Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice to be able to have both power cables running at the same time.

It is pretty good. 75 kW doesn't sound that much more than 50 kW, but really it cuts the charge time down by about a third. The Ioniq and Kona are some of the more popular EVs (apart from the Model 3) and are capable of utilising this speed so it is definitely worthwhile. Having both cables operating at once, even if it cuts each down to 37.5 kW each, is definitely better than having to stand and wait or find another charger.

It makes me think.. almost all EVs sold in Australia are CCS2. If these kind of chargers become more popular, does it make it more beneficial to get a Leaf, since the Chademo plug is statistically more likely to be the available plug should you run into an in-use dual cable charger? ;)

Reactions: Hairyman
It makes me think.. almost all EVs sold in Australia are CCS2. If these kind of chargers become more popular, does it make it more beneficial to get a Leaf, since the Chademo plug is statistically more likely to be the available plug should you run into an in-use dual cable charger? ;)
Yeah, no, that means owning a Leaf ;-)

Half-related: One time I pulled into NRMA Scone, on my way to Moree. There was an Outlander PHEV plugged into CHAdeMO but not charging. Probably full. After being a bit peeved, I realised I could try something sneaky. I left their CHAdeMO plugged in, plugged CCS2 into my Model 3, and fired up the charger. It seems the CCS2 plug took precedence there, as I got the electrons when the machine started pushing out power with both plugs connected.

Recently there was an Outlander at Homebush NRMA that had finished charging. I just unplugged it.
But could you charge yours? The cables on that one are pretty short and the parking very unfriendly.

I charged my LEAF there once, and I had to park it right next to the kerb and as far back as legally possible and the Chademo only just reached.

It is pretty good. 75 kW doesn't sound that much more than 50 kW, but really it cuts the charge time down by about a third. The Ioniq and Kona are some of the more popular EVs (apart from the Model 3) and are capable of utilising this speed so it is definitely worthwhile. Having both cables operating at once, even if it cuts each down to 37.5 kW each, is definitely better than having to stand and wait or find another charger.

75kw cuts charging time down by more than that. 50kw is 60% as fast as 75kw (as you always get 7.5kw less)

It is pretty good. 75 kW doesn't sound that much more than 50 kW, but really it cuts the charge time down by about a third.
For 10% to 90%, my SR+ takes an hour on 50kW, 40 minutes on a Supercharger, or 37-38 minutes on an Ultra-Rapid.

The Supercharger and Ultra-Rapid are well above 75kW, and spend a solid chunk of the charging cycle well above 75kW, but you only get a time saving of 1/3 off the 50kW charger. I'd imagine a 75kW unit will take me about 50 minutes for 10% to 90%.

Reactions: moa999
But could you charge yours?
Yes. I reversed to the Outlander and stretched the CCS cable just enough.

upload_2021-1-22_12-58-26.png

I’ve used Chargefox ultra-rapid twice to charge to 95%. The first time added 21 kWh in 26 minutes, starting at a rate of 67 kW, the second time (obviously starting from a lower charge) added 30 kWh in 24 minutes, starting at 138 kW.

So the second session added more charge in less time, even though it finished at the same point. Go figure!

So, 2020.24.5 added On-Route Battery Warmup
"Your vehicle will now precondition the battery when navigating to third party fast charging stations"

But.. has anyone been able to get this to work on-route to a Chargefox site?

I normally touch the nearest supercharger and let it do it's thing as I drive to the Chargefox.

• Helpful
For 10% to 90%, my SR+ takes an hour on 50kW, 40 minutes on a Supercharger, or 37-38 minutes on an Ultra-Rapid.

The Supercharger and Ultra-Rapid are well above 75kW, and spend a solid chunk of the charging cycle well above 75kW, but you only get a time saving of 1/3 off the 50kW charger. I'd imagine a 75kW unit will take me about 50 minutes for 10% to 90%.

10 to 90% on the LR takes 85min. Too long.

So, 2020.24.5 added On-Route Battery Warmup
"Your vehicle will now precondition the battery when navigating to third party fast charging stations"

But.. has anyone been able to get this to work on-route to a Chargefox site?

I normally touch the nearest supercharger and let it do it's thing as I drive to the Chargefox.

yeah i would like to know this too. Also I would like to know why you still cant see third party charging stations on the map...Well that is probably part of the problem!. Maybe this feature only works in the USA?

10 to 90% on the LR takes 85min. Too long.

This. The difference between Tritium 50kW chargers (which I struggle to get over 40kW most of the time) and Superchargers or the Tritium 350kW chargers is staggering. I can be away in under 20 mins at the latter chargers whereas the Tritium 50kW have me stuck for well over an hour.

I have a 3P- so the larger battery probably helps. I can maintain charge rates in excess of 40kW all the way to 90% on Superchargers/Tritium 350kW.

I would be happy for 75kW chargers to be installed where 50kW only infrastructure exists as it is essentially twice as fast. Also from what I've read, the 75kW chargers are basically as versatile as the 50kW also, so shouldn't be problem.

I will still maintain Supercharger level infrastructure is required in many more regional locations (looking at you regional QLD). Chargefox should be building 75kW and 350kW stations north of Brisbane and not just maintaining the QESH stations.

This. The difference between Tritium 50kW chargers (which I struggle to get over 40kW most of the time) and Superchargers or the Tritium 350kW chargers is staggering. I can be away in under 20 mins at the latter chargers whereas the Tritium 50kW have me stuck for well over an hour.

I have a 3P- so the larger battery probably helps. I can maintain charge rates in excess of 40kW all the way to 90% on Superchargers/Tritium 350kW.

I would be happy for 75kW chargers to be installed where 50kW only infrastructure exists as it is essentially twice as fast. Also from what I've read, the 75kW chargers are basically as versatile as the 50kW also, so shouldn't be problem.

I will still maintain Supercharger level infrastructure is required in many more regional locations (looking at you regional QLD). Chargefox should be building 75kW and 350kW stations north of Brisbane and not just maintaining the QESH stations.

Im very glad to have the 3P- because I do a lot of long distance driving in FNQ. So apart from Townsville I have to rely on 42kw from QESH which is just....slow.

The electricity supply is definitely there as QESH can already provide 95kw at each of their sites (AC x2 +DC)

Honestly I'd be superhappy with 75kw in far north queensland. You cant zip around at 140 on the bruce - in fact my average speed is like 90km/h on a good day and maybe 100 in the early morning. So it takes a while to deplete the battery and usually I need a bathroom break, clean the windshield etc. Regular 350kw chargers would be almost too quick. Once the bruce highway will be upgraded to a proper motorway by 2035 it will be a different matter.

Unfortunately I doubt that QESH will upgrade their sites further until the existing 50kw charger will see consistent use throughout the day. And by December this year we will get the Evie 350kw proserpine charger and the childers supercharger. So technically driving Cairns to Brisbane we only have to do one 42kw charge session at Carmila.

Im very glad to have the 3P- because I do a lot of long distance driving in FNQ. So apart from Townsville I have to rely on 42kw from QESH which is just....slow.

The electricity supply is definitely there as QESH can already provide 95kw at each of their sites (AC x2 +DC)

Honestly I'd be superhappy with 75kw in far north queensland. You cant zip around at 140 on the bruce - in fact my average speed is like 90km/h on a good day and maybe 100 in the early morning. So it takes a while to deplete the battery and usually I need a bathroom break, clean the windshield etc. Regular 350kw chargers would be almost too quick. Once the bruce highway will be upgraded to a proper motorway by 2035 it will be a different matter.

Unfortunately I doubt that QESH will upgrade their sites further until the existing 50kw charger will see consistent use throughout the day. And by December this year we will get the Evie 350kw proserpine charger and the childers supercharger. So technically driving Cairns to Brisbane we only have to do one 42kw charge session at Carmila.

What QESH should do is replace every second charger currently on the Bruce highway with the 75kW charger. Move the replaced 50kW charger to locations such as Cooktown, Chargers Towers, Hughenden, Julia Creek, Mount Isa, Emerald, Barcaldine and Winton. Really allows them to open up the outback while increasing charge speeds on the Bruce Highway.

While I would be overjoyed to see a 4 lane motorway for the entire Bruce, I think we will be lucky to see it reach Childers by 2035.

Absolutely looking forward to the Proserpine Evie and Childers Supercharger. Will make at least 2 hours difference for me. I still think I will need to stop twice at QESH, albeit for a shorter duration each stop. Will finally be able to do Townsville to Brisbane in one day without resorting to ridiculous amounts of the day spent on the trip.

What QESH should do is replace every second charger currently on the Bruce highway with the 75kW charger. Move the replaced 50kW charger to locations such as Cooktown, Chargers Towers, Hughenden, Julia Creek, Mount Isa, Emerald, Barcaldine and Winton. Really allows them to open up the outback while increasing charge speeds on the Bruce Highway.

While I would be overjoyed to see a 4 lane motorway for the entire Bruce, I think we will be lucky to see it reach Childers by 2035.

Absolutely looking forward to the Proserpine Evie and Childers Supercharger. Will make at least 2 hours difference for me. I still think I will need to stop twice at QESH, albeit for a shorter duration each stop. Will finally be able to do Townsville to Brisbane in one day without resorting to ridiculous amounts of the day spent on the trip.

Yeah they are not gonna do that because they dont think like us. The only thing they have replaced was the 50kw charger in Rockhampton because that one was originally not part of QESH and could just be started manually without paying for it.

What QESH should really do is make sure there are at least 2 (preferably 3-4) DC chargers at every stop. Power sharing is fine if the total power isn't there, but we really need the redundancy for confidence.

the issue is that QESH thinks that "15min is enough to gain so and so many kilometers". So for them a 2 car wait etc is ok.
They think 50kw charging is the only thing anyone ever needs.... And they dont care if you are stranded.
I once sent them an email ages ago about a DC charger being broken and they said "just use the AC charger. That one is working fine. We have 3 chargers per station". They just dont get it.