Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center horn retrofit for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Makes you wonder why it's a $2000 retrofit but I guess since the software (impossible to do) update was never going to be happen, at least this gets me closer to the car I wanted. With Enhance turn signal stalk, I think I'll be set.
Yeah it doesn’t really make sense to me that they’re charging $2k for this when the original yoke to steering retrofit was only $700 for a new wheel and airbag.

I’m going to give it a little more time to see if they offer a more reasonably priced retrofit through the shop in the coming months. But otherwise I’ll probably break down and just do it

Reactions: GSP and dsm363
Yeah it doesn’t really make sense to me that they’re charging $2k for this when the original yoke to steering retrofit was only $700 for a new wheel and airbag.

I’m going to give it a little more time to see if they offer a more reasonably priced retrofit through the shop in the coming months. But otherwise I’ll probably break down and just do it
The CEO clearly either lied or incorrectly believed back in May 2022 that all cars since Nov 2021 just needed a software update, Tesla could have simply corrected that statement. Since they didn't do that quickly (or ever), they could have thrown people a bone and done it for $700-$1,000 even. As long as they broke even with parts and labor costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
From my understanding, they take the airbag for safety reasons. I can also build a lot of fun *sugar* with non detonated airbags 😅
Still bullshit. It’s not illegal to own an airbag. In fact all of us own several within our very cars.

If it’s not a core charge issue (which should be reflected on the invoice), I’d just remove the airbag myself before handing the car over. The wheel / bag combo can be sold as a set to someone wanting to retrofit yoke to wheel

Reactions: GSP and cptnslo
Critically, the airbags are different between the Yoke and the Round wheel, and apparently between the original Yoke and the new center horn Yoke. Without the airbag, not sure what your options really are for your old Yoke if you keep it.