Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port door not flush? Am I crazy here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my 3 in for service recently due to a charge port issue...they ended up replacing the UMC and the door, and it doesn't sit flush anymore like yours and it's annoying the heck out of me.

Disappointing to find out that it's probably within spec and they won't do anything about it.

Mine is the same. VIN 25xxx. Noticed at delivery and created a service ticket. Tesla Mobile tech just replaced the port door but it did not fix the issue. He said he will escalate and research further.

There is no way it's "within spec". Play them the video where Musk boasts about tolerances etc. Yes, it's not a huge deal, but you cannot unsee it once you see it and they need to fix it. It is NOT the same for all Model 3's, I've seen plenty with perfect alignment. It is obviously a bigger issue with inconsistent charge port install that does not allow the door to close fully. Evidenced by the comment above that charging port replacement introduced the issue.

They do have bigger fish to fry now and I'm willing to wait for the fix, even several months. But don't tell me it's within spec.

Tesla Quality.jpg

It just boils down to dumb design on Tesla's part. Having a single offset pivot arm in an assembly mostly made in plastic is going to be pain to hold tight tolerances and not get out of shape over time. Of course Tesla just made the design, I'm sure someone else is actually manufacturing it.

I don't understand why a secondary arm couldn't have been added at the rear to keep the door from being so flimsy and have better chance of tighter tolerances and hold up over time. I can see the charge port door being an annoying nagging problem in the future.

I took my 3 in for service recently due to a charge port issue...they ended up replacing the UMC and the door, and it doesn't sit flush anymore like yours and it's annoying the heck out of me.

Disappointing to find out that it's probably within spec and they won't do anything about it.

Exact same happened to me. Keep complaining because they ended up adjusting the whole tail-light to fix it.

It helps if u have an X or an S to escalate the issue.

Reactions: odyuh
Mine is not flush. Car is currently at the SC for a different issue and brought up the charge door issue - will see if anything happens.

Picked up the car from SC:

"Removed and replaced charge port and cover. Verified proper fitment and operation. Charge port door is now operating as designed."

It's somewhat better but still not 100% flush. The technician basically said it's a known issue.

The charge door is really simple on the S. It seems that Tesla went out of its way to simplify as much as possible on the 3 vs the S but for some reason made the charge door more complicated.

Had my charge port door replaced by a ranger a few weeks ago, and now I have this issue. My old charge port door was perfectly lush, and now it sticks out on the bottom

Will have to mention it at my next service center visit.

What do you guys think about my charge port door? Does it stick out too much? I think it didn't use to stick out as much. But the left brake light was sticking out toward the back, so I got that fixed at a service center. I think they screwed left brake light in further, so probably as a result, the charge port door isn't flush w/the left brake light.

IMG_1407.JPG
IMG_5493.JPG

This is the right side, which is flush:
IMG_6017.JPG

What do you guys think about my charge port door? Does it stick out too much? I think it didn't use to stick out as much. But the left brake light was sticking out toward the back, so I got that fixed at a service center. I think they screwed left brake light in further, so probably as a result, the charge port door isn't flush w/the left brake light.

View attachment 346461 View attachment 346462

This is the right side, which is flush:
View attachment 346460

Mine is like yours. I am going to take it to the SC at some point and see if they can at least get it a little more flush.

I have a 2012 Prius Plug-In with a separate charge port door. It is completely manual with no electric motor to open and close. You can open the gas door remotely from the interior, but not the charge port door. The charge port door requires a push to open and then you have to close it manually. The charge port door sits absolutely flush with the surrounding body panels when shut.

It appears that Tesla has added complexity to fit and finish with an automated, electric motor operated, remotely activated charge port door to give the appearance of a "luxury" vehicle. Just imagine the criticism Tesla would have endured had they put a manually operated charge port door like the Prius on a "$60,000 car", not realizing that a 2012 Prius Plug-In had a $40,000 sticker price with about 1% of the technology of a 2018 model 3. The outcry of model 3 owners especially in cold winter climates that had to endure manually opening/closing the charge port door would have been deafening. What do people want, simple manual operation with fewer problems or complicated automation with more problems? Remember, that model 3 automated charge door will be on the $35,000 base car too. The model 3 is far from a "luxury" car when priced in the middle of medium priced cars - those high priced technology features and options do add up with additional potential problems!
Well I mean they could have just used the same, simpler charge port door design on the S/X instead of designing a more complicated and less easy to fit charge port door on the 3. So it's not like this was some intractable problem that not even the great minds at Tesla could solve. It was solved. The S/X already had perfectly acceptable charge port doors.