Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comfort Suspension Not Much of an Improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd love to get some targeted feedback on my specifics:

I've got a 22MYP that I put onto the 19" Geminis with Hankook Ion Evo AS SUV tires.

On smoother pavement, the stock non-Comfort suspension is fine. But when the pavement gets rough, it's incredibly unsettled. Lots of jarring movements over sharp bumps and it's just totally unrefined, especially in the rear seats.

It doesn't sound like the comfort suspension really does too much against this - does it feel more jittery? What aspects, specifically, are more dampened?

I'd love to get some targeted feedback on my specifics:

I've got a 22MYP that I put onto the 19" Geminis with Hankook Ion Evo AS SUV tires.

On smoother pavement, the stock non-Comfort suspension is fine. But when the pavement gets rough, it's incredibly unsettled. Lots of jarring movements over sharp bumps and it's just totally unrefined, especially in the rear seats.

It doesn't sound like the comfort suspension really does too much against this - does it feel more jittery? What aspects, specifically, are more dampened?
MYP isn’t the same exact setup as LR since it’s lowered, so I would suspect MYP is rougher than LR even with the updated suspension. LR with updated suspension is a lot better than previous model in my opinion.

MYP isn’t the same exact setup as LR since it’s lowered, so I would suspect MYP is rougher than LR even with the updated suspension. LR with updated suspension is a lot better than previous model in my opinion.
True and I'd expect that - a performance suspension is likely to be rougher than it's Touring counterpart.

But I'm curious as to whether the MYP Comfort suspension is actually an improvement or not over the old school MYP suspension, given that almost everyone panned the original MYLR and MYP suspensions for being stupid firm.

True and I'd expect that - a performance suspension is likely to be rougher than it's Touring counterpart.

But I'm curious as to whether the MYP Comfort suspension is actually an improvement or not over the old school MYP suspension, given that almost everyone panned the original MYLR and MYP suspensions for being stupid firm.
That’s what I meant by post. They updated suspension in both as far as I know. MYP is rougher both pre and post update because it’s lower. There are other posts on here with MYP owners commenting on ride pre and post the update. So it seems it has gotten better but it’s still not a soft ride in the MYP.

My own test drives (in this thread) gave the impression the MYP "comfort" suspension was improved over the old MYP suspension w/o adding any negatives.
It is, however, still considerably firmer than the MYLR comfort suspension. You can tell that in the first 50 feet of driving. I do like that it has less "motion sickness inducing side to side movement" than the MYLR comfort suspension when in the rear seats...note: I experienced the same motion sickness in the rear seats of the 2022 MYLR we rented on Turo for 2 days too.

My own test drives (in this thread) gave the impression the MYP "comfort" suspension was improved over the old MYP suspension w/o adding any negatives.
It is, however, still considerably firmer than the MYLR comfort suspension. You can tell that in the first 50 feet of driving. I do like that it has less "motion sickness inducing side to side movement" than the MYLR comfort suspension when in the rear seats...note: I experienced the same motion sickness in the rear seats of the 2022 MYLR we rented on Turo for 2 days too.

This is helpful thanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're saying that the MYP comfort suspension is an all around improvement, though still not perfect and not as comfortable as MYLR (to be expected).

Are there any "new" issues with the MYP comfort suspension, like the motion sickness or increased wobbling?

Reactions: WyoDude
This is helpful thanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're saying that the MYP comfort suspension is an all around improvement, though still not perfect and not as comfortable as MYLR (to be expected).

Are there any "new" issues with the MYP comfort suspension, like the motion sickness or increased wobbling?
I didn't detect any "new" issues with the MYP comfort (but it had been a while since I test drove the old MYP). Honestly, your best bet is to schedule a few test drives of each...or even better, rent one (of each?) for a day...not "free" but a hugely beneficial investment as you can drive the cars over the roads YOU frequent every day. I've rented an original Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y LR, and Polestar 2 over the years...beyond all the various test drives. Beyond ride comfort, you get to see if things like rear visibility, seats, cargo space, etc. will all work for you. You may notice stuff like "hey the white interior has parts that reflect off the windshield when I drive into the sun", etc. If you have a spouse, let them drive it too while you ride in passenger seat and in the back, etc.

MYP or any P version cars should not have soft suspension.
Yes - my issue is with the suspension in my MYLR. It’s worse than any ‘sport’ suspension I’ve driven. (I was riding my bike a few months ago and actually noticed how similar the suspensions felt - except my bike doesn’t have a suspension. If I wanted to feel every grain of sand on the road I would have bought the MYP.

MPP does an amazing job of softening. When I roll over a dime, I can't tell if it's heads or tails, but I still know I rolled over a dime!!! (I LIKE it that way!)

OF COURSE, I'm exaggerating! It's a JOKE! MPP Coilovers do exactly what they say they do. They make the suspension BETTER in every way, but it still won't be "soft" enough for everyone!

Yes - my issue is with the suspension in my MYLR. It’s worse than any ‘sport’ suspension I’ve driven. (I was riding my bike a few months ago and actually noticed how similar the suspensions felt - except my bike doesn’t have a suspension. If I wanted to feel every grain of sand on the road I would have bought the MYP.
Edit: to be clear, I think a stiff/firm/harsh suspension makes sense (or is at least more acceptable) in a performance model car. The LR versions should be geared more towards regular driving.

If I’m not mistaken your in a 2020 which lots of people complained about. The updated suspension seems to be much better from posts on here, reviews and my experience.

Just get the M3P 20in uberturbine wheels, and put vredstein tires on them.... no more rough ride where you feel everything, but the car will still handle great.

Plus, great tracking in snow / rain / summer, etc., and they will sit about .5 inches proud! (Which will protect your rims...)

If I’m not mistaken your in a 2020 which lots of people complained about. The updated suspension seems to be much better from posts on here, reviews and my experience.
Yes, I haven’t had the occasion to drive a newer MY to verify it for myself but I’ve heard that. It’s a welcome improvement if true.

(It also makes liars out of all the people who responded to my complaints about ride quality by saying it had to be that way because of Teslas weight and acceleration and couldn’t be improved. )

Reactions: WyoDude
No one lied to you. Those that said that the weight/acceleration dictated the firmer suspension are basing this on their opinion, maybe even preference, that the weight/horsepower REQUIRES a firmer suspension.

The current consensus is that the newer suspension is indeed softer. There are also those that have posted that the softer suspension doesn't feel as stable as the original suspension.

Opinions aren't really lies, are they? ;)
(It also makes liars out of all the people who responded to my complaints about ride quality by saying it had to be that way because of Teslas weight and acceleration and couldn’t be improved. )

I didn't detect any "new" issues with the MYP comfort (but it had been a while since I test drove the old MYP). Honestly, your best bet is to schedule a few test drives of each...or even better, rent one (of each?) for a day...not "free" but a hugely beneficial investment as you can drive the cars over the roads YOU frequent every day. I've rented an original Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y LR, and Polestar 2 over the years...beyond all the various test drives. Beyond ride comfort, you get to see if things like rear visibility, seats, cargo space, etc. will all work for you. You may notice stuff like "hey the white interior has parts that reflect off the windshield when I drive into the sun", etc. If you have a spouse, let them drive it too while you ride in passenger seat and in the back, etc.

I miss the overnight drives that TSLA offered. I guess TURO is worth it. They should bring it back now that they have so much inventory. or offer them as loaners as the other co.s do.

I ended up test driving a 23 MYP with the 21" Uberturbines last night.

Compared to my 22 MYP on 19" Geminis:
  • The unsettled jitteriness over even slightly uneven or rough pavement continues to persist
  • The initial shock from bump, pothole, or outcropping in the pavement is noticeably more muted on the Performance Comfort suspension, even on the 21s
I think I'm going to end up ordering the MYP Comfort suspension given this - all in all, it felt equal in many cases to the "old" suspension, but on 19s. In some ways, it felt better. So I can only assume that the Performance Comfort suspension on 19s will be a noticeable improvement.

Still though - kept thinking that it doesn't come close to comparing to the iX or Q8 E-Tron I've test driven.