Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center horn retrofit for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You do not need to be on 2024.2.7. The tech just needs to connect his laptop to the car to update the config file to tell it you have the mechanical horn, and that's it. I'm still on 11.4.9 with the 2023.44.30.8 build and the new yoke installed. Many of us are.
Do you happen to know which part was installed?

In the service estimate I received, it was using part 1965131-00-A. Tesla EPC shows a newer 1965131-00-B revision, but I don't know if that has any significance.

And if that's all the tech had to do, that's a shame that he didn't know and couldn't complete it. All that he offered to do was push the later firmware which would move me off v12.3 FSD beta. I don't mind waiting a little longer to keep that.

Do you happen to know which part was installed?

In the service estimate I received, it was using part 1965131-00-A. Tesla EPC shows a newer 1965131-00-B revision, but I don't know if that has any significance.

And if that's all the tech had to do, that's a shame that he didn't know and couldn't complete it. All that he offered to do was push the later firmware which would move me off v12.3 FSD beta. I don't mind waiting a little longer to keep that.

YOKE DRIVER AIRBAG
ASSEMBLY(1965182-
00-A)

YOKE STEERING
WHEEL ASSEMBLY
PUR - MECHANICAL
HORN(1965131-00-B)

BOLT RC M16X1.5X26
PC88 PTP.(1036655-00-
A)

Those are the three parts listed on my invoice.

Reactions: dsm363 and alexdav
Guys, there is definitely a horn coming. I just placed an order through my app for my MS and the appointment was confirmed. Part # 1965073-00-B clearly lists the part as:
ROUND STEERING WHEEL - MECHANICAL HORN
Steering Wheel 1965073-00-B must be installed with steering wheel DAB 1965183-00-A. Firmware update required.

and:

YOKE STEERING WHEEL ASSEMBLY PUR - MECHANICAL HORN
Steering Yoke 1965131-00-B must use yoke DAB 1965182-00-A. Firmware update required.
Any update? Was there a charge for the replacement?

Reactions: dsm363
I have an appointment set up to swap the non functioning horn wheel for the new one…

They want $1,000 for the wheel, and $1,000 for the mechanical horn airbag. With .18 hour labor, the total is $2,237…
(December 2023 S)

Nope…

Attachments​

• IMG_1606.png
    IMG_1606.png
    354.2 KB · Views: 1

Last edited:
I have an appointment set up to swap the non functioning horn wheel for the new one…

They want $1,000 for the wheel, and $1,000 for the mechanical horn airbag. With .18 hour labor, the total is $2,237…
(December 2023 S)
Is it actually worth that much to you?

It is really sad that likely the only reason you need a new airbag is that the NHTSA requirements are that whatever triggers the horn has to have the horn symbol on it. So, $1,000 just to get the little 1/8" impressed horn icon on the airbag cover...

Is it actually worth that much to you?

It is really sad that likely the only reason you need a new airbag is that the NHTSA requirements are that whatever triggers the horn has to have the horn symbol on it. So, $1,000 just to get the little 1/8" impressed horn icon on the airbag cover...
If this is a retrofit we could do it home I’d gladly buy the wheel by itself and place a sticker on.

Because nothing has failed? The steering wheel and horn button still work. (The people with a yoke are getting free upgrades under warranty because the cover on the yoke is failing and peeling.)

It is just a feature change, and those aren't covered by warranty.
There is Elons post on twitter (that’s still up) which claims all cars from 11/2021 have the hardware. I’d be curious to see if small claims would make them do the retrofit based on that. But I can’t be bothered to test it.

I’m still holding out hope they eventually offer an official retrofit through the shop for less money. They used to do the yoke to wheel swap for $700, and the cost should be the same considering that also included a new wheel and airbag.

What year is your car?
There’s also a software update, moving the record button function to what was the horn button.
If your car has 2023.44.x.x (or earlier, potentially), - it's just a config change and does NOT require an update to 2024.x.x.x, but will require Tesla to do this config change connected to the car. It's likely this change comes to service mode, thereby not requiring a tech to have to physically connect anything to the car, but as of today that's not the case.
Based on “just waiting on firmware update” I’d say yes

That was total BS, right? Not really excusable....

Reactions: dsm363
Because nothing has failed? The steering wheel and horn button still work. (The people with a yoke are getting free upgrades under warranty because the cover on the yoke is failing and peeling.)

It is just a feature change, and those aren't covered by warranty.
I thought you were saying your horn was no longer functioning which would involve your yolk needing to be replaced