Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS - buy now or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a “how to”video out there? Didn’t see one on youtube.

Thanks in advance.
No but this thread and a video on how to remove the trim was useful.

Reactions: Webeevdrivers
I don't think the pre-CCS owners should really squak about it although it would be nice if offered. The ones who really deserve it are the ones in 2021 that had it left off. And from the DYI videos, that looks like an easy and quick install. Of course with the production backlog maybe parts are still an issue.

Reactions: DrGriz
I wonder if Tesla US doesn’t want to offer the adapter here since there’s a lot of unsupported cars? They might not want to deal with an influx of retrofit my car requests.

my guess is that it's more the fact that supercharging rates are now more expensive than some of the other networks, and they'd be losing a profit source if they allow everyone to have options.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Update: the Harumio adaptor does not have the lockout pin. This means someone could unplug your charger and walk away with the adaptor if you're not in the car. In my case, I would usually be present because I got it mainly for family road trips.

Also it remains to be seen if Tesla USA eventually locks out the adaptor so that it can not be used. I do not know if this is possible through their software control.

Update: the Harumio adaptor does not have the lockout pin. This means someone could unplug your charger and walk away with the adaptor if you're not in the car. In my case, I would usually be present because I got it mainly for family road trips.

Also it remains to be seen if Tesla USA eventually locks out the adaptor so that it can not be used. I do not know if this is possible through their software control.
As far as I know, most of the CCS adapters on the market (only exception being the Setec adapter) are fully passive so the vehicle has no idea if you're using a Tesla-made one or a 3rd party one.

Update: the Harumio adaptor does not have the lockout pin. This means someone could unplug your charger and walk away with the adaptor if you're not in the car.
That's not how that works. The car's charge port has its own locking pin that holds onto the adapter, keeping it in the port, so no one will be able to take your adapter. That is a feature of the port in the car, so it makes no difference across any of these adapter types and brands. The thing that the locking pin does is prevent the charging station's handle from being disconnected from the adapter.

That's not how that works. The car's charge port has its own locking pin that holds onto the adapter, keeping it in the port, so no one will be able to take your adapter. That is a feature of the port in the car, so it makes no difference across any of these adapter types and brands. The thing that the locking pin does is prevent the charging station's handle from being disconnected from the adapter.
Thank you for the explanation. Doesn't the adapter need a receptacle to accept the locking pin? If the adapter doesn't have one, I wonder if Tesla could program the software to prevent it from charging?

Thank you for the explanation. Doesn't the adapter need a receptacle to accept the locking pin? If the adapter doesn't have one, I wonder if Tesla could program the software to prevent it from charging?
No, it just goes up against the plastic on the charging port and closes that way. Again, I don't think they could disable via SW as it's just a pass-thru. There would not be any indication on the screen that you're using an adapter, just like when you use the J1772 L2 adapter that came with the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
No, it just goes up against the plastic on the charging port and closes that way. Again, I don't think they could disable via SW as it's just a pass-thru. There would not be any indication on the screen that you're using an adapter, just like when you use the J1772 L2 adapter that came with the car.
That's good news. It'll be nice to be able to use some of the other chargers when I'm in an area where Superchargers are not prevalent.

Doesn't the adapter need a receptacle to accept the locking pin?
No. I don't have a picture handy, but I think I can describe it. The pin that sticks out of the official Tesla OEM adapter doesn't go into a receptacle anywhere. Picture it like just a stick of plastic that sticks out of the adapter, but there's a spring behind it, so you can just push it in and out with your thumb. The way it works is INSIDE the adapter, not outside of it. When that piece of plastic presses against a surface and gets pushed in, it is tripping some kind of internal latch that grabs onto the CCS charging handle that is plugged into it, so it won't let that release. So then to undo everything, someone would have to release the car's port first, to get the adapter out, that lets the little plastic stick piece be not pressed against the car and come back out again, and that releases the hold on the charge handle. At least that is my best understanding of it.

No. I don't have a picture handy, but I think I can describe it. The pin that sticks out of the official Tesla OEM adapter doesn't go into a receptacle anywhere. Picture it like just a stick of plastic that sticks out of the adapter, but there's a spring behind it, so you can just push it in and out with your thumb. The way it works is INSIDE the adapter, not outside of it. When that piece of plastic presses against a surface and gets pushed in, it is tripping some kind of internal latch that grabs onto the CCS charging handle that is plugged into it, so it won't let that release. So then to undo everything, someone would have to release the car's port first, to get the adapter out, that lets the little plastic stick piece be not pressed against the car and come back out again, and that releases the hold on the charge handle. At least that is my best understanding of it.
Thank you for the very descriptive explanation. My worry was that if that pin is not able to engage into the adaptor, the car will not charge. But DanDi58 stated that the J1772 L2 adapter doesn't use the pin. I've not used the J1772 L2 adapter yet so I don't know.