Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports gives the Model S a low reliability rating "44" out of a 100?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reliability ranking is based on the entire model history, not just one year. As the Model S continues to improve over the years, the early VIN issues will eventually fall off the chart and the number should go up.
I agree with this. The abysmal reliability of the early cars drags down the entire Tesla score (shouldn't the aggregate scores be weighted by the sales volumes of the various years?). My 2016 has not had any significant problems.

Most of Tesla issues are early life issues (bathtub curve). CPO do not share the same issues as new cars and should not be lumped together when discussing reliability.

I feel older cars should be lumped in with new ones when we are talking overall reliability. Most new cars from any manufacturer have very few problems in their first year. So by that stick, every manufacturer makes reliable cars. You don't really see how actually reliable a car model is until you are several years into ownership and since most people own cars for 5 years, how well those 2013 and 2014 cars are holding up is still relevant.

Like it or not, Tesla has yet to prove their long-term reliability. We won't know for a few years how much better the 2016s are holding up than a 2014 or a 2012.

Similar story here. After a few service visits in 2013 - most of which were for FREE UPGRADES rather than fixing something broken - our 2012 has been a very good car. It compares favorably to our 2015. I know other pleased 2012 owners. Definitely not the case that all early cars sucked.

They might (?) have been statistically worse, but a lot of individual cars are great. Of course, that is part of the problem with this type of reliability statistics - even cars with poor ratings can still have most customers be happy, because average problem rates have plummeted over the past few decades. Mist cars just don't have problems these days, so the reliability figures mean less for most customer's experience.

Like it or not, Tesla has yet to prove their long-term reliability. We won't know for a few years how much better the 2016s are holding up than a 2014 or a 2012.
I agree, with a caveat: Tesla is unusual in having a rate of change far above competing manufacturers. The reliability metric works well for GM or Honda, and is not very informative for Tesla.

Last edited:
Does it surprise you to find that any result is a perfect fit for at least someone ?
When you use the same metrics that meet a common denominator for the classes you are testing against, over time the results become more reliable and caparative. That goes for the cars Tesla was measured against. If you compare that subjectively to people you know and things you read that come to the same conslusuon you can have even more confidence in the results. There's nothing in CU's findings that surprises most people.

• Helpful
Reactions: Troy
Fact is they have worked on it and to a degree that the current rating doesn't in fact accurately describe current reliability.

What is "current reliability"?

Reliability data must be historical and so cannot absolutely predict quality of newest production. Reliability of this month's production can't be known for another year or two, or three.

Reactions: cwerdna and Tazman
What is "current reliability"?

Reliability data must be historical and so cannot absolutely predict quality of newest production. Reliability of this month's production can't be known for another year or two, or three.

Well said. The 2016 that seem reliable now may end up in service centers a year from now. We don't know that yet.

This score (44) is the reliability index based on the readers' survey. It is a different number than the road test score for which the Model S was ranked as the highest scoring vehicle ever and resulted in changes to the index (from what I recall). Great to drive, but not ranked by owners as the most reliable vehicle ever. No news here.

Last edited:
Grouping Tesla cars (Model X or Model S) by model year is a FAIL by Consumer Reports and bound to result in inaccurate information. Where other manufacturer's rarely make substantial adjustments during same model year Tesla does plenty in a month.
You could group data in many different ways, as long as you have enough data. For manufacturers that have consistently high scores that doesn't matter, however for low overall reliability sometimes breaking down the data helps buyers identify patterns. A long time ago I remember someone calculated reliability data for Hyundai cars manufactured by day and it turned out cars manufacturers on Tuesdays were twice as reliable (statistically) than ones made on any Friday. Once their manufacturing quality improved, that data wasn't useful anymore.

Reporting by smaller groupings runs into many issues. Biggest issue is sample size - not enough data even if they managed to poll all the cars. Tesla makes improvements every week, so should the stats be collected by week? How many survey respondents do you think you need per week of VIN's to get statistically meaningful results? Even if they got every VIN owner to respond, how useful is it to know that cars from first half of January are more reliable than from second half May, but less reliable than from June, but only in 2016, in 2015 it was the opposite? To illustrate problems with small sample size, I've owned 2 Model S, and my 2015 had many more service center visits than 2013 (nothing serious, but still). Based on just those 2 cars I could conclude the quality is getting worse. Annual grouping provides trend averaging. If Tesla is consistently improving quality, then their score will go up.

Consumer Reports almost never gives high scores to high end products. A good discussion of this is in this gardenweb thread.
They rated the Tesla Model S in 2014 and 2015 "Best Car Ever". It had the highest "buy" recommendation they've ever had for two years. In fact it was one of the reasons many of us bought it during that time. Last year CU said Tesla's P90DL had the highest performance ratings of any car they have ever tested. It broke their testing methodology. I bring this up because it doesn't fit the statement "Consumer Reports almost never gives high scores to high end products." I think what happened is over time the 2012, 2013, 2014 cars started going into the shop and reported problems while at the same time Tesla started improving on their side in 2015 and 2016.

Reactions: Troy and OBX John