Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "giga" in gigafactory does refer to gigawatthour. But it can be argued just 1 GWh isn't enough to be called a gigafactory. It depends on when you go from refering to MWh to GWh.

If you look at for instance large nuclear reactors: EPR (nuclear reactor) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can see that instead of talking about GW, they consistently use MW, even as high as 9900 MW. This is because there are several significant digits - instead of saying 1.250 GW, you say 1250 MW. When you start using GW, you're bascially saying that everything behind the decimal mark is irrelevant. I would say that doesn't happen at 1.000 GW.

Personally, I think the point where you can start talking about a gigafactory is somewhere around 5 GWh of battery cell output. Whether you're talking about 5.0 GWh or 5.9 GWh is fairly unimportant, not like the difference beteen 1.0 and 1.9 GWh.

For starters getting rid of the ICE, all of its associated hardware like catalytic converter, and the complex hybrid stuff like transmissions.

This. Pure BEVs don't have to deal with all the legacy hardware of hybrids or PHEVs. That's not to take away from the software and battery tech sophistication of the Bolt, but from a hardware perspective, its much simpler.

The "giga" in gigafactory does refer to gigawatthour. But it can be argued just 1 GWh isn't enough to be called a gigafactory.

Certainly it's correct that the "prefix" giga- in Gigafactory has do do with production capacity in the gigawatt range.

But the premise of the article was that there was plans for a NA factory producing >= 1GWh, and thus it would be the first NA gigafactory.
Elon introduced the Gigafactory as a concept larger than anything else (including existing >1GWh factories around the world), and thus the premise of that article doesn't match the scale of what Elon is describing.

New info from USA Today:

• This really is the first car purposely built for ride sharing," says Fletcher...

• an exterior "that seems shrink-wrapped around the interior,"
  • provides rear-seat passengers with ample room for three;
  • large door openings and flat floors, which make entering and exiting the car easier;
  • on-board cameras that on command project an image of a wide field behind the car onto the car's rearview mirror,
  • self-sealing tires made by Michelin,
  • the armrest console closest to the rear passengers are two USB ports for those in need of a quick smartphone recharge.
  • Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility
  • Bolt's dash and door panels were covered in fabric, suggesting that more design work was being done on those parts of the vehicle.
  • One interesting feature Fletcher called "one-foot driving" took place when the automatic car was shifted from Drive to Low gear. In this setting, the regenerative braking force is stepped up significantly so that when the foot lifts off the accelerator the car immediately starts braking, a boon in stop-and-go traffic.

Chevy's Bolt EV designed with GM's new Lyft investment in mind

One-foot driving. "Interesting". :rolleyes:

You know it, I know it, any EV driver knows it.

Ordinary people reading USA Today don't know it.

They better damn well have a charging infrastructure announcement to go along with the car.

There was a new picture in the article:
635876039515019798-bolt.jpeg
Bold New Graphics! (Hyurrrrk!)

New info from USA Today:

This really is the first car purposely built for ride sharing," says Fletcher...

I call BS. I don't buy into this statement at all. She just said this because of their alliance with Lyft for good PR. Those vehicle traits simply apply to any modern (EV) car and are certainly not specific to just ride sharing. If you were only designing an affordable EV car for family or city use would you leave out those features? I think not. If they were really 'purposely built' for ride sharing they would have added thick plastic seat covers and a driver's protection cage inside :tongue: