up the experience in my book on EVs:

Electric Vehicles, What About Them?!?

I "think" SC sites will be less expensive, but not sure. Will find out!

Rich
It's a shame there aren't any EA stations on the Cape currently. Looks like one planned for the Mall.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
It's a shame there aren't any EA stations on the Cape currently. Looks like one planned for the Mall.
Cape Cod is pathetic in regard EV charging (at least for DCFC stations). There are three Tesla SC on Cape Cod, two V2 and one V3. Either no or one 50kW station at the Cape Cod Mall.

The best place for a DCFC station would be at the Burger King lot (large parking area, gas station, bus stop) right in the middle of Cape Cod off Route 6.

Rich

Mine delivered yesterday. Below is the timeline

4/29 - requested through Harumio
4/30 - Harumio req Tesla Account details and replied with Dummy Account details (wife account)
5/1 - Invoice received and paid
5/2 - proceeding with order acknowledgement recieved from Harumio
5/2 - Harumio unable to process with Dummy account
5/4 - Sent My account details with updated Temp password
5/6 - Ordered from Tesla via Harumio
5/11 - shipment initiated from Korea
5/12 - departed from Korea
5/13 - arrived cincinnati hub (1 AM EST)
5/13 - Departed cincinnati hub (7:20 AM EST)
------- No status Update from DHL between 05/13 and 05/16
5/16 - Delivered 6:30 PM

• Informative
Reactions: jawnly211 and KJD
To anyone that ordered via the direct link, without providing account credentials, have you gotten an update? Ordered, with the case, on may 10th and haven't gotten anything other than the original order confirmation email.
I thought I saw one person say they got a ship notice, but they didn't order the case. And the case is no longer available to order, so that may be delaying the orders.

Reactions: afscotch
To anyone that ordered via the direct link, without providing account credentials, have you gotten an update? Ordered, with the case, on may 10th and haven't gotten anything other than the original order confirmation email.
I ordered the ccs unit only on 5/12 and have only gotten the order confirmation generated by the website. My credit card was charged instantly. I’ll sent an email to them about 20 minutes ago asking if there are any issues.

Reactions: afscotch
I ordered the ccs unit only on 5/12 and have only gotten the order confirmation generated by the website. My credit card was charged instantly. I’ll sent an email to them about 20 minutes ago asking if there are any issues.
Thanks for the feedback. Have you has a noticeablely higher amount of email spam in your inbox? Or maybe I've gotten lucky lately winning all these gift cards, yeti's, etc.

Hi, I did one the old way and received it. I next ordered one for my wife using the link on 5.10.22. On 5.15.22 I received a 'your order is on the way email', and on 5.16.22 I got DHL shipping notice. As of today 5.17 the order is in the US, and is going to be delivered to me 5.19.22. Hope this helps. [ps, I didn't order a case]

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Thanks for the feedback. Have you has a noticeablely higher amount of email spam in your inbox? Or maybe I've gotten lucky lately winning all these gift cards, yeti's, etc.
Not on my end but I did find out a long lost cousin in Saudi Arabia passed and gifted me 100m so as soon as my payment clears they are sending the suitcases of cash he left me. Good days ahead.

Hi, I did one the old way and received it. I next ordered one for my wife using the link on 5.10.22. On 5.15.22 I received a 'your order is on the way email', and on 5.16.22 I got DHL shipping notice. As of today 5.17 the order is in the US, and is going to be delivered to me 5.19.22. Hope this helps. [ps, I didn't order a case]
Thanks. Perhaps due to the new method of not needing our credentials , we get less insight to the progress and just need to be a tad more patient.

Reactions: mmanner