Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Missouri saw a 600% increase in cases last week and they still don't have a statewide stay at home order.

The 50 states doing it piecemeal, at different times, with different degrees, will serve to dramatically prolong and maintain the outbreak as the virus returns to previously quarantined areas. The Federal government should have declared a nationwide lockdown weeks ago now. As it is, large swathes of the US are still operating as if nothing is happening.

I think we'll be dealing with this through the end of the year because of the sheer incompetence of the Federal government combined with American Exceptionalism™ preventing nationwide measures which could actually contain the outbreak. This is why the 1918 Spanish Flu was such a disaster for America, we're just repeating the mistakes of a century ago.

Social distancing was never well explained. It slows down transmission when you do it, but until you have a vaccine or herd immunity, it will start to come back when you relax social distancing. It's like hitting the brakes from time to time when coasting down a mountain, you don't want to stop the car entirely, or get going too fast, so you pump the brakes.
Missouri saw a 600% increase in cases last week and they still don't have a statewide stay at home order.

After what will be 4 weeks April 7th here and what I see being extended in the SF Bay area until at least May 1, that’s what worries me. When relaxed, a spiking up and more infections then happening weeks after infection and this cycle that gets created. Hopefully by that time everyone will be able to have some access to masks at least and testing will be easier to come by.

Missouri — It is the Show Me State if I’m not mistaken.

I cannot follow you labeling, so an example:
If the total cases over 3 days are 100, 120, 144

Then the growth rate was steady at 1.2 because
144/120 = 1.2
or
120/100 = 1.2

We are talking about the same formula, which I used for the infection rate growth calculation.

So with your example it's either :
144/120-1=20% / 120/100-1=20%
Or:
22/120=20% / 20/100=20%

This figure is steadily decreasing in Europe to single digits at the moment. The US is also decreasing steadily. Of course, measurement error in the data seems to be present (not enough test volume growth)

The University of Washington has done projections for the peak in each state and how many beds and ICU beds will be needed. Some states are going to be disasters.

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

I think they're underestimating what's going to happen in some states that are just getting started. But it's probably pretty accurate for states well into their outbreaks.

CBS news story about middle American smaller states looking for supplies to get ready:

Rural-state governors tell Trump they need tests, medical supplies — CBS News

I posted a map a few days ago, from Kaiser Hospital News possibly, of the counties in the US and where there were fewer hospitals/beds/ICUs; and as expected the majority of these lowest areas were in the middle America and rural states. The fact these state governors are now experiencing Confirmed cases in their state and are way behind in seeking out and obtaining what will be necessary equipment and supplies I’m sure is at this point a frightening time for them seeing from other areas what lies ahead. At least now more inventory is becoming available so they have that working in their favor.

So Dear Leader is right, the midwest states are hoarding when NY needs them now? ;)

Keeping this thread alive

Have some of the rest of you noticed the significant lack of "like," "love," "helpful," and "informative" ratings given in this thread in recent days? I have. I think one reason for it is that the quality of the posts have declined. Let's work together to try to improve the quality of this thread. If we don't, people simply avoid it because it becomes too much work to find a worthwhile post and the potential good that can happen here vanishes.

I hope to live by these suggestions too, so here goes...
* Don't treat this thread as a personal message board. If you're posting half a dozen times a day in the thread and not receiving much positive feedback for your efforts, cut back... you're a big part of the problem.

* Don't snipe. Sniping is when you toss some short, sarcastic comment at someone else's post, often to get a laugh from your buddies who feel similar to you. You're wasting our time. The original poster then feels compelled to respond to the snipe and now we're doubly wasting energy. If you truly disagree with something in a post, come right out and identify what it is that you don't like and offer (if possible) a more suitable alternative. What you'll find is that expressing yourself clearly and offering a better alternative to what has been said is much tougher that throwing hand grenades down from your high horse.

* Don't let your political biases get in the way. I grew up in a household with one Democrat and one Republican parent. I learned to see the scoundrels in both parties. There are more of them than ever in both parties. My point is that most of us could care less whether a coronavirus treatment is endorsed by one party or another. We want what will work. Avoid knee-jerk reactions and offer a sound alternative to another person's post if you disagree with it. Stay out of the political weeds, however. That jungle is too thick for any of us to make progress cutting through.

* Offer new ideas. There's a lot of rehashing of the same topics here. Try something fresh if you are exposed to it. The whole idea is to share knowledge and expand the understanding of people who visit this thread.

Thank you! I've been posting at TMC since 2013 and want to see this resource remain worthwhile.

The University of Washington has done projections for the peak in each state and how many beds and ICU beds will be needed. Some states are going to be disasters.

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

I think they're underestimating what's going to happen in some states that are just getting started. But it's probably pretty accurate for states well into their outbreaks.
Carl Bergstrom has a few thoughts on the model. He is not a fan ?

Carl T. Bergstrom on Twitter

Seems Spain received a lot of junk tests from China and junk PPE.
Toyko is now seeing a rise.
Until the US provides enough PPE for healthcare workers AND the hoarders, there will not be supplies of acceptable equipment to normal citizens.

So would you rather your healthcare professionals have PPE or people on the street? The hoarders have decided it will be one or the other.

The US now makes less than 5% of the masks and less than 2% of the gloves. That was our decision as a nation.

We are talking about the same formula, which I used for the infection rate growth calculation.

So with your example it's either :
144/120-1=20% / 120/100-1=20%
Or:
22/120=20% / 20/100=20%

This figure is steadily decreasing in Europe to single digits at the moment. The US is also decreasing steadily. Of course, measurement error in the data seems to be present (not enough test volume growth)
Now I follow.

It will help to be consistent with the lingo:
If Growth rate is a decimal
Growth factor is = Growth rate + 1

NYS hospitalization Growth factor this past week:

Coronavirus Hospitalization Numbers Are Spotty. Journalists, Help Us Fill in the Gaps. — ProPublica

That is the number we watch because that’s the number that are flowing into the health care system,” Cuomo said on March 18, adding that 549 patients were in the hospital as of that morning.

The numbers have gone up each day. On Friday, the number of hospitalizations broke 1,000. On Monday, 2,000. On Tuesday, 3000. And on Thursday, there were 5,327 people hospitalized in New York state, of which 1,290 were in intensive care units

IIRC NYS has ~ 100k total "hospital beds."
Optimistically that might be 20k acute care beds available for Covid, so at the current growth rate the hospitals will be stuffed this week. Scary stuff, and we are just at the beginning

From the 'Covid Project'

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 10.51.47 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the Bay Area may have reason to be cautiously optimistic:

Bend it like the Bay Area: Doctors see flatter curve after 2 weeks of social isolation
Anecdotal information - my wife went grocery shopping today for the first time in 2 weeks. She said at least 30% of the shoppers in our area were wearing face masks, which I thought was significant considering it was 0% the last time she went. Granted, it was merely the timeslice she happened to see. She did visit three stores, however.

It's possible the residents of the Bay Area are taking this more seriously than some other areas, which would contribute to this effect.