Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of times cults like that only interact with themselves except for seeking new sheep, so there's a pretty good chance that they are mainly self limited.

Many of them go to work just like everybody else. The coworkers almost all the time have no clue whether they’re in the cult. Many times, even friends and family also do not know they’re in a cult. So, No. They don’t just keep to themselves.

Many of them go to work just like everybody else. The coworkers almost all the time have no clue whether they’re in the cult. Many times, even friends and family also do not know they’re in a cult. So, No. They don’t just keep to themselves.
That is all true, but it misses the point that the authorities take advantage of the incubation period to track down contacts, and SK might be a country where people self-report early symptoms and get tested.

That is all true, but it misses the point that the authorities take advantage of the incubation period to track down contacts, and SK might be a country where people self-report early symptoms and get tested.
Actually SK outbreak is linked to a secretive sect/cult. They don't even tell anyone they go to the church and people testing positive wouldn't tell authorities about the church in the beginning.

• Informative
Reactions: Nocturnal
Actually SK outbreak is linked to a secretive sect/cult. They don't even tell anyone they go to the church and people testing positive wouldn't tell authorities about the church in the beginning.

Since when is going to church something that people need to broadcast? That's a very Chairman Mao'ish idea. Last time I checked, SK has similar religious freedoms to the USA.

Reactions: X Fan
Also, all 300k weren't exactly meeting in the same place in Chengdu.
They have about 1,000 churches.

BTW, this shows how ham-handed the response can be in US.

A large building in downtown Seattle, F5, was closed today because "an employee was in contact with a known case, even though the employee tested negative". There are probably a hundred infected people are walking around in the city freely that are yet to be tested.

I was just reading about China's "virus risk" app, and it's rather interesting (albeit rather authoritarian in its current form). It connects with people's AliPay accounts and sends the user's GPS coordinates to a central database, and if a person has been near a confirmed or suspected carrier, they're flagged as suspected.

It occurred to me that Google and Apple could easily implement a non-intrusive version of that. That is, only logging GPS coordinates locally. Only confirmed carriers get their location histories broadcast (names redacted). Everyone else's phones downloads the latest location reports and compares them against their stored location history. If they were possibly exposed, it could then warn the user and give them instructions.

If such a service ran on pretty much everyone's phone, you could stop local transmission of serious diseases in its tracks...

Would you mind sharing the link

Two positives were announced in the Tampa Area (northwest FL) and the entire supply of hand sanitizers is wiped out in Naples/Ft. Myers area (170 mi away). Of course, since we live in a capatilistic society, Amazon has sellers listing 2 small dispensers for $650 (who should be arrested btw).

The run on hand sanitizers reminds me of what happens in the South with re: to milk & break when there is a 2" snow forecast.

Screw hand sanitizers. This virus is a lipid-enveloped virus. Good hand washing with soap should be sufficient to kill it.

Sure, but problem is 99.9% of the population do not do so. Like I said in another post. Do you know how many seconds is suggested to rub hands with soap while washing hands? I have never seen anyone besides those who work in a medical care setting actually follow the suggestion. In fact, at work, I've made sure to remember who are the ones that do not even bother to wash hands.

Reactions: NicoV and X Fan
Since when is going to church something that people need to broadcast? That's a very Chairman Mao'ish idea. Last time I checked, SK has similar religious freedoms to the USA.
Nothing regarding broadcasting … you should read how it spread in SK.

When trying to figure out the contacts of people who were suspected of having the virus early on, they wouldn't say they went to the church (where they all sit on the ground, shoulder to shoulder for 2 hour service) - delaying authorities from finding out the extent of outbreak. Apparently this church is controversial in SK (and are attacked by other churches as a cult) and the church tells its members to be secretive.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/a...f-south-koreas-explosive-coronavirus-outbreak

Reactions: KSilver2000
Sure, but problem is 99.9% of the population do not do so. Like I said in another post. Do you know how many seconds is suggested to rub hands with soap while washing hands? I have never seen anyone besides those who work in a medical care setting actually follow the suggestion. In fact, at work, I've made sure to remember who are the ones that do not even bother to wash hands.

Social Darwinism? Seriously, if people are told that they can reduce their risk of contracting the virus with frequent hand washing, and they decline to do so, that's on them.

Social Darwinism? Seriously, if people are told that they can reduce their risk of contracting the virus with frequent hand washing, and they decline to do so, that's on them.

I think you missed my point.
When it comes to hand washing, it's not just the frequency that matters. What matters more is the length of hand washing. Even if you wash your hands a hundred times a day for only a few seconds, it won't be as effective as washing just a handful of times a day for 15-20 seconds.

• Disagree
Reactions: X Fan and SageBrush
I think you missed my point.
When it comes to hand washing, it's not just the frequency that matters. What matters more is the length of hand washing. Even if you wash your hands a hundred times a day for only a few seconds, it won't be as effective as washing just a handful of times a day for 15-20 seconds.

We always taught our children to sing the abc's which covers the 15-20 seconds. Having said that, in a tourist environment such as Naples (whereby folks are not always getting immediate access to a sink), hand sanitizers are important tool too.

Nothing regarding broadcasting … you should read how it spread in SK.

When trying to figure out the contacts of people who were suspected of having the virus early on, they wouldn't say they went to the church (where they all sit on the ground, shoulder to shoulder for 2 hour service) - delaying authorities from finding out the extent of outbreak. Apparently this church is controversial in SK (and are attacked by other churches as a cult) and the church tells its members to be secretive.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-02-27/sbefoecretive-church-at-center-of-south-koreas-explosive-coronavirus-outbreak

This.

Since it sounds like many on the board here are neither Korean or Japanese. So, I'll put this out there before more misinformation is circulated.

In Korean and Japanese culture, much more than in the Western world, there's a lot of self-consciousness and stigma of being labeled with a disability (and not just in the medical meaning). Until a pig flies or hell freezes, no way an individual will voluntarily come out to say they are part of a cult (well, first of all, they don't even view their religion as a cult) or that they have a rare disease. You not only shame yourself, but your family will also get treated differently if identified. So, these 200,000 people (don't get this mixed up with the 300,000 number that is the global count) aren't just going to show up. The authorities needed the ir contacts from the church leadership.