Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center horn retrofit for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you slide your hand over the buttons on the right side of wheel it honks. No need to target a button. Plus it keeps your hand off the air bag from sucker punching you in the face if deployed.
I hear you. On my last test drive twice I needed it and twice I hit the middle of the wheel instead of that little button by habit.

I must be the rare one that finds little issue with this. Yes it’s a change but that can happen with any technology. Simply placing your hand over the right side covering the buttons sounds the horn every time.

That almost never worked on my MXP. Tesla service just claimed I wasn't doing it right even when I demoed it for them. Even took the service guy several tries.

If you slide your hand over the buttons on the right side of wheel it honks. No need to target a button. Plus it keeps your hand off the air bag from sucker punching you in the face if deployed.
Tried placing my hand over that a few times. Windshield wipers go off. Not as good a solution as some have made it out to be. And you still need to target a moving area if the steering wheel is turned.

Sure and buttons belong on cell phones, cars should have 5 ash trays and lighters, rotary dials belong on phones and seat belts are not needed. True, not all horn events are accidents but I would rather learn through repetition Not to have my hand over the explosive (new tech) airbag when it goes off but that’s just me. Nobody likes change I get it. But sometimes they way it was is not always the best solution.
Show me any evidence that a small button not in the center is an improvement if you need to hit the horn quickly. You keep saying that and it's not about not embracing change. And Tesla apparently has heard enough complaints that the Model S, X, 3, Y, and Cybertruck will all be getting a center horn (not center of the right side as you suggested his tweet really meant).

Reactions: narkotic
Guys, there is definitely a horn coming. I just placed an order through my app for my MS and the appointment was confirmed. Part # 1965073-00-B clearly lists the part as:
ROUND STEERING WHEEL - MECHANICAL HORN
Steering Wheel 1965073-00-B must be installed with steering wheel DAB 1965183-00-A. Firmware update required.

and:

YOKE STEERING WHEEL ASSEMBLY PUR - MECHANICAL HORN
Steering Yoke 1965131-00-B must use yoke DAB 1965182-00-A. Firmware update required.

Guys, there is definitely a horn coming. I just placed an order through my app for my MS and the appointment was confirmed. Part # 1965073-00-B clearly lists the part as:
ROUND STEERING WHEEL - MECHANICAL HORN
Steering Wheel 1965073-00-B must be installed with steering wheel DAB 1965183-00-A. Firmware update required.

and:

YOKE STEERING WHEEL ASSEMBLY PUR - MECHANICAL HORN
Steering Yoke 1965131-00-B must use yoke DAB 1965182-00-A. Firmware update required.
Confirmed.
I had mine installed 3 days ago in my '21 Plaid
Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 9.02.10 PM.jpg