Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes but NY was having like a 50% positivity rate. We probably only caught one out of every 10 or 20 cases in NY officially. NY real numbers a day were probably around 50k if not more

That's a good point. The only infected person in my extended family had covid mid March in Manhattan. He tested for a high antibody level a couple of weeks ago. He had a fever but no other symptoms.

He had no safe way to get a test.

Quoting myself...case in point:
'We don't live in a communist country!': battle over masks rages in Texas

"...Laurie Smith, 50. She is an administrative employee at a local church, where she is also a member, and calls mandatory mask requirements a sign of “sad” government manipulation. “My college-age kids are able to follow the recommendations without questioning it, but my husband and I are of a different generation, and we value our liberty to be able to make our own choices. So we question it more than they do,” she said."

50 years old. Wonder what periods of endangered liberty she has lived through. Unless she's not white.

“We don’t live in a communist country! This is supposed to be America,” said Tee Allen Parker, who has banned wearing of masks at her bar."
The 45-year-old owner of the Machine Shed Bar & Grill in Kilgore, east Texas, has become the face of the resistance fighting mask-wearing among the business community in the state.
She said: “It’s an individual choice. There’s been nothing scientific that says masks are effective.I choose not to wear it, but I don’t let thousands of people breathe on me.”
Parker is leading 22 bar owners and Texans who have sued the governor for closing bars again last week after a new surge in Covid-19 cases. She points out that Abbott met the family of George Floyd without wearing a mask.
She said: “There’s a picture of the governor sitting with his family with no mask on. You can’t tell me to do something you won’t do. You lead by example.”

Well, guess she's got a point there.
Though that was 3 weeks ago, and sometimes even the thickest people are able to learn something new.
"it's an individual choice" says "Tee Allen Parker, who has banned wearing of masks at her bar". Irony has died and gone to heaven.

Quoting myself...case in point:
'We don't live in a communist country!': battle over masks rages in Texas

"...Laurie Smith, 50. She is an administrative employee at a local church, where she is also a member, and calls mandatory mask requirements a sign of “sad” government manipulation. “My college-age kids are able to follow the recommendations without questioning it, but my husband and I are of a different generation, and we value our liberty to be able to make our own choices. So we question it more than they do,” she said."

50 years old. Wonder what periods of endangered liberty she has lived through. Unless she's not white.

“We don’t live in a communist country! This is supposed to be America,” said Tee Allen Parker, who has banned wearing of masks at her bar."
The 45-year-old owner of the Machine Shed Bar & Grill in Kilgore, east Texas, has become the face of the resistance fighting mask-wearing among the business community in the state.
She said: “It’s an individual choice. There’s been nothing scientific that says masks are effective.I choose not to wear it, but I don’t let thousands of people breathe on me.”
Parker is leading 22 bar owners and Texans who have sued the governor for closing bars again last week after a new surge in Covid-19 cases. She points out that Abbott met the family of George Floyd without wearing a mask.
She said: “There’s a picture of the governor sitting with his family with no mask on. You can’t tell me to do something you won’t do. You lead by example.”

Well, guess she's got a point there.
Though that was 3 weeks ago, and sometimes even the thickest people are able to learn something new.

I believe if we allowed people that got sick from COVID-19 to sue those people they have been in contact with that REFUSE to wear masks, this attitude would change.

And from a societal standpoint, it is an interesting development that in the past 10 years or so the mindset of "freedom" has become unlimited. In the past, it was understood that one's freedom had reasonable bounds (i.e. I'm not free to go out and shoot anyone for any reason, it just doesn't work that way). When freedom infringes on the freedom and personal liberty of another individual, it is clear that there should be an obvious limitation.

So yeah, if those people that get sick are allowed to sue those people that don't comply with "common sense" guidelines and regulations designed for the safety of the population, perhaps we might see some of these attitudes change.

My 0.02.

Yes but NY was having like a 50% positivity rate. We probably only caught one out of every 10 or 20 cases in NY officially. NY real numbers a day were probably around 50k if not more
COVID Projections says NY peaked at 100k infections per day and FL is currently at 25k. Despite their name I don't think their projections are all that great, but their historical estimates fit nicely with known data.
Daily cases are way down from the recent peak, ...
In CA? That's not what I see. I do agree they aren't spiking as bad as AZ, FL and TX, though.
I believe if we allowed people that got sick from COVID-19 to sue those people they have been in contact with that REFUSE to wear masks, this attitude would change.
I'm no fan of lawyers, but it's true the "personal choice" crowd completely ignores the personal responsibility part of equation. Just substitute driving drunk for wearing a mask.

"It's my choice to drive drunk. I enjoy it and I'm willing to take the risk. If somebody is afraid of that, they can choose to stay home".

In CA? That's not what I see. I

I was going by this state Gov graphic

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 12.17.09 PM.png

Don't look now, but looks like NY & NYC may be on the way back up. Oh well.

In AZ over the last 4 days, 12.6k cases, but the moat protecting the elderly is holding for now (there are continuing outbreaks in LTCFs and assisted living, though):

10% above 65 years old
10% between 55-64
16% between 45-54
54% between 20-44
10% under age 20.

So I'd expect IFR (not CFR) to remain around 0.3% with these numbers. Very approximate, basing on ~0.6% or so with 20% of infections over age 65 that we had earlier.

Suggests about 13k infections per day about a two weeks ago in AZ, which seems about right. Probably up to 20k per day now, giving ~60 deaths per day in a couple weeks.

Last edited:

And from a societal standpoint, it is an interesting development that in the past 10 years or so the mindset of "freedom" has become unlimited. In the past, it was understood that one's freedom had reasonable bounds (i.e. I'm not free to go out and shoot anyone for any reason, it just doesn't work that way). When freedom infringes on the freedom and personal liberty of another individual, it is clear that there should be an obvious limitation.

So yeah, if those people that get sick are allowed to sue those people that don't comply with "common sense" guidelines and regulations designed for the safety of the population, perhaps we might see some of these attitudes change.

My 0.02.

Imagine being this guy’s friend now. This CNN reported story I’m sure is being repeated all over America by friends, relatives, co-workers and apparently by those throwing parties to intentionally get people infected as a game. How do you go about knowing your actions, you, hospitalized someone or in this case caused that person’s death? I can’t imagine the feelings of guilt. This friend took this guy’s life just as if he was recklessly driving his car and caused his death. The article doesn’t say if the man who died did or didn’t wear a mask but you know if there’s going to be eating and drinking you are going to be exposed — mask or no mask. I’m afraid with people’s attitudes still we are going to see a whole lot of hospitalizations and deaths, and even lifelong illness among survivors, after this 4th of July weekend. That’s not celebrating freedom by any means.

Thomas Macias posted he regretted attending a party. He died of coronavirus the next day - CNN

No way with covid everywhere for months now can these people say they haven’t heard how dangerous and deadly it can be. Everyone has a part to play in all of us staying health during this time.

Last edited:

My 0.02.
And too many of those people shouting for "freedom" are against women having their own personal choice about abortion, or gay marriage and other things that have NO personal effect on them - unlike masks or vaccines that can protect other people.

And too many of those people shouting for "freedom" are against women having their own personal choice about abortion, or gay marriage and other things that have NO personal effect on them - unlike masks or vaccines that can protect other people.

As a physician, I'm not the person to talk about abortion. I firmly believe that the rights of the unborn child are woefully under-represented in our country.

Rest of, I agree with you on.

I really think it’s disadvantageous to mix other issues in with the wearing of masks and following guidelines. The focus needs to be kept on the health aspects as we go deeper into a rising curve in positives. I wish I could say I was optimistic but reading some of the news reports and seeing photos and videos of crowds...

Reactions: jerry33
As a physician, I'm not the person to talk about abortion. I firmly believe that the rights of the unborn child are woefully under-represented in our country.
The real issue is that the same people who want abortion outlawed also want birth control, easy access to birth control, and real informative sex education outlawed. If birth control was readily available to all, and there were real mandatory sex education programs in every school, then abortion wouldn't be an issue because it would only happen for medical reasons, except in rare instances.

The real issue is that the same people who want abortion outlawed also want birth control, easy access to birth control, and real informative sex education outlawed. If birth control was readily available to all, and there were real mandatory sex education programs in every school, then abortion wouldn't be an issue because it would only happen for medical reasons, except in rare instances.

I agree with all of that.

Reactions: blckdmp and jerry33
LA Times did a similar story as the CNN one on the truck driver who died but have to say the photo of him with his niece who won’t get to grow up with him really got to me. Maybe PSAs need to make the message more personal. I know Gov Newsom announced the other day a PR push of various kinds to drive home what kind of fight we are in over this and the need for people to follow guidelines.

Truck driver posts regrets about party a day before dying of coronavirus

I really think it’s disadvantageous to mix other issues in with the wearing of masks and following guidelines. The focus needs to be kept on the health aspects as we go deeper into a rising curve in positives. I wish I could say I was optimistic but reading some of the news reports and seeing photos and videos of crowds...

San Diego is going to be an absolute *sugar* show this weekend. All surrounding counties are closed down due to increasing numbers of COVID-19 cases, but SD County has been trailing them. We will trigger shutdown, but not till Monday.

I just checked Google Maps, and the southbound lanes of I-5 are already backed up. We haven't seen that here since early March.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Does Musk still think covid is a hoax? Is he still part of the zombie personal freedom no mask death cult? I'm glad he's not a medical doctor!

He's pinned a tweet showing his current hot take (in relation to his argument with Dr. Rasmussen yesterday). What a fool. You'd think he could pin a tweet focusing on the massive continuing success of Tesla, which is something he's actually been right about.

Dunning-Kruger in maximum effect, as others have said.

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 12.34.45 PM.png

Last edited:
My Hospital System in Central FL

Daily COVID-19 Patient Update
June 30th
  • Total Positive Inpatients: 201
  • Total Positive in ICUs: 26
  • Rule-out Inpatients Pending: 82
  • Ventilated Patients: 15 Positive COVID-19 and 0 Rule-out COVID-19
July 1st

• Total Positive Inpatients: 226
  • Total Positive in ICUs: 32