Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Fiat-Chrysler is going to be in a lot of trouble in a couple of years. They have less to offer in the way of new technology compared to Ford and GM (as well as most of the rest of the world) and they have little to spare for R&D.

Makes sense, they're the ones that got their Jeep hacked... Over the air. As far as I am aware, owners had to bring the cars into the dealerships to get the fix. Wonder how many did and did not... How many vulnerable cars are out there?

Makes sense, they're the ones that got their Jeep hacked... Over the air. As far as I am aware, owners had to bring the cars into the dealerships to get the fix. Wonder how many did and did not... How many vulnerable cars are out there?

Very few now, in a practical sense. I believe the wireless carrier (Sprint?) also put some blocking in the attack path, to keep out the unwanted. But there would still be ways around that, for the determined.

Have you been in a Chrysler lately? They are horrible beyond belief. The interior feels like it is made by Fisher Price.
You take that back! Fisher Price makes some pretty good stuff!
As for Chrysler... *sigh* I have a Dodge Ram CT for work (basically a dodge caravan but without the rear seats or windows), What a piece of... ummm... yeah. Only another month or 2 and it's gone and I'll be using the Tesla for any driving I need to do, couldn't come soon enough!

Have you been in a Chrysler lately? They are horrible beyond belief. The interior feels like it is made by Fisher Price.

From about 1980 to the late 1990's all I had were Chrysler vehicles, and they were some of the best cars I ever owned. I soured on them when the Daimler "merger of equals" (really a takeover) happened. I do think the new Pacifica Hybrid minivan looks pretty good, though.

I have and the interiors have high quality materials vs the direct competition.

VW and Mazda have better quality materials but they cost more money.

Chrysler infotainment systems look good and are easy to use.

The issue with FCA is fuel economy,short term reliability and long term durability.

Bolt coming to Europe in 2017 as Opel Ampera-e

Opel-Ampera-e-front-side-view.jpg

Europes Chevrolet Bolt is the Opel Ampera-e

The big question is what will they price the Ampera-e in Europe?

Will they charge the US price plus shipping and 10% EU duty?

Will they do final assembly inside the EU to avoid the tariff? Seems a bit of a hassle for 3k-5k units.

If not ~48k Euros is sticker shock inducing.

LEAF 2.0 will not be far behind Ampera-e debut and being made in Europe gives the Nissan a distinct advantage.

Why Tesla sells cars on its own

Based on their Volt experience I'm sure GM is unsure about where and how this car will sell. 2019 is likely a very different EV landscape compared to 2017.

GM will fail with the Bolt because it doesn't know how to market EVs. We purchased a Chevy Volt back in 2011 before Model S was available to us. Love the car; hate the way the Chevrolet dealer handles electric cars. Throughout our ownership, we have received prompts to bring the car in for service based on engine use in an ICE, whereas we have about 10% engine use for life of car. Once, when the instrument panel failed, they replaced the unit without saving our energy data, which was therefore lost forever.

The latest was a letter we received yesterday trying to entice us to trade the Volt in for a new car. Did they offer the new Volt, the Spark EV, or even the Bolt? No, they showed us a big picture of a Chevy truck, telling us we could get BETTER MILEAGE! Until GM/Chevy understands how to sell EVs and how to rattle the chains (in a good way) of existing EV owners, the Bolt will fail.

Attachments

• Chevy letter.jpg
    Chevy letter.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 105
Well, EV enthusiasts will be able to cut through that crap. But in terms of converting ICE drivers, you're right. If gas remains cheap (which it looks like it will, at least in the near-mid term) people will easily be enticed into ICE cars with a lot of cash on the hood, or low finance offers. I've found dealers are generally pretty clueless about marketing, and just send out blanket bulk mailings that aren't micro-targeted toward specific customers or groups, just a general "SUPER SPRING BLOWOUT!! GET INCREDIBLE DEALS NOW!! UP TO $10,000+ OFF FULLSIZE TRUCKS!!"

The big question is what will they price the Ampera-e in Europe?

Will they charge the US price plus shipping and 10% EU duty?

Will they do final assembly inside the EU to avoid the tariff? Seems a bit of a hassle for 3k-5k units.

If not ~48k Euros is sticker shock inducing.

That was also why Ampera, in 2012, cost here 45.000 EUR, which was back then 61.000 US$. One has to wonder why it sold so bad.

• Disagree
Reactions: Edmond
Well, EV enthusiasts will be able to cut through that crap. But in terms of converting ICE drivers, you're right. If gas remains cheap (which it looks like it will, at least in the near-mid term) people will easily be enticed into ICE cars with a lot of cash on the hood, or low finance offers. I've found dealers are generally pretty clueless about marketing, and just send out blanket bulk mailings that aren't micro-targeted toward specific customers or groups, just a general "SUPER SPRING BLOWOUT!! GET INCREDIBLE DEALS NOW!! UP TO $10,000+ OFF FULLSIZE TRUCKS!!"

They'll cut through it, by just buying a Tesla instead :)

Anecdotally, most Leaf drivers I talk to are waiting for a Model 3.

The question is; does VW and Nissan market EVs any better?

Because that is GM Bolt's real competition not Tesla.

Nissan does. For one, a level 3 charger at a Nissan dealership is a common sight in most US cities. I have some sort of Nissan rewards program that has special benefits for EVs (instead of the normal free oil changes or whatever).

My own city also has three Nissan dealerships that carry Leafs, and one that carries Volts.