Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes coming, but what does this all mean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree about depreciation, I think it'll be real, average buyer will care about tangible things such as 360 degree surround view more than megacastings and structural battery pack, especially when the latter has a range penalty right now.
I have no plans to use FSD so the computer itself offers little value, but better cameras, more importantly better camera placement will make parking so much easier in very tight spaces which a lot of people will find that use case common. We're not even counting adding back radar which will bring back higher AP speed, closer following distance, and the ability to continue operating in the rain at night.
Agree and I can’t think of another car company, especially EV that’s worth owning to not have all these features. Yet, you have Tesla fan-bois making silly excuses why Tesla doesn’t have it or need it until Teslas has it. I swear some of these fan-bois must be paid marketing agents of Tesla otherwise what’s the point of defending a company so staunchly. I love my Land Cruiser but I won’t make excuses for some of its deficiencies or try to convince someone it has the most amazing features. I will certainly wait for an updated Tesla and willing to pay more for improved features.

Kidding here ..> Better hope the guy you squeezed up to also has parking sensors for when he backs out. Also hope he has sensors that keep his kids from dinging your car with their doors. Just kidding ... I suppose the tight space you're really talking about is your garage.
I think he’s referring to tight places as I would be, yes home garage but most importantly, downtown underground garages can be tricky with huge concrete columns and I prefer parking right up near them to give me the max space between other cars. Works every time. Also, a couple city garages I park in for concerts, etc. have horrible entrances where the concrete bump outs protrude past the ticket box. Just look at them and you’ll see how scraped up they are from wheels. Many other situations where having a true 360 top down view comes in handy to protect wheel scrapes.

I disagree about depreciation, I think it'll be real, average buyer will care about tangible things such as 360 degree surround view more than megacastings and structural battery pack, especially when the latter has a range penalty right now.
I have no plans to use FSD so the computer itself offers little value, but better cameras, more importantly better camera placement will make parking so much easier in very tight spaces which a lot of people will find that use case common. We're not even counting adding back radar which will bring back higher AP speed, closer following distance, and the ability to continue operating in the rain at night.
Interesting opinion, but from my experience, "Add-ons" rarely impact the cost of a vehicle significantly. Take a look at any car in Bluebook and change the options on it. For what may have been a $10,000+ difference in cost originally often only means a $1,000 difference in the used price.

I tend to but near the top-of-the-line car and always get upset during resale where I see that it means so little.

radar does not appear to be returning to MY M3 series soon. that looks to go only with HW4, and will be on MS MX first.
parking with camera upgrades, yes, there is value there. the front nose dropoff does make it necessary to pay attention. Apparently people don't wish to.
the introduction timeframe of new cams is unknown. they've not yet appeared in MY M3 MiC cars, so it may be a while. They are now on MS MX cars.
HW4 as stated earlier only has value for FSD buyers. And AP works fine on HW3; 90mph is doable on mine.

Kidding here ..> Better hope the guy you squeezed up to also has parking sensors for when he backs out. Also hope he has sensors that keep his kids from dinging your car with their doors. Just kidding ... I suppose the tight space you're really talking about is your garage.
that guy you squeezed up to better be skinny. otherwise doors will get dinged. just sayin'.....most people avoid that scenario.

Reactions: zoomer0056
you must make that decision for yourself.

inform yourself as best you can, but no one here can or should be buying a car for you.
Tesla buying decisions have become much as the purchase of a PC used to be; feature changes promoted faster than actual use cases could keep up.
what's your real use case, and does any of the nonsense here actually impact that ?
I am trying to get all the information from you guys here and trying to make that decision.
You are right, its more of like a cell phone now a days. And i wont be needing all those functions anyways

Interesting... what is the definition of a follow distance of 1 and how is it prohibited by law in any state or country?

Keith

It's called tailgating, and a follow distance of 1 is well within that range. At 70 MPH, a setting of 3 is borderline. I realize many drivers drive really close to the car in front of them, but having it as an allowed feature in a car opens the manufacturerer to liability.

Interesting... what is the definition of a follow distance of 1 and how is it prohibited by law in any state or country?

Keith
Yeah, I would also like to know what the unit is for this. I just looked in the Model S manual:

"Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is designed to slow down Model S as needed to maintain a selected time-based distance from the vehicle in front"

It is not more specific than that.

Last edited:
It's called tailgating, and a follow distance of 1 is well within that range. At 70 MPH, a setting of 3 is borderline. I realize many drivers drive really close to the car in front of them, but having it as an allowed feature in a car opens the manufacturerer to liability.
What is a follow distance of one. Define it for me. Why is it allowed on all pre-vision only Teslas if it is illegal?

Keith

Reactions: zoomer0056
What is a follow distance of one. Define it for me. Why is it allowed on all pre-vision only Teslas if it is illegal?

Keith

"Following too closely may be defined as, “situations in which one vehicle is following another vehicle so closely that even if the following driver is attentive to the actions of the vehicle ahead he/she could not avoid a collision in the circumstance when the driver in front brakes suddenly."

And as far as I know, "following too closely" is indeed a law in many states. Traffic Tickets for Following Too Closely or “Tailgating”

Now, it's an interesting quandary in a Tesla, as the car does tend to be able to avoid (or at least minimize) a collision with extremely close following. but since it's in beta and the driver's responsible, It's too close for human reaction times.

Just one example:

Virginia’s “Three-Second Rule”​

Taken together, these factors and variables often result in the “three second rule” that most organizations (including the DMV) recommend.

Basically, you should always stay around three seconds behind the vehicle in front of you (though this obviously varies at very low and very high speeds).

Simple fact of the matter is that numerous times, Tesla has come out with these safety features only to be completely beaten down by SoCal drivers. And indeed, following the law on many SoCal Interstates tend to assure that you never get anywhere. For example, go 55 on some of the Interstates and people just continually pull in front of you. Leave a car length between you and the car in front of you and 3 cars will pull in front of you.

Take a look at the driving styles in the car. MadMax was designed for SoCal. And it ain't for the faint of heart!

What is a follow distance of one.
Good question, I also would like to know. The Model S manual says:

"Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is designed to slow down Model S as needed to maintain a selected time-based distance from the vehicle in front"

So it must be a time variable not a distance. The manual is not more specific than that. I don't know what a value of one equates to in time. I think it would be an easy test to figure it out.

Keith
I have been wanting to know the definition of follow distance as well. Nobody seems to know. I can say one thing for sure, it is definitely not measured in car lengths. It seems to be some function of speed. When set to 2 the distance is so far back people jump in front of me. No way 1 would ever be tailgating even if it were half this.

Good question, I also would like to know. The Model S manual says:

So it must be a time variable not a distance. The manual is not more specific than that. I don't know what a value of one equates to in time. I think it would be an easy test to figure it out.

Trust me, I've checked many time. At 7, it may be at 3 seconds. At 1, it's measured in ms.

Time or speed based. It's different at 10 mph than at 70. And if you think about it, time and speed/distance are the same thing. i.e. 60 mph = 88 ft/sec and therefore 3 seconds = 264 ft @ 60 mph or 132 ft @30 mph.

For me, at 70, on roads that aren't busy, I'd like to be at least 10 or more seconds behind the car in front of me. I'm chilling and don't want to have to be constantly worrying about the car in front of me.

Just doing a little searching, human reaction time is 273 milliseconds or 24 ft at 60 mph. But that doesn't include the time to recognize that the car is slowing and decide what to do to react, which is probably more in the range of well over a second. Think about it next time someone brakes unexpectedly in front of you. Try it on an safe road, have a passenger randomly holler brake on the road and see how long it takes for you to react, including checking if cars are behind you or cars to the side of you (in attempt to change lanes)

I think he’s referring to tight places as I would be, yes home garage but most importantly, downtown underground garages can be tricky with huge concrete columns and I prefer parking right up near them to give me the max space between other cars. Works every time. Also, a couple city garages I park in for concerts, etc. have horrible entrances where the concrete bump outs protrude past the ticket box. Just look at them and you’ll see how scraped up they are from wheels. Many other situations where having a true 360 top down view comes in handy to protect wheel scrapes.
I absolutely agree, I have to deal with way too many parking garages with those huge columns placed at the "entrance" to the spots, or in areas with shorter obstacles such as flower beds or really tall curbs. A surround view camera can also enable unique angles such as passenger side front wheel cam allowing you to park in home garages. A lot of newer houses are built with 2 car garages that are 20% smaller than houses built in the 90s.

Interesting opinion, but from my experience, "Add-ons" rarely impact the cost of a vehicle significantly. Take a look at any car in Bluebook and change the options on it. For what may have been a $10,000+ difference in cost originally often only means a $1,000 difference in the used price.

I tend to but near the top-of-the-line car and always get upset during resale where I see that it means so little.
I'd say in general I agree that Add-ons don't really help preserve value of the car, but in this case it's not an add-on, but rather a significant tangible design change across the lineup. This is like Model S' Oct 2016 refresh with the 8 camera setup that made the car relevant for the next 6+ years, while a Model S made in early 2016 immediately became obsolete.
radar does not appear to be returning to MY M3 series soon. that looks to go only with HW4, and will be on MS MX first.
parking with camera upgrades, yes, there is value there. the front nose dropoff does make it necessary to pay attention. Apparently people don't wish to.
the introduction timeframe of new cams is unknown. they've not yet appeared in MY M3 MiC cars, so it may be a while. They are now on MS MX cars.
HW4 as stated earlier only has value for FSD buyers. And AP works fine on HW3; 90mph is doable on mine.
I think at this point we only know that S/X will get the new HW4.0 package, but even now I don't know if it's indeed going to get all those cameras, I'm in the opinion that S/X will get HW4 computer and some upgraded cameras but not all the bumper ones, this is how they're able to push cars out without production stoppage. Looks like at least the repeater cameras now point to the sides more than pointing to the rear.
HW4 will greatly enhance AP performance in adverse weather conditions over HW3- cars (minus means no radar, no USS), AP speed is limited to 85mph but TACC allows higher speed, following distance limitation also made it a pain to use in rush hour traffic. I wish Tesla will turn radar back on for pre-vision HW3 cars to restore that capability.

I absolutely agree, I have to deal with way too many parking garages with those huge columns placed at the "entrance" to the spots, or in areas with shorter obstacles such as flower beds or really tall curbs. A surround view camera can also enable unique angles such as passenger side front wheel cam allowing you to park in home garages. A lot of newer houses are built with 2 car garages that are 20% smaller than houses built in the 90s.

I'd say in general I agree that Add-ons don't really help preserve value of the car, but in this case it's not an add-on, but rather a significant tangible design change across the lineup. This is like Model S' Oct 2016 refresh with the 8 camera setup that made the car relevant for the next 6+ years, while a Model S made in early 2016 immediately became obsolete.

I think at this point we only know that S/X will get the new HW4.0 package, but even now I don't know if it's indeed going to get all those cameras, I'm in the opinion that S/X will get HW4 computer and some upgraded cameras but not all the bumper ones, this is how they're able to push cars out without production stoppage. Looks like at least the repeater cameras now point to the sides more than pointing to the rear.
HW4 will greatly enhance AP performance in adverse weather conditions over HW3- cars (minus means no radar, no USS), AP speed is limited to 85mph but TACC allows higher speed, following distance limitation also made it a pain to use in rush hour traffic. I wish Tesla will turn radar back on for pre-vision HW3 cars to restore that capability.
Tesla is the only entity that knows the plans.
Wishing won't make any of it happen.
Be good with what's on offer or move on.

• Disagree
Reactions: flgatorfan