Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Adapter (coming this winter)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it's cheaper than I expected (I expected $1-2k). And it's as bulky as I expected (reminds me of those NASCAR fuel cans), but like doug says, it's not what we were told to expect (something that you plug in on the floor, although I guess the problem with that design is rain). I assume this one you plug in the CHAdeMO first and then into the car (doesn't look like it would work the other way around like we expected).

But the power rating has me scratching my head. 25kW (70mph) is only barely faster than an HPWC. Maybe it's not safe to go higher or they have another higher power adapter in the cards (maybe the European/Asian one is more powerful)?

So if we have faster dc charging stations, will we get better than stated charge rate?
No, most CHAdeMO stations right now support 50kW (although there are some 25kW). Right now this is a limitation of the adapter, not the CHAdeMO stations. It's better than nothing (esp. for those in areas with lots of CHAdeMO stations around), but makes it more iffy if it's worth $1000.

I guess we'll be seeing Leafs complaining about "slow charging" Model S hogging DC chargers (rather than the other way around for AC chargers):tongue:.

Last edited:
Maybe the 'approximately 70 miles of range per hour' was a typo or a mistake as they start off by saying you can take advantage of the 50kW chargers not 25kW chargers.
Hopefully that's the case. Although even if the car charges at 25kW (70mph) on 50kW chargers, the statement is still consistent. You can't charge faster than the charger is rated, but you definitely can charge slower.

Well it's cheaper than I expected (I expected $1-2k). And it's as bulky as I expected (reminds me of those NASCAR fuel cans), but like doug says, it's not what we were told to expect (something that you plug in on the floor, although I guess the problem with that design is rain).
Well, I for one think I would prefer a box on the ground. That nozzle and cable are heavy and I would think too heavy to be supported by the charge port. But, I guess they have thought it out.

Well, I for one think I would prefer a box on the ground. That nozzle and cable are heavy and I would think too heavy to be supported by the charge port. But, I guess they have thought it out.
I'm guessing it locks to the car (probably required of most DC connectors) and the weight is supported by the locking pin. CHAdeMO also has a latch that I guess locks to this adapter. If this was not the case, we may be seeing the same melting like with some of the UMC adapters (definitely not a good thing).

Hoping we can get an official explanation for the low miles per hour of charge figure. If it turns out they are just listing conservative numbers, and the adapter doesnt limit in any way, I'm ordering one the moment they let me.

Just curious where you'd plan to use it? All but 3 of the current CHAdeMO units in AZ are scattered around the Phoenix area, with the others in Casa Grande, Picacho Peak, and Tucson. The Tucson one could come in handy for a trip down there, but I doubt I'd even use it and just charge overnight some place (we're going down to Tucson in a month, so have planned this out already).

I don't know enough about the CHADEMO standard but I don't understand why the adapter is $1000, that seems outrageous to me. Why is it so much more than other adapters? Can someone explain why the CHADEMO makes the adapter so complicated and expensive?

1. At $1000, it's only $350 more than a UMC, which is a far simpler device. I really thought that it would be $2500 when announced.

2. The ChaDeMo adapter has to emulate a ChaDeMo car for the EVSE and then translate that into Tesla speak. It also has to be aware of the various types of ChaDeMo EVSEs.

At only 70 miles of range per hour, that doesn't seem to make sense to purchase this DC adapter. That is not much better than a HPWC.
There are also going to be J1772 chargers around that provide 70-80 amps, which is almost just as fast as this CHADEMO adapter.

If the CHADEMO adapter provided full acces to 50 kW or higher (140+ miles of range per hour) then I would say it is worth buying. But not at 70. Just my opinion.

Just curious where you'd plan to use it? All but 3 of the current CHAdeMO units in AZ are scattered around the Phoenix area, with the others in Casa Grande, Picacho Peak, and Tucson. The Tucson one could come in handy for a trip down there, but I doubt I'd even use it and just charge overnight some place (we're going down to Tucson in a month, so have planned this out already).

Admittedly I wouldnt use it much around town. As you said, Tucson trips perhaps, and certainly for LA trips, quite a few out there. Getting to SCs while in LA may not always be easy (assuming I can get to LA at some point in the future). So having access to use Chademo would be helpful. And I'm assuming there will be some future buildout, though it's not a given. I like (as Elon would say) "optionality".

At only 70 miles of range per hour, that doesn't seem to make sense to purchase this DC adapter. That is not much better than a HPWC.
There are also going to be J1772 chargers around that provide 70-80 amps, which is almost just as fast as this CHADEMO adapter.

That assumes you have dual chargers.
This much cheaper than dual chargers and even at 25kW still faster.
And when I look around the places I go, CHAdeMO is more common than 80+A J1772.