Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am yet to see a 350W charger actually set to 350W. All the ones I have seen are set to 175W per plug, which is obviously the maximum because no car can use two plugs at once.

Has anyone seen one of these actually set to 350W? I really want to try out this Raven battery which apparently can take up to 200W but cannot find a charger to test it on.

At the ones I have used the machine has specifically stated they are rated at 175KW. Nothing to do with the car it is plugged into.
You have to check the rating label on the machine to see what voltage and amperage it can deliver. A Tesla vehicle can only charge up to about 400VDC, so in theory, CCS can push 500A and reach 200kW. In reality, CCS in Europe can only achieve 180kW to just under 190kW on Model 3 Long Range cars. The battery packs on other Tesla vehicles can take less power than Model 3 LR.

Supercharger V3 can push about 700A into a Model 3 LR for short periods.

You are quite correct I meant HPWC for home AC. Thanks for the answer.

I think I have been getting a bit confused from looking at the plugshare "compatible plug" chart as depicted several posts back. The Tesla & Supercharger plugs on the LHS visually do not appear to fit into the CCS/SAE in the centre. The latter being the model 3 setup. I can see now if one flips the Tesla plug 180 degrees and allows for some exaggeration in the sketch it can be made to fit.
Plugshare is an American company, so they show the North American Tesla port for the Supercharger and "Tesla" connectors. At least they now show a Type-2 CCS port when you choose a region that uses that plug.

Chargefox sent out an email yesterday regarding the opening of their Sydney location (which has been live for a couple of weeks)

Within the email was the following info:

76941514_10158043889636042_8790890493962616832_n.jpg

(Goulburn and Launceston are new to this list - the other 5 sites were known to be under construction!)

Today this appeared on twitter:
B on Twitter

It's the Goulburn location - reported as 10 stalls but not sure if that is future expansion or something else!

Launceston is one of the few locations that does not have the address in their app, so still waiting on someone local to find it!

It's the Goulburn location - reported as 10 stalls but not sure if that is future expansion or something else!

These look like a perfect alternative to superchargers - but why are they choosing locations that are inconvenient? The Goulburn one is just off the highway, but at the Northern end of town. So you whatever direction you are travelling you are forced to meander through the town for a charge. The service stations on the other hand are right on the highway so you can hop on and hop off.

The other locations are the similar. There doesn't need to be a compromise for long distance EV travel anymore (not more than say 15 minutes anyway), but locating these chargers in places that require an extra 15 minutes of travel from main roads as well as charge time.... It is just silly. When the service stations start adding fast charge stalls (I believe BP has started in the UK), long distance travel will be a breeze. In the meantime, Chargefox - use your head, you are so close!

Reactions: mike_j
As DS P85D noted, it's disappointing that Chargefox didn't locate their chargers near the southern Freeway ramp adjacent to the Big Merino, Trappers Bakery, Olivers Fast Food and Service Stations. Driving through Goulburn for the Tesla Superchargers and now for the Chargefox ones near McDonalds on the northern outskirts of Goulburn adds 3 minutes to every journey (according to Google). The Wodonga Superchargers likely add 3-5 minutes versus a service centre located on the Freeway. In that regard the Barnwatha North Chargefox is a better option albeit ~1km off the freeway.

Locating of charging stations adjacent to freeway service centres should be first priority for those stations that are supporting long distance travel. Additional fast charging stations can be installed in town later to support local residents and tourists who aren't in a rush or want more food options.

As DS P85D noted, it's disappointing that Chargefox didn't locate their chargers near the southern Freeway ramp adjacent to the Big Merino, Trappers Bakery, Olivers Fast Food and Service Stations. Driving through Goulburn for the Tesla Superchargers and now for the Chargefox ones near McDonalds on the northern outskirts of Goulburn adds 3 minutes to every journey (according to Google). The Wodonga Superchargers likely add 3-5 minutes versus a service centre located on the Freeway. In that regard the Barnwatha North Chargefox is a better option albeit ~1km off the freeway.

Locating of charging stations adjacent to freeway service centres should be first priority for those stations that are supporting long distance travel. Additional fast charging stations can be installed in town later to support local residents and tourists who aren't in a rush or want more food options.
The Evie one at Marulan might be more to your liking. They seem to going for right on the highway sites.

The Evie one at Marulan might be more to your liking. They seem to going for right on the highway sites.

Agree with this. The charge network operators need to find a site that both has a co-operative host and sufficient electrical capacity. Not all sites are going to suit all people. I'm just thrilled that there are at least two companies building 350 kW charging networks in Australia!

However my statement stands, that neither of them give any indication of when their sites might be available

That's the same as Tesla. I can understand it - if you give a date then people might plan road trips that rely on that particular charger being activated. If something happens with the site host (negotiations fall through) or the power company (connection upgrade takes a long time) and they miss their date, then Chargefox gets all the blame.

I'm going to be in Launceston over Christmas, so can have a hunt around the obvious places if no one beats me to it.

Evan confirmed the suburb as Kings Meadows... and that equipment arrived on site on Monday... and I've just put the call out to the AEVA Tasmania group (300+ people, probably 100+ of them are in Launceston!). So I'd be surprised if I don't see photos soon :)

Reactions: Dave3333
Can't see it being Meadow Mews, way too many parking headaches there as it is. The oldies will ICE it every day of the year.
The Woolworths carpark seems more likely, possibly over toward the Kings Meadows hotel side.

Or they could surprise us and put it up at Bunnings in connector park but there's no facilities up there.