Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There needs to be a congressional investigation into the decision to not use the WHO tests. That decision reeks of somebody getting a kick back or trying to do some insider trading. (perhaps Kushner's brother who owns a testing co). The lack of testing is costing lives and countless billions in damage to the economy.

FWIW, I have some mild symptoms today that could be representative of Covid-19. Fever, chest tightness, some coughing. I was told to stay home and hydrate rather than get tested.

Where are you that they won't test you. I live in NYS and they seem to be testing a lot. Someone I work with had a fever and was able to get tested, and we live in a County that has only 1 confirmed case. So not even a hot spot and she hadn't even traveled anywhere.

Where are you that they won't test you. I live in NYS and they seem to be testing a lot. Someone I work with had a fever and was able to get tested, and we live in a County that has only 1 confirmed case. So not even a hot spot and she hadn't even traveled anywhere.
Kansas City. We need to be testing millions of people. Then we can isolate or move on with our lives.

Reactions: jerry33
Vents need to have settings customized for each user. Specifically lung volume and derivatives of that. I do not believe that a centralized solution would be feasable.

since there's talk of DIYing these things (for various level of what DIY may mean) - where can we start reading about how to set these up (the standard ones), what cautions or training people need to be aware of, and any thoughts on how to auto-set them?

I'm up for a challenge. I have a significant hw/sw workshop at home and can create circuits pretty quick. I lack the understanding of what a 'vent' is, exactly, and wondering if there is a fast-path to get up to speed. there must be, even if its created by people who want to cut thru the red-tape and distill the info to the bare essentials.

maybe the different tasks can be done by separate people in their home workshops.

first step may be to create a subforum or something where it can be discussed and some kind of plan or architecture be developed, followed by prototypes and hopefully, eventual testing.

I'm game.

since there's talk of DIYing these things (for various level of what DIY may mean) - where can we start reading about how to set these up (the standard ones), what cautions or training people need to be aware of, and any thoughts on how to auto-set them?

I'm up for a challenge. I have a significant hw/sw workshop at home and can create circuits pretty quick. I lack the understanding of what a 'vent' is, exactly, and wondering if there is a fast-path to get up to speed. there must be, even if its created by people who want to cut thru the red-tape and distill the info to the bare essentials.

maybe the different tasks can be done by separate people in their home workshops.

first step may be to create a subforum or something where it can be discussed and some kind of plan or architecture be developed, followed by prototypes and hopefully, eventual testing.

I'm game.

mechanical-ventilation-for-dummies

Overview of Mechanical Ventilation - Critical Care Medicine - Merck Manuals Professional Edition

https://getinge.training/DesktopModules/Documents/ViewDocument.aspx?AddToLog=1&DocumentID=1903

https://www.nursingcenter.com/getat...nd-Basic-Modes-Tip-Card_January-2019.pdf.aspx

https://www.johnshopkinssolutions.c...10/4-Understanding-Mechanical-Ventilation.pdf

That's a quick google search on the subject that should start as a primer.

Just bear in mind that the lungs can be damaged from repeated over-inflation, so while they are relatively simple machines, they are what I would call "highly precise" in the volumes of air and rates of delivery of that air. Not sure I would want to be the first person to try out someone's DIY vent.

understood, and thanks.

I'm wondering (I'll start reading) is there is a way to make it easy to 'set' so that some feedback from the patient can auto-regulate the air flow or whatever params are needed.

first step is to understand the problem domain, what the dangers are, how the current designs work and how to best develop prototypes that can be tested (somehow).

don't know if this can go anywhere, but there's lot of tech people with tons of time on their hands. why not try?

Reactions: Jetex Jim

According to this morning's Reuter's story, last night there were 8K people tested. Full article here: New York expects spike in coronavirus cases after big batch of overnight tests

"NEW YORK, March 19 (Reuters) - The state of New York tested 8,000 people for the coronavirus overnight in what may be the largest batch of testing to date in the United States, likely leading to a spike in positive cases once results come in, Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Thursday.....

“I think the spread of the virus is well in advance of any of these numbers,” Cuomo told MSNBC television. “We did 8,000 overnight, which is one of the largest number I think ever done in the country. We haven’t gotten this morning’s tally, but you’re going to see a jump astronomically - I have no doubt - because we did so many tests.”....

As a result, the state may see 110,000 hospitalizations and about 25,000 to 37,000 people needing intensive care unit beds at peak time in five to six weeks, the governor projected."

FWIW, I have some mild symptoms today that could be representative of Covid-19. Fever, chest tightness, some coughing. I was told to stay home and hydrate rather than get tested.
Even if you tested positive you'd be told to stay home and hydrate.

The reason to test is so the authorities can force you stay home. And probably your entire family as well. And so they can track and test all your contacts over the past week. Probably using your phone's location data, once they get some technical assistance from Google/Facebook/etc.

The reason to test is so the authorities can force you stay home. And probably your entire family as well. And so they can track and test all your contacts over the past week. Probably using your phone's location data, once they get some technical assistance from Google/Facebook/etc.

btw: there are a number of delivery services that can deliver water/other products to your doorstep so you can honor the isolation. Fiji, ReadyRefresh, AquaMaestro to name three that deliver a high number of products.

Now I know HCQ is definitely a bitcoin scam. Oh well. Will just wait for the RCTs in Nature.

upload_2020-3-19_14-46-36.png

That's not the point. The point is that if I tested positive then I know I'd be ok to go out in 2 weeks, or go volunteer or whatever. If I'm negative then I don't have to worry about infecting family. Now I don't know so I have to make uninformed decisions.

US testing has been a massive failure. The contrast to some other developed nations is incredible.

Update from Florida....private testing now higher than the state.

390 cases, mostly in Miami-date, Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach. Sadly, Covid-19 is now found in 19 nursing homes.

https://floridadisaster.org/globalassets/covid-19-data---daily-report-2020-03-18-1708.pdf

btw: my wife's doctor has been bombarded with prescribing hydroxychloroquine. Her response:
  1. This medication is presently used by those with lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. It would be dangerous if these patients on the medication chronically could not get their refills because of a national shortage. Until the medication is approved for use in coronavirus by the CDC, I cannot prescribe it.

Update from Florida....private testing now higher than the state.

390 cases, mostly in Miami-date, Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach. Sadly, Covid-19 is now found in 19 nursing homes.

https://floridadisaster.org/globalassets/covid-19-data---daily-report-2020-03-18-1708.pdf

btw: my wife's doctor has been bombarded with prescribing hydroxychloroquine. Her response:
  1. This medication is presently used by those with lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. It would be dangerous if these patients on the medication chronically could not get their refills because of a national shortage. Until the medication is approved for use in coronavirus by the CDC, I cannot prescribe it.

Prescribing it to do what? Just to have on hand? It's not some med you can take without some monitoring first especially if you're old.

Reactions: BornToFly