Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could have, or college kids from the Northeast (where they already had big outbreaks) could have brought it to Florida with them spread it around down there. Bottom line is that, despite all of the doomsday assertions about Florida back in march and the unfavorable demographics of the state, Florida is doing pretty well compared to most other states.
@golfcarf
Really? Seriously?
Florida is #9
Florida Coronavirus: 52,634 Cases and 2,320 Deaths (COVID-19 ) - Worldometer
US is 5.8% deaths
Florida is 4.4% death
Lee county, where I live is ->5.8% deaths
(SW Florida near Sanibel and Captiva)
There is strong suspicion that gov Desantis is massaging numbers to lower them, firing the lady who managed the website w/numbers and squelching the ME’s (medical examiners)

Going to grocery store, many wear masks, many regard it as optional, or don’t cover nose, or ,
I swear to ghod this is true, wear the mask on an arm

There was a rally for trump with boats, ‘because’ this weekend
, reading the comments in the local “Cape Coral Daily Breeze, well, there will probably be a pulse of inter generational involuntary wealth transfer, some seem to believe that Covid19 is trying to deny trump reelection

I expect some kind of upward bump in numbers as distancing is relaxed

I disagree Florida is doing so well, being #9
general onsite observations

The idea is to get a picture of where the disease is (and get rid of all infections of unknown source). It's like having a puzzle with 80% of the pieces in place, rather than 5% of the pieces. Makes it a lot easier to fill in the remaining pieces if you have most of the pieces in place already.

I wish that this is what we were doing. We aren't doing any random testing where I live as far as I know and I read and watch a lot of news. A couple of days ago on the 11pm news they showed a map of where to get tested in my county. All needed appointments referred by a doctor except 1 of the 5. I noted the address (a park/community center) since I was going to be near there the next day. I drove by and saw nothing...no cars, no signs, just an abandoned looking park with yellow tape on everything.

Oh, and nearby in SF they have been saying for weeks that they can test 5000 people per day at one location but they have only been getting about 500. I have reliable info on this since my neighbor's daughter is an ICU Dr. there. Hospital was busiest in the area but now not so much.

It is as if they (local leaders) don't know what they are doing if they can't get test and track going.

It's official. Over 10% of US C19 deaths are in New York nursing homes.

Interesting. There are also reports that households are a point of concentrated spread.

It is a bit rhetorical but I wonder what would change if all those in homes were being cared for primarily with families where there is really no PPE. Would it be better or worse overall. Is it a confluence of susceptibility and lack of PPE that is the primary problem? Is it the asymptomatic on top of the susceptible and lack of PPE that is the spark?

Or maybe it is just the highly susceptible and sharing common air that is the root of the spread in these homes - PPE not being much of a vector influence.

Going to grocery store, many wear masks, many regard it as optional, or don’t cover nose, or ,
I really do think that the solution here is to petition the stores to have early hours where proper mask use, hand washing, and social distancing is mandatory and enforced by the store. The trumpers will contaminate the store throughout the day but during the night the store can ventilate.

It is not perfect but it is vastly better than being in close contact with morons.

Last edited:
It’s more pathetic by the day.
Even mask wearing has become a political point to some.

Today I drove by an intersection that had a red light that had been flickering for a couple of days.
There was a city maintenance truck there with 5 or 6 orange cones and a guy on a cherry picker swapping out the light.
One guy. One truck. Outside in 95F heat. No one within 100 ft. (except me in my car stopped at the light watching)
He had on a black face mask.
Why? What scientific study says this is needed?
City politics? Union rules? Personal preference?

(I wear a mask everywhere I go when near people, such as at stores and restaurant pickups)

OK, but do you have people there politicizing it? My daughter is in Germany and while she and her friends were getting tired of the lockdown there, no one seemed to declare it a hoax or claim it was all to grab power. It's crazy here where people you thought were sane normal folks are now crazy trump supporters denying the reality of what is going on. It embarrasses my daughter to tell her the latest because she knows people will ask her about it there. Hopefully they come up with a working treatment or a reliable safe vaccine soon.

Germans stage protests against lockdown measures, social distancing rules

Reactions: MXLRplus
It is a straw man argument that it is about the money. It is clearly not. It is about being human and not plants. Humankind was always about making sacrifies for our ambitions, plants could never do that. It is about not choosing shame between shame and war every hour of every day.
It is about looking forward for the future for our children (those who are thrown under the bus currently with zoom schoolling) instead of clinging on the past.
...not at all about the children whose parents and grandparent die, unnecessarily? Make your own sacrifices for ambition, do not try to justify sacrificing others.

That's bizarre because you can now go in stores and even cafes are open now in Germany, at least in Mannheim where my daughter is. What are they protesting? Lack of movie theaters and concerts? Her university is still on remote video lectures but they are talking about possibly having some in person small classes next semester. I guess they have their idiots as well. I'll let her know. Thanks.

@golfcarf
Really? Seriously?
Florida is #9
Florida Coronavirus: 52,634 Cases and 2,320 Deaths (COVID-19 ) - Worldometer
US is 5.8% deaths
Florida is 4.4% death
Lee county, where I live is ->5.8% deaths
(SW Florida near Sanibel and Captiva)
There is strong suspicion that gov Desantis is massaging numbers to lower them, firing the lady who managed the website w/numbers and squelching the ME’s (medical examiners)

There was a rally for trump with boats, ‘because’ this weekend
, reading the comments in the local “Cape Coral Daily Breeze, well, there will probably be a pulse of inter generational involuntary wealth transfer, some seem to believe that Covid19 is trying to deny trump reelection

I expect some kind of upward bump in numbers as distancing is relaxed

I disagree Florida is doing so well, being #9
general onsite observations

Florida ranks in the bottom half of the country in deaths per capita despite having a large senior population and multiple large cities and tourism centers. I’d suggest sorting by deaths / 1 million people as Florida is a large state. If you only look at total deaths it would make you think that all of the large states are having terrible outbreaks and all of the small states are doing well.

The Anti-Vax movement out west is championed by Hollywood personalities. It dates back 20 years.

Marin county (just north of SF) is well known for being liberal (maybe 10:1) and having the lowest (or very low) vaccination rate in the state...although they have improved a bit lately.

Jenny McCarthy was (is still?) a big anti vaxer as well as Robert Kennedy Jr.
So there are well known anti vaxers on both sides

That's bizarre because you can now go in stores and even cafes are open now in Germany, at least in Mannheim where my daughter is. What are they protesting? Lack of movie theaters and concerts? Her university is still on remote video lectures but they are talking about possibly having some in person small classes next semester. I guess they have their idiots as well. I'll let her know. Thanks.

not sure but I don’t think the US has cornered the market on idiots. Although maybe we have the most per capita.

Today I drove by an intersection that had a red light that had been flickering for a couple of days.
There was a city maintenance truck there with 5 or 6 orange cones and a guy on a cherry picker swapping out the light.
One guy. One truck. Outside in 95F heat. No one within 100 ft. (except me in my car stopped at the light watching)
He had on a black face mask.
Why? What scientific study says this is needed?
City politics? Union rules? Personal preference?

(I wear a mask everywhere I go when near people, such as at stores and restaurant pickups)
I can tell you that in Los Angeles, the Mayor ordered all City employees to wear a mask at all times when outside. Part to set example and part to protect their health. Not doing so can lead to disciplinary action.

Even though he was up in a bucket, when he was done and came down, any person could be standing there wanting to talk to him. You would not believe how many random people come up to maintenance workers with complaints (parking tickets, trash collection, graffiti removal, etc.) and aren't wearing a mask.

Reactions: jerry33
I really do think that the solution here is to petition the stores to have early hours where proper mask use, hand washing, and social distancing is mandatory and enforced by the store. The trumpers will contaminate the store throughout the day but during the night the store can ventilate.

It is not perfect but it is vastly better than being in close contact with morons.

they have that here, near me. I needed to get something from the local Target and they had 'senior hours' (well, ok, I get those stupid AARP things in the mail - annoying as hell - but I am old enough, I guess) so I took advantage of that. its 8am to 9am; and the local safeway is 6am to 8am (?). some places its monday, some its tues - you have to check.

the bay area tends to have people who respect the mask concept; but I still prefer to go in early when its even more enforced.

I think this is the only solution to the dual-nature of the political beast we have in the US. our potus made it a point to create two groupings and his followers will not be convinced to wear a mask while in close prox, in public. we can't lock them all up (wish we could), but the best we can realistically do is enforce partitioned hours, so to speak.

real damned shame this country has gotton this low. in my life, I have never seen division like this, before. there's no sign of it slowing down - the plague rats want to have their freedumbs and so they should be free from 9am or 10am onwards. give us the early part of the day and stay the hell out of our areas.