Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Bolt is a pretty small car.... do you really want to go more than 93 mph :D

I am curious, is there anyone on the forum that is considering getting a Bolt? My TDI will be going to the glue factory soon and I need a tweener car until the Model 3 comes out and buying/leasing an ICE doesn't feel right now that I am EV spoiled.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
The Bolt is a pretty small car.... do you really want to go more than 93 mph :D

I am curious, is there anyone on the forum that is considering getting a Bolt? My TDI will be going to the glue factory soon and I need a tweener car until the Model 3 comes out and buying/leasing an ICE doesn't feel right now that I am EV spoiled.
My exact situation. still debating timing. i am 80% sure I'm going with the bolt. want to test drive first, though. trying to figure out best way to get into m3. 3yr lease bolt, put 1k reservation now? or will 3 yrs be enough time where i won't need a reservation . i am current owner, but if i make reservation and I'm not ready to buy cuz my lease isnt up, do i lose my place? or keep tdi until dec 2018, will i be able to get m3 if i make reservation now? or will i be carless cuz i have to wait my turn into 2019?so hard to decide

You must have unusually short legs and a long torso. I'm 5.8 feet with a ratio of shorter legs and longer torso
My torso/legs ratio may be in favor of the torso, but not "unusually" much so. And it was not like it was cramped and I had to bend my neck, just that I felt the roof in my hair (and I do not have to much of the later... :p ) and on my head when sitting straight up in the backseat. I could easly be sitting there for a longer trip, the roofing would just be irritating, not directly troublesome. The bending to enter and exit the backseat was more of a problem then the roof height when sitting there.

Suit yourself, but I wouldn't worry about "pushing" an EV to its electronically-governed limit. I doubt there's anything magic about 93 mph, they just chose a nice round number. It's not going to be like redlining an ICE.

Yes, it's 150 kph and it's not the only car I've seen with the 93mph limiter sold in the US. IIRC some trucks have the same number.

I was heading to work in my X and passed a Bolt. I went whoa..threw an immediate u-turn, chased it down. The guy gave me a ride and I am totally impressed. The inside is way more roomy then expected. The tech and features are extremely impressive. the power is plenty to have a blast driving, I would compare it to Rav4 EV power. Aside from the drive by appearance the inside, drive and tech features are more then enough to enjoy the EV experience. The seats were comfy too.

Suit yourself, but I wouldn't worry about "pushing" an EV to its electronically-governed limit. I doubt there's anything magic about 93 mph, they just chose a nice round number. It's not going to be like redlining an ICE.
Why not? Electric motors are also limited to certain RPMs. But I think 93mph is limited by the tire speed rating. 93 just happens to be exactly "P" speed rating.

• Informative
Reactions: gene
Why not? Electric motors are also limited to certain RPMs. But I think 93mph is limited by the tire speed rating. 93 just happens to be exactly "P" speed rating.
The Bolt EV tires have an 'H' (130 mph) speed rating. I took this photo of a production ready Bolt tire at a car show a few days ago.

IMG_1642.jpg

Happy to see good press for the Bolt, however this does seem to be a bit of revisionist history:

Seven years before Tesla was founded, in 1996, GM engineers spent more than $1 billion to develop the world’s best electric car. It was a stunner called the EV1, and it was beautifully engineered, breathtakingly aerodynamic and affordably priced.

But it only sold a few hundred copies a year, and when GM made a business decision to cut its losses and take the cars back when leases ran out, it was attacked instead of being congratulated for having the courage to make a huge bet on EV technology. That was almost a knockout punch for GM’s EV efforts.

Disillusioned with battery-electric vehicles, GM spent billions developing hydrogen-powered fuel cells and hybrid-electric powertrains for buses and fullsize SUVs.

That probably tells you that the Volt didn't really require 94's although I have not checked to compare the rated cargo weight and weight balance aspects.
If I remember correctly, US Volts1 came with Goodyear 93's and had some sidewall blowouts - at least I read some reports on gm-volt forum - and were upgraded to 94s.
In Europe, Ampera initially came with Michelin Energy Saver tires rated as 94 and had no sidewall blowouts.