Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's really no point in counting cases in the US. We've made no effort to stop the spread with vigilant testing and quarantine, so it'll just infect nearly "everyone". 50-100M people or so in the US.
Why 50-100M if population 330M? Agree, current trend is to nearly infect everyone. Suspect the less than 1/3rd infected is because the non thorough quarantine will have some affect.

Last edited:
I sure hope you're wrong about that! The market clearly thinks you are wrong!

I don't want to die. Yet.

I absolutely don't think it is too late to control the outbreak. You can control it anytime, in fact, with proper physical distancing and travel restrictions nationwide. It is too late to avoid a hospital debacle though.
I'm sure this lockdown has flattened the curve to a small degree, but the spread is in full swing now and it will get everywhere. Counting 80k "cases" when we know 500k to millions are already infected is pointless.

People have been testing positive all over Pennsylvania, plenty of people who've been on relative lockdowns in places like nursing homes. It's everywhere and will kill .03-.15%(just guessing obviously) of those eventually infected, hopefully infections are on the low end and so is mortality.

We sure love rolling the dice in this country!
Climate change? No big deal.
Brand new virus? F*** testing!

So from that data, it looks like in order to call the outbreak controlled, we'll need to have testing capacity in the US of about 0.05% of the population per day (165k tests per day), and we'll want to drive the positive rate from that testing below 0.5%.
This is a very insightful article on what testing is actually needed to help manage the pandemic. Retweeted by Marc Lipsitch.

We need testing to be done in a surveillance framework that lets us interpret trends -excellent points from Zeke Emanuel and @Farzad_MD

We need smart coronavirus testing, not just more testing - STAT

Counting 80k "cases" when we know 500k to millions are already infected is pointless.

You're more pessimistic than me. At this moment, I suspect no more than 350k cumulative cases in the US.

But it's not pointless if you actually lock those uncounted ~200k cases in place for a couple weeks. It really helps! And it preserves most of the population so that we can keep our food supply intact. (There should be regular testing available during the shutdown to those who are on the frontlines or serving the public so that spread can be prevented in those populations.)

It's everywhere and will kill .03-.15%(just guessing obviously) of those eventually infected,

There's literally no evidence for this number you keep speaking of.

Saw this interesting stat from LizSly on Twitter:

'The world is "not winning" the coronavirus battle. It took 2 months for the first 100,000 cases, 12 days for the next 100,000, 4 days for the 3rd & 1.5 for the 4th. "This is exponential growth" - UN chief Guterres to the G20 today.'

• Informative
Reactions: Thekiwi and Lessmog
Completely anecdotal here, so take it at face value. My wife's close friend here in SD has family in Wuhan. She says she doesn't believe the numbers being reported at all. She doesn't have any hard evidence for that, just what her family tells here there when they talk.
Which numbers? Is the claim that it's still spreading uncontrolled? Or that the the total case number is way too low? That is almost certainly true since people were locked in their homes and probably didn't want to come out unless they got extremely sick.

People have been testing positive all over Pennsylvania, plenty of people who've been on relative lockdowns in places like nursing homes. It's everywhere and will kill .03-.15%(just guessing obviously) of those eventually infected, hopefully infections are on the low end and so is mortality.
I'm still waiting for to say where you got your SARS fatality rate! Maybe that would help us understand how you're coming up with what appears to be an impossibly low number for SARS-Cov-2.

Coronavirus Heroes Are Getting Tossed From Their Homes by Scared Landlords

Anna Jones* had just finished her shift at St. Rose Hospital in Las Vegas, where she works as an emergency-room nurse, when she received an email from her landlord labeled “Quick Action Needed.” Her landlord—a quiet, older woman who lived downstairs from Jones and her husband—informed her that she would need to vacate the premises within 24 hours. The reason, she said, was COVID-19.

“I don’t want interaction or debate over this decision,” the landlord wrote in emails reviewed by The Daily Beast. “I’m sorry for the abrupt notice, but given the situation, it’s the choice I’m making to protect myself.”

“Honestly, it’s devastating,” Jones told The Daily Beast this week. “I was just really heartbroken and just felt like, ‘How could somebody treat me like this, all because I’m a nurse?’”

• Informative
Reactions: Bet TSLA and DanCar
Which numbers? Is the claim that it's still spreading uncontrolled? Or that the the total case number is way too low? That is almost certainly true since people were locked in their homes and probably didn't want to come out unless they got extremely sick.

Total case number is too low, and that it is still spreading faster than the officially reported numbers.

Reactions: dfwatt
Total case number is too low, and that it is still spreading faster than the officially reported numbers.
I actually believe they have it under control. What would be the motivation for falsely claiming that? Didn't they try that early on in the outbreak and it didn't work out very well? There would be no way for them to hide it if it was spreading exponentially throughout China.

Looks like the USA is about to eclipse China any minute now.

USA 80,854 +12,643
Active Cases: 77,827
Just 400 below China. May be WA numbers will put US over the top - weird how it works.

ps : 7 states with 500+ new cases today. NY, NJ, IL, MI, MA, PA, LA. Missing from the list - early hot spots of WA & CA - who instituted lockdowns sooner.

Last edited: