Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity: service plan/upgradability/speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought Tesla always said that the "service feed" would be provided regardless of whether an owner purchased web service, so that they could push firmware updates and monitor the vehicle. Is this no longer true? I hope Tesla is not changing tunes in the middle.

I don't trust anything that a Tesla rep says anymore. There is just a massive amount of misinformation amongst the Tesla employees. The collective knowledge here is vastly more reliable.

Tesla's service feed is free of charge and cannot be removed.

The data connection for maps, web browsing, internet radio, etc. will cost us. We don't yet know how much.

I do hope there is the option to tether to our phone or wifi at home...
I already pay a ton for data every month. Plus the option to choose data service from different carriers and higher speeds (LTE) would be awesome.
There are parts of Atlanta that have awesome verizon coverage and poor at&t and also vice versa - thats why I have an at&t phone and a verizon ipad....

I am hoping that Verizon will allow me to add my Tesla as another data device like my Ipad which only costs me an additional $10/month.

The Tesla is based off of GSM, and SIM cards. And we are all pretty sure no LTE. So Verizon and Sprint are out for sure. Everyone suspects Tesla is using ATT. If you could swap the SIM card, and it is compatible with T-Mobile frequencies (T-Mobile is moving to match ATT for everything) you might be able to swing T-Mobile.

But you are pretty much stuck with ATT or Tesla. However Tesla does it.

I am hoping that Verizon will allow me to add my Tesla as another data device like my Ipad which only costs me an additional $10/month.

Assuming that the car will one day be able to connect to a WiFi data source, I would think that you would could just have a Verizon "MiFi" device in the car for the data. But, I am hoping that Tesla isn't planning to charge $10/month or more.

Assuming that the car will one day be able to connect to a WiFi data source, I would think that you would could just have a Verizon "MiFi" device in the car for the data. But, I am hoping that Tesla isn't planning to charge $10/month or more.

MiFi or straight wi-fi tethering to your smartphone. I still have unlimited data with hotspot on my phone. I'd really like to use it for data since it won't cost me anything additional, and I'll get LTE speeds.

A

TESLA is not charging anything... The carrier will be charging.

You don't pay apple to use your phone do you? You pay ___(insert carrier name here)____.

If wifi is enabled it the assumption is that a MiFi would work, but it may prove more expensive after TESLA negotiates the rate with the carrier and what you plan to use the connection to do.

Presumably you will have at least two choices:

1. Paying the Tesla arranged data plan.

2. Using WiFi to connect to your phone (set up as a hot spot) and paying the carrier on your plan.

TESLA is not charging anything... The carrier will be charging.

You don't pay apple to use your phone do you? You pay ___(insert carrier name here)____.
There was talk of Tesla buying up blocks (of capacity or whatever) and then carving up pieces to sell to customers directly. In this sense, we would be paying Tesla directly.

Tesla's service feed is free of charge and cannot be removed.

The data connection for maps, web browsing, internet radio, etc. will cost us. We don't yet know how much.

Probably no one knows yet, but I'm wondering if the basic "service feed" will work with the smartphone app for pre-heating. scheduling etc. or will we need the optional data connection for that.

Probably no one knows yet, but I'm wondering if the basic "service feed" will work with the smartphone app for pre-heating. scheduling etc. or will we need the optional data connection for that.

Several sources I've seen have mentioned that the iPhone app will work over the "free", included connection. (Very little data transfer). So everyone will be able to use it, even if you opt to not get a data plan. (Again, this is what I've seen reported in several places on this site).

Several sources I've seen have mentioned that the iPhone app will work over the "free", included connection. (Very little data transfer). So everyone will be able to use it, even if you opt to not get a data plan. (Again, this is what I've seen reported in several places on this site).

That would be ideal. I would probably prefer to tether my phone when in the car, but that wouldn't do me much good vis a vis remote warm up if I have my phone with me when away from the car!